Is Jump Control Software basically autopilot?

Hi - I'm learning the Mongoose 2e rules. I think I understand the software rules, but I'm confused by the wording in the Ship Software table. Is this Expert Software that gives DMs on the Astrogation and Engineering rolls, or is it basically an autopilot - click on your destination and press Enter?

No. Jump control software is not autopilot.

Jump control software enables a ship to jump. A ship that doesn't have such software can't jump. It don't matter what the astrogator or engineer's skills are, if you don't have the right tools you can't do the job.

If you want autopilot, try intellect software with expert software for pilot. The intellect software will be able to use the expert software to pilot the ship.

Likewise, you should be able automate astrogation and engineering: power plant. By using intellect software with the correct skills, a ship should be able to jump on its own.

Thanks. Does this make software a hidden additional cost? E.g. Free Trader has Jump 1 so you need to spend an extra 0.1MCr on the Jump Control/1 software?

M Harold Page said:
Thanks. Does this make software a hidden additional cost? E.g. Free Trader has Jump 1 so you need to spend an extra 0.1MCr on the Jump Control/1 software?

Well, if you install a core computer the jump software is included.

I think all of the sample ships in Highguard 2e have the jump control software appropriate for their jump drive.

I'm not really sure if was a good idea for jump software to have a cost. The cost for jump software tends to be small in comparison to the full costs of the vessels that can use them. I know that ships with computer cores get to skip it completely.

DivineWrath said:
I think all of the sample ships in Highguard 2e have the jump control software appropriate for their jump drive.

All the ships with jump drives should have it. But all the ships in High Guard don't have jump drives.

Somehow I don't see software dealers just giving away jump control especially higher level jumps. Should ships be given free software upgrades if they replace their jump drive with a better one?

Reynard said:
Somehow I don't see software dealers just giving away jump control especially higher level jumps. Should ships be given free software upgrades if they replace their jump drive with a better one?

I don't know. When you buy a new Ford does the dealer hit you with costs for the engine management software?

If you buy a ship then I think software which is essential to running the ship should be included in the price. If you buy a component then there's a case to be made both ways. I would tend towards thinking that when you unpack the crates with your new jump drive in it there are a couple of CDs with the software needed to use it.

"When you buy a new Ford does the dealer hit you with costs for the engine management software? "

No more than a ship's computer come with all the essential diagnostic and management software. I have a feeling what is packed into a ship's computer to run spacecraft or even small craft would be quite complex way beyond a Ford or much of any land, air or sea vehicle we have today. The various ship software listed is more sophisticated comparatively makes no sense to give it away. I'm sure the larger computer systems that do have the software included the price in the cost of the computer system. Only space pirates want their software free.

Back