Is Hyboria and Hyperboria the same thing?

VincentDarlage said:
René said:
You're right, but I was obviously a little unprecise with my abbreviated question. Seeing "Brythunia is related to the Britons." in a former post I wondered where the term Nemedia may originate from.

In Irish mythology, the Nemedians are the descendants of Nemed, a Scythian chief who was one of the first invaders of Ireland.

Very good point. This link is one source of old Irish myth and legend. Very useful. It might have been available to Howard in the early 20th c.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/gafm/index.htm

VincentDarlage said:
sort of like how there are Jews, but no land named Jew.

Judah and Israel were sister kingdoms in the days of the ancient Hebrew tribes. King David was originally king of Judah and later conquered Israel.

Judea was the name of the region during the Roman Empire, and I think is where the term Jew came from.

I like the Anglo-Saxon example best. "England" may be derived from "Anglo", but much of Western Europe is of Anglo-Saxon descent. Sounds a lot like REH's Hyborians and Hyborian kingdoms to me.

*sigh* Yes, I know.

Once again, I wasn't trying to be super-correct, just laying out a simple, easy to understand example that just because we have Hyborians does not mean there has to be a Hyboria.

Do RPers simply have an innate, driven need to be proven linquists, historians, fencers, weapon experts and literary experts to such a degree that no one anywhere can use a simple example without being deluged with random samples of everyone's knowledge about anything?

(Hint: Don't answer that. It was a rhetorical question. You vocabulary experts out there, however, can feel free to explain what "rhetorical" means to anyone who does answer it.)

VincentDarlage said:
Do RPers simply have an innate, driven need to be proven linquists, historians, fencers, weapon experts and literary experts to such a degree that no one anywhere can use a simple example without being deluged with random samples of everyone's knowledge about anything?

(Hint: Don't answer that. It was a rhetorical question. You vocabulary experts out there, however, can feel free to explain what "rhetorical" means to anyone who does answer it.)
Yep, they have nothing better to do. I know you asked not to answer that, but I couldn't help myself, I just had nothing better to do. :wink:

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
... Yep, they have nothing better to do. I know you asked not to answer that, but I couldn't help myself, I just had nothing better to do. :wink:
:lol:

Ciao,
Ant

VincentDarlage said:

Ouch. :shock:
I consider myself only to be an expert at perfectly useless subject-matters. :D
I'm going to curl up in the corner in a fetal position any cry myself to sleep. Sweet, sweet sleep of Oblivion.
On behalf of everyone here: We luv ya, Vinny. Cool down. :roll:

VincentDarlage said:

Yeah well... I thought I allready gave my explanation to this in my first post in this thread. Give it a rest Vincent, you cannot win this... Just back off and let the morons do their own flaming.

/wolf

Back