Is Glorantha really out?

H

Cosmic Mongoose
I have just phoned my game store, who tell me they don't have any, and the distributors don't have any, and it's not on the list even.
Now, I have been waiting for this delayed book, and holding off my group who are desperate to play, so i ask, is it really out, has anyone bought it from a game store? or is mongoose only selling it themselves? and why does my game stores suppliers never seem to get mongoose stock until weeks after the alleged release?!

Bought mine on Tuesday at a game store in the burbs of Chicago......

Arriving in UK stores next Wednesday (the 11th). The delay for the UK is due to getting everything loaded onto a weekly flight from (New York I think), customs delays, then getting it to the distributors, and then to stores. The date on the website is (I believe) the day that the Mongoose warehouse in the US start shipping to distributors, so up to a couple of weeks after the date announced on the site is about right.

Assuming from your homepage addy (with NTL) that you're in the UK :)

I got mine from Phantom of the Attic in Pittsburgh. They got their copies from Blackhawk Game Distributor.

It is worth the wait--everything I wanted as a Glorantha newbie, and more!

Well, no Duck info, but I have whined about that already...

I am sure Mongoose will rectify this for Duck fans.

Scot

Wayland's Forge in Birmingham UK say they are expecting it on Wednesday 11th October, probably. They were a week late with the other stuff as well, so it must have been the website promising us things earlier than deliverable.

US Dates? Pah!

soltakss said:
They were a week late with the other stuff as well, so it must have been the website promising us things earlier than deliverable.

To be fair, the website only promised that the products were available to distributors on that date, rather than being available to stores or to the public.

I've found the general rule of thumb for the UK is to add two weeks to the published date for the product to appear on the shelves in stores. Sometimes it's only one week after, but very rarely more than two.

mthomason said:
soltakss said:
They were a week late with the other stuff as well, so it must have been the website promising us things earlier than deliverable.

To be fair, the website only promised that the products were available to distributors on that date, rather than being available to stores or to the public.

I've found the general rule of thumb for the UK is to add two weeks to the published date for the product to appear on the shelves in stores. Sometimes it's only one week after, but very rarely more than two.

and here was me thinking Mongoose were a British company too. Damned Colonials ;-)

hiffano said:
and here was me thinking Mongoose were a British company too. Damned Colonials ;-)

They are :) It's just the warehouse is in the US, so that's where the books get shipped to from the printers (usually in China or Canada), and from where everything gets sent to the worldwide distributors, so the US pretty much get it all before we do :(

and here was me thinking Mongoose were a British company too. Damned Colonials

Better be careful, or we'll dress up like indians and cast you're books into Boston Harbor! :lol:

I to think it's a shame that a British company does not seem able to correctly advertise it's British release dates on it's website. While we might generally treat rerlease dates for all RPG's with a degree of suspicion, it soes not look good when the website says a supplement is available and neither Games shops nor distributors can get hold of it...

It is also a shame that Mongoose seems unable to co-ordinate release dates between the US and the UK. I know not every company can be bothered to do this, but I thin k it gives a much better impression of those that can - AEG for instance always released L5R rpg supplements the same time in the UK and the US...

duncan_disorderly said:
I to think it's a shame that a British company does not seem able to correctly advertise it's British release dates on it's website. While we might generally treat rerlease dates for all RPG's with a degree of suspicion, it soes not look good when the website says a supplement is available and neither Games shops nor distributors can get hold of it...

It is also a shame that Mongoose seems unable to co-ordinate release dates between the US and the UK. I know not every company can be bothered to do this, but I thin k it gives a much better impression of those that can - AEG for instance always released L5R rpg supplements the same time in the UK and the US...

well just look at the online shop, it defaults to US Dollars, and somehow, a guy in Austria, got his copy of B5 armageddon about 2 weeks before anyone in the UK.. Austria for chrissakes. . . .

hmm, beggining to fear the already extensive line of books coming out for this, it says D&D all over it. I liked the olden days, I owned 3 runequest books that lasted me for ten years, now you need like 7 books, and your players are screaming out for more. rulebook, players copmpanion, monsters, magic, cults, glorantha, glorantha players guide, epic donkeys, chickens of the world and so on, it's seriously putting me off :-(

iamtim said:
hiffano said:
it says D&D all over it

I've looked really, really hard over all the MRQ books I own, and I couldn't find "D&D" anywhere. Is it in the footnotes or something?

:D

RQ SRD, Chapter 1. Title, third word, second letter:

Creating an ADventurer

First line under that heading, fourth word, first letter:

This section is Designated...

That is the first example of D and D. There are many more...

Rurik said:
RQ SRD, Chapter 1. Title, third word, second letter:

Creating an ADventurer

First line under that heading, fourth word, first letter:

This section is Designated...

That is the first example of D and D. There are many more...

DAMN YOU MONGOOSE!

Heh.

Well in as much as D&D is a mainstream game with enough game support to last you through a lifetime of gaming and third party products springing out of the woodwork that use the same system so you can get on with gaming and not have to learn a whole new system from scratch, and multiple disparate game worlds that share that common system so you can easily transfer material between the two, and most importantly of all sells enough copies to keep the publishers interested in keeping the line going..... then yes I agree RQ has D&D written all over it. :)

Back