Kai Disciplines

A

Anonymous

In the description of the Mindblast Discipline tier 3 (Psychic Lash ) it says that the Kai Lord can do 1d6 damage automatically. Does this count even if the opponent has a Psychic Shield?
Also, Weaponskill offers a +1 bonus to attack, a +2 to damage, and a +25% increase to range increment for ranged weapons. The description in the rule book uses the word "alternativlly" (only better spelt :D ) for the last two bonuses, so can both be taken for a single weapon or not?

If I'm reading the description of Tiers II-IV of Weaponskill correctly, it seems you must first take a +1 attack bonus for any particular weapon. Then, each tier allows you to either choose another weapon for a +1 attack bonus, or you may take +2 damage or +25% range increment for any weapon you've already chosen the +1 attack bonus for. I believe you can take both the +2 damage and the +25% range increment for one weapon, if you choose that weapon three times (one tier: +1 attack; next tier: +2 damage, same weapon; next tier: +25% range increment).

Hope that helps and is more coherent than I feel right now!

Bewildered Badger said:
In the description of the Mindblast Discipline tier 3 (Psychic Lash ) it says that the Kai Lord can do 1d6 damage automatically. Does this count even if the opponent has a Psychic Shield?

The short answer: As I read it, yes.

The longer answer: As I read it, usually yes but sometimes no. Mindblast-like abilities are all pretty strong, but they can be defeated by a >= level of Mindshield, or even 1 tier of Psi-shield. Some enemies get this, either intrinsically or via items/training.

A kai with Tier 3 or greater Mindshield is totally immune to psychic lash (and doesn't need a shield up to enjoy that benefit).

Bewildered Badger said:

Yes, a psychic shield only protects the opponent from the 'free action' psychic attacks the kai can make. A kai with level 3 midblast can make this free action psychic attack, in addition to doing the his weapon damage + the 1d6 psychic damage. However he must be engaging said foe in melee, though he does not have to successfully hit him with a melee weapon for the 1d6 damage to occur; it is automatic.

The only thing that can prevent the 1d6 psychic damage from mindshield tier 3 is,

if the opponent has midshield tier 3+. Not very likely since only kai lords have access to it.

Creatures with psychic immunity; most forms of undead. (but not those who can engage in psychic combat themselves)

Forgot to ask: Is Psychic Lash a Free Action or a Move Action? (Even I can work out it can't be a Standard Action as it is combined with an attack!)

Free. As soon as the kai lord gets this ability he effectively leaves the others of his party far, far behind in terms of booty kicking potential for a few levels. :)

Now that is cool! So can it be combined with either of the first two Mindblast tiers?

Bewildered Badger said:
Now that is cool! So can it be combined with either of the first two Mindblast tiers?

Yes. Fear fear.

A Kai in the game I'm running has a nasty habit of eschewing multiple attacks in return for massive psychic damage. Consider the following combination:

- Psychic Lash ( 1d6 PSY )
- Psychic Attack ( 2d6 PSY )
- Force of Personality ( +3 PSY )
- Masterwork Longsword Attack ( 1d8+1 PHY )

When all is said and done, we see him do (1d8+7 + 3d6) damage to an non-psychic foe, for an average of 20 damage from one massive attack.

To date, this is how I see all Kai Lords fight. They don't go for several hits or intense evasion. They just completely ream the opponent with massive mental attacks combined with good physical ones.

Now that is AWESOME! :D
A couple more points though, (every time I read the rules something new leaps out at me...).
First, the description of of Force Of Personality says the extra damage is done when a Kai Lord injures an opponent in combat. Does this mean the Kai can not use this against an enemy that he succesfully hits but does not wound due to Damage Resistance or other effects?
Secondly, when using the Tier IV Hunting ability, The Swiftest Strike, does the Kai make his attack roll and then decide to use it, or must it be declared, and the endurance point cost paid, before the attack is resolved?

Again, thanks to everyone for there input.

Bewildered Badger said:
Now that is AWESOME! :D
A couple more points though, (every time I read the rules something new leaps out at me...).
First, the description of of Force Of Personality says the extra damage is done when a Kai Lord injures an opponent in combat. Does this mean the Kai can not use this against an enemy that he succesfully hits but does not wound due to Damage Resistance or other effects?

Good question. Keep in mind that the damage is psychic, so it never meets up with damage reduction. No matter how you interpret it, this bonus can't be applied to overcome damage reduction on a creature. I decided to aducate it as working only when the kai lord scores a hit that does damage, but I could see having it trigger on any hit. I think it's just easier this way.

Bewildered Badger said:
Secondly, when using the Tier IV Hunting ability, The Swiftest Strike, does the Kai make his attack roll and then decide to use it, or must it be declared, and the endurance point cost paid, before the attack is resolved?

In a word, yes. They do have to declare it beforehand. This is generally true unless the power explicitly says otherwise. But don't be a jerk about it, if you GM. In the heat of a surprise round battle with new players, you should remind your players what their powers can do and when would be a good time to use them. Once they get more experienced, then you start to pull the rug out from under them. ;)

I can speak from experience when I say that as a newbie to d20, remembering what exactly my Kai Lord can do at any given time can be a little tricky. And he's only Level 5 right now.

-GB

Back