JBE: What Monsters Do You Want to See?

dmccoy1693

Cosmic Mongoose

Doing an update to the original Creatures of Distant Worlds has been on my agenda since the release of MGT2e. While I have been working on it a little here and there since then, I have been hard at work on it for a few weeks and are pleased to announce that Foreven Worlds: Creatures of Distant Worlds will be released very soon. But before that happens, I just thought I would ask you Traveller fans what you would like to see inside. We do not want to miss something that you want included. Please let us know over at JonBrazer.com as well as the comments below and we will do our best to include it.

Things like Gorgons, Medusa's and Basilisk's that with enough luck with the dice can take A Foe, even A Pc, out of the campaign for a long time and do so regardless of The Tech Level of the victims armour

JMISBEST said:
Things like Gorgons, Medusa's and Basilisk's that with enough luck with the dice can take A Foe, even A Pc, out of the campaign for a long time and do so regardless of The Tech Level of the victims armour
So some special ability that will turn them to stone or something else interesting that is not just another damage dealer, yes?

Old School said:
I’m not much for bug hunts in Traveller, but I’ve always been partial to Silver Dragons.
As in, fantasy monsters in Traveller or do you mean something similar to a fantasy monster, but makes sense with science and evolution?

Not sure how the magical effects of the monsters mentioned would translate over to a sci-fi/space opera setting.
Given the Zhodani presence there could be psionic creature that get called monsters.

Here are some thoughts. Updates to Psion abnilities will change these options of course.

No recent psionic publication, so going back to first edition psion book you get Advanced Psionic Talents. These could make nasty "monsters".
Luminokinesis could have beasts that make things darker, allowing their attacks to come in darkness.
Energy draining beasties could drain power armour. Put them in packs and the player's power armour becomes a tomb.

The Chilling Dread is a monster that sustains itself by puling heat from its prey with Thermokinesis.

The Witch could use Glamour to be invisible before its attacks, or buff itself with physical enhancements to be a tough opponent with personal enhancement or the Awareness skills in the Core book.

The basilisk could have the Pain advanced talent and blast victims into helpless fetal positioned targets with its mental attack.

The Medusa paralyzes victims with the Paralysis Talent, while the Gorgon's ability to Mind Blast an area and cause stupendous damage is devastating to targets.

Then there are the Vampires, those degenerate Zhodani who took the Tapping ability too close to heart and create huge reserves of Psi Points by draining their thralls and storing the points. This grants them the high level DM's on pg 3 of the Traveller Companion.

Dementors or psychic vampires use Tap Emotions to drain all the fun and emotion from their victims, leaving a shell behind.

A Mind Switch creature that swaps out their mind using the Mind Switch Talent makes the swapped player the prey from their own party, all for the sick delight of the creature who made the switch.

That is about as magical as I can think of off the top of my head. You will have to make their Skill Levels pretty high, and address any high tech anti Psi gear owned by the group.

Well, lurking horrors and extra-dimensional sanity-inducing elder gods are always fun?

What about space whales? Perhaps something living in or around asteroids, or swimming through gas giants?

I just watched an interesting monster in Voltron: legendary defender. Season 8, ep 3. Not sure if it’s really suitable for Traveller, but it was a dangerous predator, capable of short-range teleport, energy-absorption (seems to feed off of a ship’s reactor) and showed signs of intelligence.

Annatar Giftbringer said:
I just watched an interesting monster in Voltron: legendary defender. Season 8, ep 3. Not sure if it’s really suitable for Traveller, but it was a dangerous predator, capable of short-range teleport, energy-absorption (seems to feed off of a ship’s reactor) and showed signs of intelligence.

Nice solid reference, making it easy for me to find and see (since I am behind on my Voltron).

Back