I really don't understand this

atgxtg said:
What you are not considering is how the game will play as the characters improve. When resilience hits the 90a%+ area. You will see character up and fighting after taking 20, 30 or more points to the head. You will also see character dancing around as if unhurt as long as none of thier locations drop below 0 HP.

That is the "Punchingbag syndrome" I was talking about in an ancient thread before the rules was released, and in which my experience in running with a similar system was belittled time and again.
I will not rehash that discussion in this thread again. So I will stop writing now.

Gevrin said:
If Matthew Sprange is being open, maybe the inclusion of the top line of the combat charts was a typo. Maybe they weren't intended to be a valid combat option in the core rulebook. I don't know either way (OK, hand up - to be honest I really don't care. I can run the game with no apparent loss of enjoyment to me or the players so I'm not about to get very worked up about it).

Well, way back when Mongoose had it's Open Day, and the first posts about the two roll combat system and chart came up, there was a lot of controversy. Matt posted a message in one of the threads claiming that the chart shouldn't have been printed in the book, and that the error was due to some 11th hour editing.

More recently, it was claimed that the chart is a sneak peak of something yet to come.

atgxtg said:
What you are not considering is how the game will play as the characters improve. When resilience hits the 90a%+ area. You will see character up and fighting after taking 20, 30 or more points to the head. You will also see character dancing around as if unhurt as long as none of thier locations drop below 0 HP.

From the core rules (my Bold formatting):
Location’s Hit Points reduced to –1 or more
The location has suffered a Serious Wound. The location is permanently scarred and the character loses his next 1D4 Combat Actions.
Limbs
A limb will be rendered useless by a Serious Wound, until the location is restored to 1 hit point or more, or if the character receives First Aid. If a leg is rendered useless, the character drops prone.
Abdomen, Chest or Head
A character with either the Abdomen, Chest or Head suffering a Serious Wound must immediately make a Resilience test or fall unconscious. If the character remains conscious, this test will have to be repeated at the end of every Combat Round, until the location is restored to 1 hit point or more, or the character receives First Aid.

Location’s Hit Points reduced to a negative score greater than its starting Hit Points
Limbs
A limb will be either severed or mangled by a Major Wound. The character drops prone and must immediately make a Resilience test or fall unconscious. If the character remains conscious, this test will have to be repeated at the end of every Combat Round, until the location is restored to 1 hit point or more, or the character receives First Aid. If the location does not recover within a number of Combat Rounds equal to the character’s CON+POW, the character dies from blood loss and shock.
Abdomen, Chest or Head
A character with either the Abdomen, Chest or Head suffering a Major Wound must immediately make a Resilience test or die. If the character lives, another Resilience test must be made to stay conscious. Both tests will have to be repeated at the end of every Combat Round, until the location is restored to 1 hit point or more, or the character receives First Aid. If the location does not recover within a number of Combat Rounds equal to half the character’s CON+POW, the character dies from blood loss, shock and internal injuries.

So limbs hurt badly cause the character to fall or to drop anything held in that hand. Head/torso hits will allow the character to keep going with Resilience rolls but they will lose their next few combat actions, and will fail a roll eventually leaving themselves helpless. A tough choice to make. Major wounds will kill a character in a set number of round if they don't seek aid or die first. They may choose to fight on - that's a decision for heroes, which if I recall rightly was the intention of the rules design. It may not be old RQ or to everyone's taste but it was designed specifically, not coming about by accident or poor design.

Anyway RQ3 allowed characters with 10 hp to take up to 20 points damage and still dance around as if unhurt. And at least MRQ takes away combat actions when you're down to zero or below in a hit location. In RQ3 if still conscious, you could fight as before with only a mod for being prone perhaps.

atgxtg said:
THe armor chart is messed up. So is the combat matrix. So is the unarmed combat matrix. Practicelly every example in the book that has been mentioned when discussing how the game works hat been offically stated as being wrong.

Armour needs reorganising and errata-ing, but it's usable for the moment. The combat matrix (I presume you mean the parry/dodge matrices) needs the top line ignoring - the official line is that it's surplus to requirements at present. Certainly combat works perfectly well without it. I suspect that the official errata will simply say ignore it, as per the player's guide. I also suspect that a lot of people won't be satisfied and will still cry foul. The unarmed matrix requires a reaction roll regardless of the attacker's failure, contrary to the melee rules, but otherwise works. Mongoose need to standardise the rolling system one way or another though.

The combat examples are wrong. Which others do you include though? I've read no such sweeping statements here.

atgxtg said:
In fact, the combat systemin the book, is wrong. If you go by the book, you will be using a two roll attack system.

Again. From the core rules (my Bold formatting);
Close Combat Attacks
1 – Making the Attack
An attack is made by simply rolling D100 and comparing it to the character’s skill in the weapon he is using.
If a character rolls equal to or lower than his Weapon skill, he has hit his target.
If a character rolls greater than his Weapon skill, he has missed his target.

2 – Target Reaction
If the enemy has any Reactions left, then this attack may be opposed. The target may attempt to dodge or parry the attack, as they choose. However, only one Reaction may be made to each successful attack.

Granted this could be taken to mean that more than one reaction can be made if the attack roll is unsuccessful :wink: but I think not.

By the book the "attack may be opposed" by a reaction. It doesn't say either way whether a second roll is required. I reckon it's a hangover from the period during playtesting when combat was a true opposed roll. Either way it's been officially errata-ed by Matt already in the player's guide.

There are not two sets of rolls in combat for the attacker - he just rolls once, and the result of that roll is what the defender compares his Dodge/Parry to.

So it's official and that's ok then isn't it?

Cheers

Dave

Melkor said:
Based on that - a crit rolled on the first roll would still be a crit if the second attack was succesful (but the parry was not)

That there's how *I* read it, considering a two attack roll scenario so the top line of the combat charts can be used.

...in addition to the chance of 'upgrading' to a crit with the second roll ?

That's how I read it; essentially, if *either* roll crits, the overall attack is considered a crit.

I have stated elsewhere that I am not that mathematically inclined - How does this work out your chance of scoring a critical ?

I'm not a math guy either. I'm just coming at this issue from a "if the first roll is a crit, what happens to it in a 2-roll system?" standpoint, and that's the way it seems to want to work. I don't get in to all that "analyzing chances" stuff; I'm much more into the flow of the system than the statistics.

And for the record, my frustration has faded to a kind of resigned annoyance at this point. :wink:

So I'm wearing you down. Good. :D

Actually, the aspect of being able to take a "killing blow" and continue to fight for a while yet, appeals to me. It makes combat heroically dramatic.

But unfortunately, it seems it becoimes hard to decapitate a person (killing them instantly) as it was in RQ3. Has anyone here got the Companion yet so he/she can check if there are any critical injury tables?

Archer said:
Has anyone here got the Companion yet so he/she can check if there are any critical injury tables?

I have it, but have not read it thoroughly. I don't recall seeing any critical injury tables (or other combat expansions/clarifications for that matter)...and if I remember correctly, someone posted that those were left out of the Companion along with the Size chart.

Archer said:
Has anyone here got the Companion yet so he/she can check if there are any critical injury tables?

Yes, and there are none. From what I understand, early Companion drafts had crit tables, but they evidently didn't make the final cut.

Melkor said:
No. You're misundarstanding my intentions.

snipped

Thanks for the clarification - I can see where you're coming at this from now. I didn't intend to sound aggressive (assertive maybe :wink: )

Cheers

Dave

Gevrin said:
Anyway RQ3 allowed characters with 10 hp to take up to 20 points damage and still dance around as if unhurt.

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how you figure this - in RQ3 (and earlier) any hits taken to locations also came off general HP, so 10 hp would kill you. Any examples, or am I missing something here?

cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the reply regarding critical injury tables in the companion. Such a shame, it was one of the things I was looking foward to the most, since it would change the dynamics of combat somewhat, if certain critical injuries was outright lethal.

IMHO one of the reasons a lot of people are upset about the problems in the rules is that we expect RQ to be a mature game. I mean mature as in coherent, well thought out and playtested. MRQ is clearly an immature game that could benefit from considerable further refinement, and this is inevitably a bit disapointing to some of us.

This is understandable because Mongoose have made considerable changes to the dynamics of the game in order to radicaly simplify it, and perform some recalibration of the way it plays. As a result the iteratively finely tuned systems of the previous three editions of RQ don't benefit MRQ very much. Also previous RQs were not affraid of having layers of rules complexity to allow it to cover wide varieties of situations, where MRQ strips things down to the core. Compare the complexity of the damage systems, RQ3 was very much more complex, but MRQ covers most situations perfectly well with just a few annoying edge cases.

Perhaps some of the 'advanced rules' will resolve some of these issues. Perhaps a new edition down the line will fix the problems. Perhaps the 'open content' approach and extensibility will give birth to some well hones variant rules sets that are compatible with it and will cater to various tastes.

We'll see.

simonh said:
Perhaps the 'open content' approach and extensibility will give birth to some well hones variant rules sets that are compatible with it and will cater to various tastes.

I hold my thumbs for that. Not that I need to replace RQ with another iteration of the rules, but because this would mean that RQ has such an impact on the RPG hobby that I wish it to be; To become the new "d20" for future games.

Compare the complexity of the damage systems, RQ3 was very much more complex, but MRQ covers most situations perfectly well with just a few annoying edge cases.

Possibly, but it RQ3 was also a little more intuative. But as Simon said the dynamics have changed and it is still an immature game. I can see the 2nd edition when it hits the shelves being a worthy investment, when the rules have been tempered by a few years of solid play.

Paul

simonh said:
Also previous RQs were not affraid of having layers of rules complexity to allow it to cover wide varieties of situations, where MRQ strips things down to the core. Compare the complexity of the damage systems, RQ3 was very much more complex, but MRQ covers most situations perfectly well with just a few annoying edge cases.

I'm sorry in advance for being contrary, but I simply don't agree with this statement at all. RQ1/2/3 had one of the easiest game systems ever designed. Combat was a snap. You rolled against your offensive skill. Your opponent rolled against his defensive skill. The results of those rolls were incredibly logical and "simple". Damage application was equally simple. Everything worked, made sense, and made for good, scalable, balanced playing.

One of the key features of RQ was that aside from fumble charts (which were "fun" rather then tedious) you never *ever* needed to look up a chart to know what happened (you rarely if ever needed to look in the books at all once you'd read them through). The spell system is point based, so you never had to look up a rule to see how spells interacted. There were no saving throws (and certainly no charts for them). Everything that acted as a "save" was a simple STAT*X roll on percentile dice.

In MRQ, they've taken away the fumble charts and replaced them with combat charts. They've removed the simple process of applying damage (location and general HPs system), and replaced it with one where your HPs matter less then your resiliance skill (and added yet another die roll to the combat process). They've removed the elegant (and simple!) stat rolls and replaced them with skills, but then replaced the equally elegant skill based combat action system (splitting skills over 100% to gain extra actions) with one where the Dex stat is all that matters. Oh. And they added in extra combat moves that can use up those extra skill points, but only for attacks, and those themselves are riddled with flaws, questions, and inconsistencies.

The changes made have not made the game simplier, but more complex. There are more rolls/calculations on average for a given combat action (hit roll, defense roll, location roll, damage roll, perhaps some math to damage or APs, then resiliance roll. And that's assuming we use a single roll system, which is still unclear based on how the core rules themselves were written.

We have division in opposed skills where before we had subtraction. That's not "simplier", is it?

And after all of those changes, the game isn't "better" then RQ2/3. It's not even "different flavor/mechanics but similar quality". I think the problem that many people are having is that the changes we see in the game rules seem arbitrary and almost made for the sake of being "different then previous editions of the game", but in virtually every single case, those changes not only make less sense then the previous rules, but don't actually work as well as game rules either. Skill rolls for strength contests? Why? Was there something wrong with simply comparing strength stats and rolling the die? Same deal for resisting damage, poison, and disease. These things make absolutely no sense as skills and introduce all sorts of problems in a game with that mechanic.

I would argue strongly that MRQ handles fewer cases, less accurately, and with more complex rules then every single previous version of RQ. While I wasn't really looking toward MRQ as an "improvement" on RQ, I was kinda hoping there would be some neat ideas I could introduce into my own game. Heck. When RQ3 came out, even though it did have some significant changes over RQ2, we changed our game to that system. Why? Because it didn't break the things that were "good" about RQ2, and it added new stuff that wasn't "bad". So the net effect was positive.

I guess the problem I and most other people are having is that we're looking at a core rule set. Nothing else. So. In the absense of any campaign flavor, or world history, or backround "feel", one would expect that these core rules would actually at least work all by themselves. MRQ does. But barely. And the fact that it "barely" works is very obvious and immediately apparent to any reasonably experienced player or GM who reads through the rules. The combat tables are broken. The opposed skill rules are broken (and dont those two basically make up 90% of the game mechanics?). Amor tables are wrong (or just fraught with errors). Sections of the rules contradict eachother (and not just the examples). The few rules that don't have gaping errors in them don't make sense the way they're implemented, and present huge scaling problems (what does happen once characters get a 95%+ in resilience?).

Perhaps some of the 'advanced rules' will resolve some of these issues. Perhaps a new edition down the line will fix the problems. Perhaps the 'open content' approach and extensibility will give birth to some well hones variant rules sets that are compatible with it and will cater to various tastes.

Except that "resolving combat" is not and should not be an "advanced rule". Resolving skills should not be an "advanced rule". Figuring out how listed combat moves should be resolved should not be an "advanced rule". Those are core rules. They should be in the core rules of a game. They should *work* in that core rules set. People customize games with house rules, but they don't expect that they have to redesign the entire game instead. So far, I've barely seen discussions about how to add on to the core MRQ rules. Everyone's still debating how to inteprete and change the existing rules so they are playable.

Open content is not an excuse for creating a starting point with so many problems. How can people build on MRQ when the foundation is so riddled with cracks and flaws? The core needs to be solid first. And it's painfully not...

Players are frustrated because many of us have waited literally decades for someone to make a "new" RQ game. Don't get me wrong, I want this to succeed. Mainly because I'd like to see new source material appear, but certainly I'd be interested in adopting anything "new" that might come of this version of RQ. So far, I've not seen a single game mechanic that works as well as the original RQ mechanics did. The CA system interests me, but not the way it's actually implemented in the core MRQ rules. The spell system is virtually non-existent (and also riddled with problems just with the whole rune integration scaling thing).

I guess the real problem is that we're left with a core system where the core doesn't work very well. And when that's all that you've got, you kinda can't go anywhere. Why should I apply houserules to "fix" MRQ? IMO, it should not have been "broken" in the first place. Give me a working product that I can build on and I'll be happy. Honestly, unless Mongoose just scraps their first edition and rewrites the entire thing from cover to cover, I'm not seeing enough "core" to bother adding on to.

That may sound like harsh criticism, but I think it's fair criticism.

Gnarsh -

Except for the part about waiting a decade for a new RQ (I never played RQ2, and played very little RQ3), I agree with all of what you said.

I am, however, hopeful that the errata (that Matt mentioned would be forthcoming soon in another thread here and over on RPG.net) will address a lot of these issues. I can't wait to use Mongoose's Runequest for a campaign - I just don't want to house rule corrections, and I get a bit annoyed every time I pick up the book.

At this point, I think quite a bit of correction needs to be made. In a perfect world, I'd like to see the following in an errata document:

Several examples of combat would be nice.

Rules that utilize the 'failed attack' column of the Parry/Dodge tables.

The possible (re)introduction of a resistance tables for comparing stats (like your STR vs STR example above).

Fix the armor table.

Fix resiliency.

Offer a taste of the options in Legendary Heroes for resistance rolls over 100%.

Clarify whether or not crits apply to Resistance Rolls (other than Combat), and if so, whether or not they 'trump' a standard success.

I'm sure there are a lot more, but that's all I've got for now.

Back