Infernum: Sorcery save DC?

While reading sorcery descriptions it says certain spells include a save. My question is how do I calculate the save? Is it based on my sorcery check? My level? Something else?

Thanks for the answer ahead of time.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
While reading sorcery descriptions it says certain spells include a save. My question is how do I calculate the save? Is it based on my sorcery check? My level? Something else?

Thanks for the answer ahead of time.

Each race has it's own way of calculating saves. It's based on the "good save, poor save" idea. For instance, an Artificer demon has good Fortitude and Will saves, and poor Reflex save. A Deceiver demon has good Will and poor Fortitude and Reflex. Etc., etc. Check the Demon Breeds chapter starting on page 33.

For humans, the good/poor saves are decided based on how you generate your character (see page 28-29 for details).

For fallen angels, Will is their good save, and they get to choose between Reflex and Fortitude on which other is good and which is bad (see page 30).

There are progression charts you can look up by level to show the good/poor save progressions. For demons, the chart is on page 25, for humans it's on page 29, and for fallen angels it's on page 31.

edit: after I typed all that up and posted, it dawned on me that you were talking about calculating the DC of each spell as opposed to what the saving throw bonuses are... D'oh (it helps if one reads the freaking subject title)! Sorry. Looking around further, it appears that the DC for the saves is the result of the successful Sorcery roll (sometimes modified by ritual description).

It also makes sorcery much harder to resist than standard d20. Don't get me wrong, I think standard d20 is too easy to resist at higher levels. This seems to me it becomes harder at higher levels.

Yeah, although there are far fewer direct-attack spells in sorcery, and high-level characters should really have a Fortress to block Sorcery. Having twenty ranks in Sorcery won't do a huge load if the demon you're trying to blast is sitting inside a keep that penalises all Sorceries by -50.

Hrmmm, I guess I have to wait for that book to come out. :wink:

I have to say, I didn't have high expectations on this setting(didn't like Book of Hell much), but as of reading the first book, I have already recommended it to friends.

Needless to say I am impressed. This is one of the better products put out by Mongoose.

Back