Magic Attack Bonus?

Scorpion13

Mongoose
In the sorcery section of the book, when nder a spell it says that it requires a Magic Attack bonus of 5 or 6 or whatever, what precisly do they mean by MAB?

Is it the unmodified bonus you get as you rise in your class, or is it what you get when you add the base bonus with charisma modifiers? Im not really sure about this, and the book doesnt clarify.

Thanks!

Unmodified. Same with instances where some Base Attack Bonus is required as a pre-requisite. The do that just to keep things consistant because otherwise, with the bonuses that can be gained from verious methods, it'd become too confusing.

Yep, I asked a question about a spell earlier and got this resolved the same way, it does call for BASE magic attack bonus, not the magic attack total, which left my sorcerer player waitiing four more levels before he can kill lots of people with Death Touch. :wink:

Yep, that why I needed to know that too. I had to stop the resident munchkin/party-mate killer/npc killing machine from groping people to death.

Scorpion13 said:
In the sorcery section of the book, when nder a spell it says that it requires a Magic Attack bonus of 5 or 6 or whatever, what precisly do they mean by MAB?

Is it the unmodified bonus you get as you rise in your class, or is it what you get when you add the base bonus with charisma modifiers? Im not really sure about this, and the book doesnt clarify.

Thanks!

It seems most new players are unsure of this rule - me included some months ago.

There are a few races that get bonus feats starting off. A few of the selections require a minimum MAB that no 1st level character can have, yet it says the Scholar must meet the pre-reqs. Anyone else find that confusing?

groshnik said:
A few of the selections require a minimum MAB that no 1st level character can have, yet it says the Scholar must meet the pre-reqs. Anyone else find that confusing?
The other pre-reqs of the Feat are required. But it is stated in the beginning of the "Races" chapter that if they are earned as racial feats, you can ignore a +1 pre-req (at least it was so in Atl. Ed, I haven't checked 2nd ED before writing this). It is also valid for a few others like Exotic weapon Proficiency (Stygian Bow) and not only for Scholar feats. Hope that helps.

Back