Issue with Aquilonia

bushidokid

Mongoose
I was glancing through the Aquilonia book at a game shop when I noticed that several of the prestige classes were reprints from Signs and Portents. As a currently buys Signs and Portents exclusively for its Conan content, I have to ask, is this going to be an on-going trend? Are the Darfar spirit-eaters going to appear in the Black Kingdoms book etc.? Because if they are, that's money that I'm currently wasting on S&P. While I understand that there are many people who do not buy S&P for the Conan content and so the material presented in these books is 'new' isn't there a better way to do this? I know people have suggested publishing an S&P annual for each game, and I'd be fine with that, it's repurchasing the same creative material over and over again that I have a slight problem with. That being said, as soon as I get paid I'm picking the book up because it looks to be excellent in all other regards.

I too was disappointed at the amount of reprinted material in Aquilonia (Prestiege Classes, the Aquilonian Religions, some illustrations). What bothered me more was the inconsistency. Mongoose reprinted the Pointainian Knight and Gunderland Mercenary Prestiege Classes; however, in reference to Aquilonian Bandits, the Aquilonia book tells us to see S&P #12 for the alternate Bandit class. If you're going to reprint two classes, why not the third?

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the product, but I didn't think it was on parr with Road of Kings or Pirate Isles.

-RH

Other reprinted things were infos about the Westermarck, military life and a lot of the NPC stats for soldiers, prostitutes, healers etc., which varied a little bit from their counterparts in Shadizar or Thunder River, but are essentially just reprints, this means for a guy like me who buys every CONAN product a waste of space (and money).

Regarding the reprint of S&P material I'm very happy about it, because I don't spend money on a a RPG magazine just to use two or three pages. I hope the Bandit class will appear in the Thieves & Pirates class book... :p

Back