Levels for adventuring

munari

Mongoose
I was wondering what everyone thought was a good level for adventuring. I like having PCs start at Level 1 and working all the way up, but in this game, at least as far as storyline would go, I don't think Level 1 characters would be sent to do any missions.

What do the rest of you think. At what Level does a character "come of age" for adventuring, again, keeping the story and setting in mind.

I've just started my characters at Level 3. It makes them just tough enough to deal with a wider range of enemies without spoiling them by giving them too much too quickly. Based on the titles of the levels for each character Lvl 5 would probably be okay. I suppose it depends on how tough you want them to be at the start.

Hey you two, you're fairly new users on these forums. Did you go vote for Lone Wolf in the thread titled "Vote for your favourite game" on the main Mongoose forum? If not, then what are you waiting for! We need all the votes we can get. :)

I've started players at L5 and L7. It really all just depends on what you plan to throw at them, and how you let them generate characters.

KL

I have started with characters at level 3 but quickly increasing to 4 (after 1 evening). Then the pace is far slower.

I must say that I roughly follow the original storiline of the book and that we are now at the end of book 2 (Fire on the Water.... and shadow in the sky-y!) :p

I would like to have them just start from level 1 and build all the way up from there, but I can't think of anything legitimate that would: a) be something for a novice to go and do that would b) get all of the PCs together. A short adventure to a local training ground would only be for an adventurer, not all of them together...

Also, part of this is that I have not run a d20 game. I don't want to let them start too high and then max out too quickly. But, it looks like maxing out could take a LONG time, especially if I use the XP system...

Any other ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

Munari: I strongly encourage you to donwload and read the introducing adventure "Blood Moon Rising" writen by August Hahn. It's purposedly designed for beginning characters. I'm curently reading this adventure (not finished yet) and I can say I'm termendously enthusiastic!

This adventure is EXACTLY what you need to begin quietly and get more familiar with the D20 rules. I thank August very much for such a good (and not expensive!!!) job. :D

My players started at lvl 1 and after a easy adventure got to lvl 3 and 2 (only the kai lord is at 2nd)
I'm planning by the end of next adventure ti get them at least to 4th.. then I will harden a little BMR... and they should be at lvl 5th or 6th...

It depends on if you want to start with "Fend off a Giak raiding party attacking a caravan of pilgrims" (level 1) or "Attempt to stop Drakkarim assassins from killing the Baron of Tyso" (level 3). Low-level adventures can sometimes suck for the lack of options available, but it does give everyone a chance to start small and work their way up.

I think level 5 is a good starting point, just the time when a Kai Lord may be needed to run to a capital cities, pursued by an evil force, after a massacre :p
Although I did find it a LOT easier to create interesting challenges (encounter wise) at level 1, challenge rating 2 was just perfect for their encounters and I'm getting too lazy to work it out at later levels. particularly as I'm never sure how many players I will have each session

Munari: if, after Dawn of Destruction and Blood Moon Rising you still need idea's for starting adventures for a first level party then please contact me and I can give you some ideas.

munari said:
I was wondering what everyone thought was a good level for adventuring. I like having PCs start at Level 1 and working all the way up, but in this game, at least as far as storyline would go, I don't think Level 1 characters would be sent to do any missions.

What do the rest of you think. At what Level does a character "come of age" for adventuring, again, keeping the story and setting in mind.

I generaly make my players start their characters at level 1. At level 1 they will not be summoned to the King's throne room and told that "you're the only person who can do this quest even 'though all my servants are much better than you because this is a rubbish console game that wants to make you feel really important right at the beginning".

If an important (major) npc summons the characters to doa task for them it's because they have earned it (by virtue of reputation). If the characters are an unknown bunch of nobody's they're unlikely to get hired by people who don't even know them. If they have a reputation for performing heroic deeds (like a few characters I once know who brought a dead wyvern back to town, propped it up and then summoned the villagers to watch them "finish killing it" to try and get a larger reward) then they're more likely to be given the big jobs (wether they can handle them or not).

and also with me start at level 1 so they have time to grow into their pc dont like parashooting into higher levels even with the epic feel of lone wolf just my view 8)

I tend to start all my PCs off at level 1, their request. They like the feeling of growing in strength, character, power and even understanding of the world itself.

Normally I start at level 1, With Lone wolf I ended up starting at level 2 as it gave the PCs a bit more scope to choose charicter abilities. (As most of the party diddnet get a choice of ability at first level.)

TBH though I dont think hard and fast rules work, if your going to try and closly follow the books for you game you may want to start at 5, if your looking to run a 5 session short story where the PCs battle Naar himself you may start at 25. Its all down to the dictates of the story your trying to tell.

that is a really good point, Jadrax, although I have always liked starting at lvl 1 simply as it allows players and characters to grow into each other (and it does not really take all that long to go up the first couple of ranks, really)

Al

Back