Legend of.. Conan?

Darkholme

Mongoose
Just thinking a bit.

So I'm thinking Legend would be a much better fit for the Conan world than D20 is.

If one were inclined to try to use Legend to run a Conan game, what would need to change?

How would you represent the various Conan Races? Would you give them differences in stats like in Vikings? or would you just give them different cultures? or Both?

What would you for a world with Conan-Style Magic? Is there a good option, or would it be better to drop the magic system entirely and make an attempt to convert the d20 Conan 2e Magic system?

I'm interested in hearing what people have to say.

Thoughts?

Regarding magic:
I would remove common magic for Conan, easy enough to do seeing as it's just an option really.
I would probably integrate the Elric Runes instead of the various magic as well, Magic in Conan isn't very DnDesque..
Elric Rune magic is powerful in it's own way, but you can't shoot stuff like firebolts and so on, which IMO is not suitable for Conan.

Races:
To add variety I would probably add different types of Human races with different stat bonuses for variety, but I wouldn't see this as 100% necessary, but I'd probably do that.

For Conan, I would probably also introduce a mechanic where the use of sorcery gradually corrupts the wielder. I'd also tend to emphasize summoning over forms of magic that inflict damage directly.

danskmacabre said:
The Elric RPG has a very complete summoning system as well.
Pretty risky too, especially if you summon demons.

+1

and combined with the sanity rules from the MRQ1 Companion and Necromantic Arts, not something you want to mess with or fumble a roll on!

I think that Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic would also work well with Conan setting. It also have rules for demon summoning and sword & sorcery style magic rules and spells.

DamonJynx said:
+1

and combined with the sanity rules from the MRQ1 Companion and Necromantic Arts, not something you want to mess with or fumble a roll on!

I remember years ago using an earlier version of Stormbringer that introduced sanity rules, Summoning was well dodgy with that added.
You had to make a SAN check every time you summoned a demon, so one more check on top of everything else.

Back