interstellar Milieu vs Planetary Romance

That’s cool.

For me, however, a lot of the appeal of playing Space:1889 is similar to the appeal of playing Ars Magica in a sense. That is, I enjoy playing within realistic depictions of alternative paradigms. In the case of Ars Magica, that is the medieval mindset, in Space:1889 it’s the victorian one. I’m not saying the way you’re doing it is wrong though - so good luck to you.

The one thing I would say is that it’s a pity that Space:1889, as an ex-GDW rpg, hasn’t ever be written for Mongoose Traveller rules in the same way 2300AD has. There is an interesting new edition using the Ubiquity system which is very good. You can’t, however, crossover with 2300AD easily though which would be a feature with a shared system.

TrippyHippy said:
That’s cool.

For me, however, a lot of the appeal of playing Space:1889 is similar to the appeal of playing Ars Magica in a sense. That is, I enjoy playing within realistic depictions of alternative paradigms. In the case of Ars Magica, that is the medieval mindset, in Space:1889 it’s the victorian one. I’m not saying the way you’re doing it is wrong though - so good luck to you.

The one thing I would say is that it’s a pity that Space:1889, as an ex-GDW rpg, hasn’t ever be written for Mongoose Traveller rules in the same way 2300AD has. There is an interesting new edition using the Ubiquity system which is very good. You can’t, however, crossover with 2300AD easily though which would be a feature with a shared system.
Its a very generic idea though, my idea is something similar though, why the 19th century though? Isn't the 20th century good enough, in my setting the space age begins during World War II. One can also go back as far as the 14th century and use Spelljammer.

On Mars the gravity is 0.38 of Earth, this should affect encumbrance. Encumbrance is affected by two factors the weight of the character under 1 Earth gravity and strength + encumbrance.
The encumbrance of a woman that weighs 45.4 kg would be 45.4 kg minus the weight of that woman under martian gravity in kilograms which is 17.3 kg, the differences is 28.1 kg, since her strength is 7 and her encumbrance is 7 she can carry 28.1 kg + (7 kg + 7 kg)/0.38 = 64.9 kg
Formula is body_mass - 0.38*body_mass + (Str+End)/0.38 = encumbrance in kilograms.
This leads to some interesting possibilities. a 45.4 kg woman can carry a man that weighs 64.9 kg on her shoulders under Martian gravity without any encumbrance penalty. If this character jumps, roll (2d6 + Athletics skill level-5)/2*0.38. Assuming her athletic skill is 1

This table determines the height she can jump up to with a given result
result height
3 0 m
4 0 m
5 0 m
6 1.3 m
7 2.6 m
8 3.9 m
9 5.3 m
10 6.6 m
11 7.9 m
12 9.2 m
13 10.5 m

I think she would normally be able to take 7 on a routine jump, so any result less than 7 you can treat at 7, a jump of up to 2.6 meters into the air is routine for her, assuming she is unencumbered, she could jump over another human standing in front of her quite easily.

You probably won't see an astronaut ever do this on the real Mars, as his suit would weigh as much as he would!

Back