intiative sink clarrification

archon96

Mongoose
For initiative do i roll a 2 dice for every ship in my fleet and total the score, or just two dice for initiative.

just 2 dice, period.

add on any racial bonus, add on your highest command rating. total.

Basically In sinking works like this:

Both fleets roll their Fleet Iniaitive (as described above) and the loser is usuaklly forced to move one ship first, then the fleets alternate untill all ships have moved.

In sinks are usually small, fast and agile ships that can dash about - if at all possible behind terrain or out of range, and therefore make more valauble enemy ships move in response. This, as you can imagine prove very useful in setting up enemy ships as targets or making sure they are less liekly to get effective shots on your own valauble ships.

The In sinking ships may not even fire for most or indeed all of the game but they make their points up by this process -it is highly effective in both ACTA: B5 and ACTA: NA and should be the same in ACTA: SF

:)

archon96 said:
thats what weve been doing just kept hearing about int sinking and was curious.
Thats the effect that if you have a lot more ships than your opponent initiative becomes in danger of being meaningless. The more the mismatch in number between fleets the more the larger fleet can protect its important ships and simply wait to move vital ships till late in the turn order when the oppo have no ships to move.

Scouts, carriers and adrift ships can also be considered initiative sinks. All are serving a purpose in the game but can be used to force the enemy to move his heavy firepower before you do.

Greg Smith said:
Scouts, carriers and adrift ships can also be considered initiative sinks. All are serving a purpose in the game but can be used to force the enemy to move his heavy firepower before you do.

Interesting on the Adrift ship. I hadnt realized you could still nomitate it...I like it :twisted: .

Should I assume that I can only nominate ships that are running adrift due to Criticals as opposed to the 9-12 result on the Striken Ships (destroyed) table?

Also you mention carriers since they will most likely be hiding in the back so who cares if you move them first? I didnt see a trait for them so assume thats something coming out later?

Thanks!

Pavlov Grenadier said:
Greg Smith said:

Interesting on the Adrift ship. I hadnt realized you could still nomitate it...I like it :twisted: .

Should I assume that I can only nominate ships that are running adrift due to Criticals as opposed to the 9-12 result on the Striken Ships (destroyed) table?

Also you mention carriers since they will most likely be hiding in the back so who cares if you move them first? I didnt see a trait for them so assume thats something coming out later?

Thanks!

Yeah if they are destroyed thet don't count

info re Carriers and Scouts relates to older versions of ACTA really - most are not designed for direct combat - although there are exceptions - the in ACTA: B5 the Centauri Balvarin has formidable firepower up front and can take damage as well with a reasonable hull, good damage and a intereceptor system.

Da Boss said:
Pavlov Grenadier said:
Greg Smith said:

Thanks!

Yeah if they are destroyed thet don't count

info re Carriers and Scouts relates to older versions of ACTA really - most are not designed for direct combat - although there are exceptions - the in ACTA: B5 the Centauri Balvarin has formidable firepower up front and can take damage as well with a reasonable hull, good damage and a intereceptor system.

Ahhh, the good ol Balvarin...

I've been playing with a single DWD in my Fed fleet and its *almost* an initiative sink. Its hard to actually really screw up its placement - so going with it first is usually not a problem.

-Tim

AdmiralGrafSpee said:
I've been playing with a single DWD in my Fed fleet and its *almost* an initiative sink. Its hard to actually really screw up its placement - so going with it first is usually not a problem.

-Tim
Cheese! Jk :)

Interestingly in ACTA:SF sometimes the reverse is better. Move your big slow ships first, then you will be able to get your manoeuvrable ships into sweet spots out of weapon arcs and able to fire on Klingon flanks.

I'm intending to use the initiative system that Axis and Allies:Angels 20 uses. It's essentially the same as ACTA, except during the move portion of the turn, the side with more units moves the excess number 'til remaining numbers are even, then alternating by initiative. So losing the initiative die roll doesn't spell doom at a critical moment...

Hal

Finknottle said:
I'm intending to use the initiative system that Axis and Allies:Angels 20 uses. It's essentially the same as ACTA, except during the move portion of the turn, the side with more units moves the excess number 'til remaining numbers are even, then alternating by initiative. So losing the initiative die roll doesn't spell doom at a critical moment...

Hal
Ewww...that would give big ships a boost.

Totenkopf said:
AdmiralGrafSpee said:

-Tim

Cheese! Jk :)

Its not cheesy if its just one of them, they are fleet Drone support ships after all. The full blown cheddar smell wafts in when you have more than two of them :lol:

Totenkopf said:
Finknottle said:

Hal

Speaking as someone who has a -1 initiative penalty applied to his race AND Lumbering cruisers and a lack of dirt cheap Init sink ships I'm all in favour of that change to Initiative :wink: :lol:

The winner of initiative moves his last ship last which is fine rather than moving 3 or 4 Pols, FFs, E4s etc first then moving the rest after you have run out of ships to move. :roll:

Greg Smith said:
Interestingly in ACTA:SF sometimes the reverse is better. Move your big slow ships first, then you will be able to get your manoeuvrable ships into sweet spots out of weapon arcs and able to fire on Klingon flanks.

Probably more often than not, depends on the fleets. For races with agile cruisers they are the mobile ships, so Klinks, Roms etc use init sinks first and big stuff later whereas the Feds and most especially the Gorn can move big non mobile stuff first and stuff that can actually turn corners later on.

Scouts are sometime this summer, carriers are probably 2013. Matt has promised at least some of the vast range of scouts in the ACTA mini magazine when it is published summer 2012.

Totenkopf said:
Finknottle said:

Hal

Well. At least in ACTA:NA they could do with one.

Think I'll try that myself. With addition that if you have more than 2 times you move 3 ships etc(though this is unlikely to happen at least initially. And when you have 3+ times ships odds are you don't care about not having init sinks :D)

They don't need a boost in ACTA:SF, they are just cost prohibitive at 1000 pts. Bring up the point values to around 2000 and you will see at least one dreadnought.

Back