I have a question for the forum.

A

Anonymous

Please excuse me but I havent seen the book yet. Is the Conan rpg a stand alone game or are 3rd Edtion books needed? It is a d20 game right?

Conan requires no other books to play. Also, remember that the SRD is free to download from Wizard's site here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/20040121a

That said, Conan is a game which requires you to have a prety firm grasp of the OGL ruleset. If you haven't played any other 3.x games it may take you a while to catch on.

Murte said:
VincentDarlage said:
It's an OGL book, and does not need any other books for playability.

Except the second printing. :twisted:

It's not that bad. Hell if it was WOTC, they'd wait two years, reissue it as Conan 1.5, and charge you 75$ for it.

There's a few typos. I've seen far worse. The company is also doing a damn good job of placating the people that are taking exception to the typos.

They capture the flavor of the books. Conan is a violent, bloody, heroic, grim setting, and the book captures that perfectly. Yes, it is $50, but you DO NOT need any other books to play, like PHB's, DMG's, etc.

If you want to see really bad typos read gamma world.

If you want to read a damn good conversion of an excellent series of books, with a decent set of rules then buy Conan.

Darth Mikey said:
Murte said:
VincentDarlage said:
It's an OGL book, and does not need any other books for playability.

Except the second printing. :twisted:

It's not that bad. Hell if it was WOTC, they'd wait two years, reissue it as Conan 1.5, and charge you 75$ for it.

There's a few typos. I've seen far worse. The company is also doing a damn good job of placating the people that are taking exception to the typos.

They capture the flavor of the books. Conan is a violent, bloody, heroic, grim setting, and the book captures that perfectly. Yes, it is $50, but you DO NOT need any other books to play, like PHB's, DMG's, etc.

If you want to see really bad typos read gamma world.

If you want to read a damn good conversion of an excellent series of books, with a decent set of rules then buy Conan.

The game succeeds IMO despite its editing. The proofreading is terrible and has actually introduced errors, like spellb.ooks, but there are also references to feats like whirlwind attack not included in the book. I'd say that making enough sense of the game to run it without problems would require familiarity with the PHB or at least the online SRD, so you can see where text that seems contradictory is an artefact from the SRD and thus reach a reasonable conclusion as to the writers' intent.

I have to say though, one thing about Mongoose books is that I never mind covering them in pencil corrections & house rules, they always feel like 'works in progress' - some games seem like things-of-beauty, complete in themselves, and discourage changes, Mongoose product positively requires it but I think the end result is perhaps even better for that. ie in some ways Mongoose's fallibility is as much a feature as a bug. :)

Back