Is there a "MRQ II for Dummies"?

Yes! 8)

rq2.jpg

/thread.

Seriously, unlike D&D which has a lot of crunch, MRQ2 is one of the simplest systems I've ever read - there's really no need for a "for dummies" book.

Speaking as a bit of a dummy myself, I really hope a specific 'RQ for Dummies' isn't needed.

:D

This has been mentioned before but I'd quite like a pocket version of the core rules, I don't know what Pocket Traveller is like (I see from the description now that it's a shrunk-down clone of the main rulebook, I was thinking of stripped down text), even if it's just a PDF DriveThru release. I might paste one together just for myself.

I will now make a very bad impression by going against the accepted consensus of the board in my first post. :wink:

Lacking the cruft of D&D doesn't make a game "easy" or "simple". There are lots of simpler and easier games out there than MRQII, especially in the newer generations of games. This is not a criticism; I think it is a lovely game and it is basically bringing me back to both BRP-based games and Glorantha after a long hiatus from both. Most of the complexity is neccessary, one assumes, to achieve what the game sets out to do.

However, a MRQ for "dummies", especially as something you can use as a player as opposed to a gamemaster sounds excellent to me. Answering a question if there is one with what essentially boils down to "this is so awesomely easy that there is no way you can't understand it!" is a tad disingenious, methinks.

Erik

The great thing about this system is that it is deeply rooted in common sense. Let it be your guide and you can kinda figure out how things work with the help of the rulebook.

One of the (many) things I like about the MRQII is that rules for one thing are often mirrored in other rules, the game mechanics are simular throughout. This just helps you to remember how something works without having to look everything up each time. It also means you can 'think on you feet' as a GM and still be within the spirit of the system.

Think it would be great with more examples, tidbits, ideas
on character builds and what to think about when creating a campagin in Glorantha...stuff like many more maps (I love maps) over glorantha and
so on...

A Glorantha for dummies could be useful; I've read the Glorantha core book several times, and I still don't understand the setting - that's why I'll probably end up running Vikings or Deus Vult instead.

As much as I like Runequest, I'm simply not interested in Glorantha. Vikings sounds very cool and I'm into Deus Vult, and I'd like to see more.

Jujitsudave said:
As much as I like Runequest, I'm simply not interested in Glorantha. Vikings sounds very cool and I'm into Deus Vult, and I'd like to see more.

In some respects, I agree; both settings are considerably easier to understand from a newbie's perspective, and both settings are rooted in the myths of our own world.

I think, to be fair, RuneQuest II is not an entree level game like D&D is. It's very much an alternative game to D&D, that aims to create a greater level of verisimilitude in both the mechanics (skills, rather than classes and levels) and the settings it represents (real research into history, culture and myth).

Now, I don't by any means think that beginners can't pick it up, as it's very clearly written and presented in plain English. Yet, new players would still need guidance through some of the systems on offer (combat and magic especially), and certainly the Glorantha setting is one of the most complex (and rich!) settings around. We'll have to see how Mongoose challenge this notion with their Pavis Rises campaign.

Beyond that, I'd suggest Deus Vult as the best setting for newbies, currently - or maybe Vikings when that arrives. The alternative entree level fantasy system that Mongoose produce is Lone Wolf Multiplayer, maybe.

hector said:
I've read the Glorantha core book several times, and I still don't understand the setting.

What is it that you don't understand?

I started playing in Glorantha just knowing that it was a fantasy world where gods and spirits where real and magic worked. I didn't have to "understand" much, I think. :)

Perhaps Mongoose should do an RQ starter set....everything beginning players and GMs need in a box: pre-gens, beginning player and GM books, a starter encounter leading to a starter adventure and everything written with a complete newbie to RPGs in mind. Something not unlike the new D&D Red Box...

aethelwulf22 said:
Perhaps Mongoose should do an RQ starter set....everything beginning players and GMs need in a box: pre-gens, beginning player and GM books, a starter encounter leading to a starter adventure and everything written with a complete newbie to RPGs in mind. Something not unlike the new D&D Red Box...
That would be nice - BUT.

If your product is the big enough already, you can do something like that. If not, you have to make a choice: Do we try to build our market gradually, and if we reach the point where that kind of product is viable, then we produce it; or do we invest large amounts of time and resources in an attempt to boost our product up into that level of market penetration, by producing stuff like that anyway, risking financial ruin if it doesn't work?

Maybe the RQ2 market is big enough to support that kind of product. Maybe not.

Harshlax said:
That's looking really useful, particularly when not all players would be interested in purchasing a rulebook...
Useful, yes. Legal? I guess I carry on until someone says "please don't..."

Back