Level of technology.

Sweetness

Mongoose
Ok, in the core rule book it alludes to "clock work" devices. Has anyone incorporated any "devices" such as complex traps, door, or any types of technology not associated with mainstream fantasy? Also are there any instances of gun powder in any of the conan novels you are aware of?

Sweetness said:
Also are there any instances of gun powder in any of the conan novels you are aware of?
The closest I've ever read that could be equated to gunpowder comes, I belive, at the end of the story Red Nails. Conan signals to a ship off the coast, and they reply with signal rockets. In the "real world" these types of rockets were propelled by gunpowder. Nowhere in the original stories have I come across any mention of direct fire weapons.

Since 'fire weapons' of various times, including types of grenades, have existed around the world even in what we might call 'Ancient' times -- I would be hardpressed, as a DM, to explain why I wouldn't allow them in my games. I just wouldn't.

To me, anything that invokes a sense of "the modern" in my players is not suitable for my games. Firebombs existed in real history long before the first use of the hand-gonne or plate armour. But I know a player, even a history-minded one, is not going to be able to separate "firebomb" from "grenade" in casual usage. So I don't allow such things.

Things like clockwork creatures are even worse.

So that's my criteria. If Howard didn't directly write about it, and I think it is very likely to invoke a sense of the modern in my games, I leave it out.

Sweetness said:
What are your feelings on technology. How far is too far?
It depends on the fields. De Camp wrote an excellent essay on this subject (Hyborian Technology) with can be found in "The Blade of Conan" (with another essay on the ocean trade). The book is out of print but can be found on ebay or www.abebook.com.
A very recommended reading.

I have in the past incorporated very intricate clockwork traps, golems, locks, and adventuring devices such as a clockwork pump used to feed a hose while my players scraped barnacles off the bottom of trading ships. On a side note they didn't like the scraping part.
I have incorporated black powder to a certain degree using the name "black rock". Do you not think it would be possible for it to exist in the hyborian age?

In our Hyborian campaign, we try to keep the tech level at or about the level of late antiquity (for the historically inclined, think a combination of the Hellenistic peiod-which was surprisingly scientifically advanced-and second century Rome).

Hyborian magitech? Not in my game! :D

Rome had very advanced clock work devices as well as singing birds and automatic doors not to mention steam and advanced clockwork navigation equipment. What did you think they just walked off a roman mile? No, it was a clockwork device. Also roman had sophisticated war machines such as a gatlin like mounted crossbow.

Sweetness said:
Rome had very advanced clock work devices as well as singing birds and automatic doors not to mention steam and advanced clockwork navigation equipment. What did you think they just walked off a roman mile? No, it was a clockwork device. Also roman had sophisticated war machines such as a gatlin like mounted crossbow.
They took it all from the Greek. :wink:

The armor and weapons in conan are equal if not superior to what the everyday soldier had in roman times. So would the technology also reflect that as far as roads, infrastructure, clockworks, and so on?

Sweetness said:
The armor and weapons in conan are equal if not superior to what the everyday soldier had in roman times. So would the technology also reflect that as far as roads, infrastructure, clockworks, and so on?

With the caveat that we shouldn't push historical comparisons too far, remember that RW Antiquity was remarkably socially complex; the Roman Principate (Empire), at least during the Pax Romana, an administrative marvel (I think Virgil once told the Romans that their blessing from the gods was in governing...), certainly far more socially advanced than post-Roman Europe up until the late Middle Ages and/or early modernity. I see no reason why, especially in advanced states such as Aquilonia, that large scale public works...roads, public buildings, aqueducts...couldn't or shouldn't exist.

As mentioned earlier, the Greeks, while more politically fractious, were even more technologically advanced. Recent evidence points to working steam engines, advanced mathematics, and even a bronze clockwork "computer" recently discovered on the floor of the Aegean. Greek medicine was also much more advanced, perhaps due to Hellenistic anatomical inquiries made via vivisection on condemned prisoners.

Since Howard culled freely from a variety of ancient cultures, I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same. :D

I use mechanical devices based upon ancient technologies, particularly the Greek ones. I like the one that opens the doors when a sacrifice is burned on an alter. Also the device that moves by itself through a system of ropes and pulleys.
I stay away from complex chemical explosive powders, except as part of a magic spell.

I don't have any Talents allowing PCs to learn or use these devices. Only certain NPCs can fashion these devices, and they don't share their knowledge. So such devices are very rare in my Hyboria.

I use the Weakness Fear of Magic, when PCs encounter such devices.

I would make healing advanced from the east maybe and also weapon crafting as a mans worth really rely on these but the rest would leave alone or as remains no longer understood of advance cultures gone the way of the dodo :shock: .going to nick the blood altar idea have just the tomb it would fit in like a glove 8)

think its part of the conan charm that once broken its gone :twisted: so see the scholar go into a fit with the gear a barbarian is wreaking for fun :shock:

so see the scholar go into a fit with the gear a barbarian is wreaking for fun

Now I've been trashing the Scholar class for days on end, but I may have missed the boat on that one. If you can keep the Scholar away from excessive magic use (so the other players don't behead him, ha!), he/she may actually have a great role in figuring things out for all those ignorant savages.

Back