Lone Wolf Multiplayer Book - March 2010

Excellent news! I am also intrigued by the reference that this introduces the Kai Lord character class, and that this is the first book. That does suggest that other character classes may become available later.

As mentioned in State of the Mongoose 2009:

"What we are really excited about is the release of the all new Lone Wolf Multiplayer Gamebook, appearing in the first quarter of 2010. The mechanics are rooted solidly in those of the solo gamebooks, making the game perfect for those new to roleplaying or who are looking for a much lighter rules set so they can concentrate on character or story.

The first volume contains all the core rules for playing Kai Lords, along with a few starter adventures. We are already planning volumes two, three and four which will add new characters, background and history of Magnamund, as well as a complete campaign against the Kai monks perpetual nemesis, the Dark Lords! All books in this series will appear in our mini-size pocket format, meaning you won’t break your back carrying even the entire set to your local club."

... mini-size pocket ... how small is that? Will the Multiplayer Gamebook be of a size similar to the hardbound collector´s edition?

Also, does anyone else feel that a 140 page softcover mini-size book should be $20? I will get it anyway but it seems on the high side. The normal books are hardcover and have a larger page count.

hal said:
Also, does anyone else feel that a 140 page softcover mini-size book should be $20? I will get it anyway but it seems on the high side. The normal books are hardcover and have a larger page count.

It's a rulebook and so is priced as other rulebooks are priced, given that instead of reading them through one or a few times, you will be constantly referring to them for rules and information.

beowuuf said:
It's a rulebook and so is priced as other rulebooks are priced, given that instead of reading them through one or a few times, you will be constantly referring to them for rules and information.

Its not a big thing, just an observation.

Isn't the trend though to lower the price on rulebooks so as to provide lower entry and make money on later books.

BlackCat said:
The rules. Just check the most recent post on Planet Mongoose.

Thanks for the hint! That blog revealed some nice information about the Multiplayer Gamebook.

I´m still curious about the "pint-size 'pocket' format". Will the MG just look silly sitting next to the hardbound collector´s editions in my bookshelf?

From Planet Mongoose:

Of course, in a full-blown RPG, players need to be able to do more than just fight, so we needed a mechanism to handle characters climbing, sneaking about, pickpocketing, haggling with glum merchants, and general getting up to all the mischief players want. To this end, we introduced the Test. Whenever a player tries to do something that has a chance of failure, he tries to succeed in a Test.

The Games master assigns a Difficulty for the Test, based on how easy (or not) he thinks the task is. A Difficulty of 2 or 3 is really easy, 9 or 10 is very hard - the player simply rolls a D10 (or picks a number - yes, the number chart will be in the multiplayer gamebook as well, so you don't even need dice!), and if he scores equal or higher than the Difficulty, he succeeeds. It is as easy as that (and, in fact, is exactly the same system as the solo gamebooks uses for non-combat tasks, though they tackle it a slightly different way).

There is, however, a chance for a player to 'barter' his way into a few bonuses, however. A particularly good piece of roleplaying may get the Games Master to grant him a +1 or +2 bonus towards getting the merchant to lower his prices. More importantly, the characters various disciplines will often be written into adventures. For example, calming a manic horse frightened by Giaks may be a Difficulty 8 Test, but if someone has Animal Kinship, they will find they get an automatic bonus, making the task much easier. Bonuses based on disciplines are always worked out at half the character's rank, rounded down - everyone starts at Rank 5, so they get a +2 bonus to all areas of their own specialities. Among a whole party, most areas will be covered, giving the players a decent chance of success.

So this means there will not be any kind of stat or skill system? Characters are differentiated mechanically only by special class abilities? That certainly does simplify things, and there is still the opportunity for bonuses from clever roleplaying.

I was hoping for an abbreviated skill system, sort of like that in Freeway Warrior (which was otherwise very similar to LW), with a handful of skills in addition to the combat system. This could work, though, and it is in keeping with the solo gamebooks' method of handling such things. I'll still be checking it out.

As all GMs have done since time immemorial - you can always house rule it :) At least the system will be compatible with Freeway warrior's skill system as you say!

House rules are my staple bread and butter, have been for the last 30 years. Also, the MP Gamebook system is designed to mirror the solo adventure books. It is definitely a good thing though, very easy to learn/use for new players/GMs.

Exciting news to be sure. :D At LAST we see the multiplayer gamebook. I can't wait until march.

I just hope mind over matter (or whatever its called) can be used to throw objects as projectiles to cause damage to foes.

Its a bit of a pity we don't have the brotherhood of the crystal star as a class, as Banedon joins us in the very first gamebook. Oh well, hopefully future books will cover multiple classes instead of just one per supplement. It would be cool to see the brotherhood wizard and the Vakeros both covered in the first supplement.

I wonder what new classes they will offer down the road. The brotherhood of the crystal star and the vakeros are a given. I would also like to see the Shianti Sorceror and the dwarven gunner of bor.

New planet mongoose entry up (dec 15th) states that the rulebook will also cover rules for the magnakai. That makes me happy. :)

I wonder if we will ever see rules for grandmaster kai? Doing that can be pretty tricky, because if you add in rules for one class (the kai) you need to include rules for all the other classes. But in the gamebooks we only have evidence that Lonewolf gaining grandmaster levels was pretty exceptional a thing.

Not after the darklord war - he had five grandmasters trained by MS5085 (I think that's the date) for the New Order Grandmaster series

I think Xex meant that a class capable of acquiring that level of power was an exceptional thing, the Kai being one of only a few classes able to do this. In a similar way Grey Star acquires higher knowledge of Shianti magic when he recovers the Moonstone. The danger of making other classes more powerful is that they tend to be able to use skills and abilities of other classes - a really powerful Brotherhood wizard may well be versed in Vakeros, Magi, Shianti and Herbwarden powers but in a party with all 5 that character could outshine the others and not even need them.
A Vakeros with equivalent power to a GM might be looking forward to casting some really powerful battle magic to learn they can now cast Lightning Hand or Net - "But I like Hold Enemy/Powergrasp! What's the difference?"
That said it might be kind of fun for a Brotherhood Wizard, upon watching his Kai companion receive a Kai Weapon and begin Grand Master training, return to Toran to ask Banedon what they could learn next to find the Guildmaster shrug and say he has taught them everything he knows. The only thing that hasn't been read are those forbidden books in the library last touched by Vonotar, seems very tempting: Could the Brotherhood wizard make 'Good' use of them?

Back