Judge Dredd RPG - 2nd Edition

Rather than a 2nd Edition, I'd rather see a compendium which introduced some details of alternative systems, rather than the same book redone to allow for the likes of d20 Modern.

However thats not to say the system doesn't need fixing. The armour problem (regarding for example clubs) makes little sense. I like the idea, but theres problems with the Mechanism.

So basically the best bet would be to not have a brand new edition, but to revise the existing corebook... make it 1.1 or something. The basic game is good, but since the Mongeese (sp?) have a lot more experience now, they should be able to drastically improve on many features. I would love to see more Dredd products released, and if having a new version means we get other new sourcebooks released then I'm all for it. Although, any new version must be backwards compatible or all of the previous books would become obsolete and no longer profitable for Mongoose. If they upgrade the rules slightly, ironing out some of the sticking points from the 1st edition, then the other books in the series may also see increased sales.

Adventures are high on my wanted list. I'm sure that many people submit works to Mongoose, and a lot are not published... but although there isn't a huge profit in adventures, surely there is enough. Afterall, all the publisher needs to do it proofread the work, maybe get some playtesters to run through it (for free), get some nice artwork, and send it to the printers. I would imagine the hardest and most time consuming part would be writing the adventure in the first place... but once they have the submissions...

Arabin

Any news on this yet? If Mongoose needs suggestions, playtesters, or focus groups for this... please let me know.

Arabin

I would certainly be interested in a 2nd edition JD game; I did look at buying the first one but was put off because it was too d20/D&D for my tastes. Very high hit points, lots of combat feats and a combat system that (as a non-D&D player) left me confused!

A streamlined 2nd edition would appeal to me a lot!

DW

We are trying some rules out for Starship Troopers that were originally intended for JD 2nd ed. So, if you want to know how Dredd will look, take a gander at Starship Troopers next year!

Hmm, sounds intriguing. I might just have to do that. Actually, I think Starship Troopers could fit in really nicely with Dredd for those adventures that go off planet. I sense a cross-over coming up...

Does this mean that JD 2nd ed. has been put on the back burner to simmer, or will you still be working on this? Do you think we are talking a year from now or longer?

Arabin

ripping the nails out of the cross he was nailed to... That man is one word, four letters - H-A-R-D (Its in the Jonni Kiss storyline, don't remember the GN's title)

I wouldn't be too keen on a too great a revamp as all my supplements would lose a lot of their value.

Could take a good look at the stuff they already put out and revamp the rules around them. All supplements retain their utility and rules that need changing get changed. (`course it ain't gonna me doing it, so easy for me to say.)

As far as being more character oriented vs location.... in the JD universe, typically characters come from particular locations.

Character-orientated Dredd? Sounds a little bizarre to me.
The comic has never become bogged down in soap opera-style sub plots, and I don't really see that there's an opportunity for that in a game if you're playing judges in the Big Meg. Elsewhere, perhaps.
Dredd comics have always been predominantly about action and it would be a mistake to lose sight of that. I appreciate that players do not want to play cardboard cut-out characters, but isn't the attraction of playing this particular game all about kicking butt and having a laugh, all with a little style?
Thumbs up for junking AoO and Bull Rush, but no Disarm? Where would Old Stoney Face be today if he had not been able to relieve an opponent of his/her/its weapon and turn it against them on numerous occasions?
I'm also a little puzzled by the concept of lowering judges' abilities to bring them closer to citizens; what's the justification for that? If a graduate of the Academy cannot defeat several idiots with knives without breaking into a sweat he shouldn't be on the streets. Fifteen years of intensive training must count for something.

Back