Kurgan Fleet Strategies?

msprange said:
krs_sven said:
Unfortunately, someone decided inaccurate weapons were fair as long as they have more attack dice. Which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that in practice, merely having more dice does not even it out.

Well, speaking of statistical averages, it does :)

That assumes they have 3 times the AD(assuming hull 5 target which is where inaccuracy has biggest impact), which they often don't have...

There's also the accurate + being outranged to deal with. While the crew critical is nice double the criticals is nicer. Especially when you will be getting extra round of fire in most games before enemy can retaliate.

Will be interesting to see the changes. Kurgan's have sweet looking ships :) If I get around painting my fleets(atleast I started work on Decados dreadnought...Maybe I get it finished in a month?) might pick up Kurgan's as 3rd one.

Well I may have been mistaken. They strategy he uses when playing the Li Halan is to stay out of range the whole time if he can, but will focus fire on one or two ships each round, then move on. The shields are burned off the first salvo, then there are about 30 other attacks that go through that are accurate and precise. When he rolls, he will always hit. I think I have only seen him miss twice. Every time there is a critical, no joke every attack that does do damage there will always be a critical.

Usually by the time I even get into range with any ship they are pretty much crippled or reduced to a burning hulk. When I return the courtesy and focus on one of his ships I will be lucky to have 3 attacks hit and do damage, and maybe 1 Critical. But all those come from inaccurate rockets and guided missiles/torpedoes. Nearly ALL of my rolls with the heat blasters miss.

I think What I might do next campaign is just try fielding massive numbers of suicide fighters and carriers. I just don't like the idea of spending RR points every campaign round buying fighters while the rest of my fleet gets destroyed.

Keep in mind that when fighting any other house I tend to do fairly well if not WAY better. Its just against the Li Halan my Kurgan fleets is just a joke. It might just be my luck in this campaign too with scenario rolls and the way the dice fall...

Shloaksta said:
Well I may have been mistaken. They strategy he uses when playing the Li Halan is to stay out of range the whole time if he can, but will focus fire on one or two ships each round, then move on. The shields are burned off the first salvo, then there are about 30 other attacks that go through that are accurate and precise. When he rolls, he will always hit. I think I have only seen him miss twice. Every time there is a critical, no joke every attack that does do damage there will always be a critical.

a) not enough games
b) biased memory
c) loaded dices
d) you don't understand expected values.

One crit needs 3 hits=6 AD. If he fires 6 AD against unshielded ship with hull 5 he gets in average 1 crit.

When I return the courtesy and focus on one of his ships I will be lucky to have 3 attacks hit and do damage,

Assuming hull 5 target you either are rolling <6AD of inaccurate or one of the above.

and maybe 1 Critical. But all those come from inaccurate rockets and guided missiles/torpedoes. Nearly ALL of my rolls with the heat blasters miss.

That's to be expected. That's why you roll more of them.

FACT: 3 AD of inaccurate vs hull 5 is equally good in long run to 1 AD of accurate.

Personally in above scenario barring other factors I always take 3 AD of 6+ to hit vs 1 AD of 4+ to hit. More dices=averages even out sooner=less variance.

As I calculated earlier it takes 3 ships of fire to exceed damage output(barring crits) vs hull 5 shields 4.

And yes if they concentrate whole fleet vs 1 ship that ship is in trouble. What you expect? :lol: 1000+ point concentrating vs <200 pts should result in toast ship. What uber ships you want if you expect ship to escape alive?-)

tneva82 said:
msprange said:
krs_sven said:
Unfortunately, someone decided inaccurate weapons were fair as long as they have more attack dice. Which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that in practice, merely having more dice does not even it out.

Well, speaking of statistical averages, it does :)

That assumes they have 3 times the AD(assuming hull 5 target which is where inaccuracy has biggest impact), which they often don't have...

There's also the accurate + being outranged to deal with. While the crew critical is nice double the criticals is nicer. Especially when you will be getting extra round of fire in most games before enemy can retaliate.

Will be interesting to see the changes. Kurgan's have sweet looking ships :) If I get around painting my fleets(atleast I started work on Decados dreadnought...Maybe I get it finished in a month?) might pick up Kurgan's as 3rd one.

The al-Malik fleet has a lot of rocket AD, but in an actual battle we have found the sheer number of AD rolled often simply doesn't offset the fact that you need sixes to hit. What is handy is the scout trait, as even if you get no hits you can still reroll the whole lot. So in practice the statistics are just numbers on a page, not what people are actually experiencing when rolling the dice. Kurgans don't have the extra AD, so have to go after hull 5 ships with their suicide fighters - and that could get very interesting.

krs_sven said:
So in practice the statistics are just numbers on a page, not what people are actually experiencing when rolling the dice.

This is very true. I really don't believe there is anything random about dice at all (at least, when I am playing...).

krs_sven said:
The al-Malik fleet has a lot of rocket AD, but in an actual battle we have found the sheer number of AD rolled often simply doesn't offset the fact that you need sixes to hit.

If you have 3 times the AD vs somebody that hits on 4+(or 2 times if opponent hits on 5+) it does.

There's no disputing that fact. 3 AD of 6+ to hit=EXACTLY as good as 1 dice at 4+(actually you could argue it's technically better since averages even out sooner but in long run both score just as much).

This is not up for argue. It's simply statistical fact.

Back