I hate painting Minbari

Reaverman

Mongoose
You ever had one of those days painting a model :cry:

Wargaming163.jpg

might buy some Acetone tomorrow :(

Very.... stripy.

I did my Sharlin the following way (still trying to loot a digital camera so I can post a piccy):

Black Undercoat. Ultramarine Blue basecoat, Prussian Blue wash, 50:50 Ultramarine/Prussian Blue mix to Ultramarine to highlight the hull. The stripes were added with a two part blend. 25:75 Ultr/Prussian and then nearl;y 10:90 Ultra/Prussian. I found keeping the paint thin and 'wiggling' the brush out to make the stripes worked. White in some of the windows on the fins at random.

It turned out very dark. But I keep thinking hte hull ribs need some thing else.

You must paint to a very high standard if your considering stripping this one. I think it's smashing :) Can we see more of your work? Pretty please with a Minbari on top ;)

Boots said:
You must paint to a very high standard if your considering stripping this one. I think it's smashing :) Can we see more of your work? Pretty please with a Minbari on top ;)

I've got some pics in the gallery (Narn, Vorlon, EA, and Arachnid)

It looks fine to me. Only thing I'd do is use some blue ink or something similar to blue the whites down a bit, currently it looks a little too contrasting without sufficiently smooth colour transition from the blue to the white.

Destroid said:
It looks fine to me. Only thing I'd do is use some blue ink or something similar to blue the whites down a bit, currently it looks a little too contrasting without sufficiently smooth colour transition from the blue to the white.

My only single complaint... and technically I didn't have to say it...

Maybe glossing will help? Maybe? Just a suggestion :?...

Destroid said:

yeah, it had a glaze too :(

Show off.... oh and can you give details as to how you painted it with the paint color and type and stuff so we can replicate or at least imitate it before you 'strip it'.
You'll strip that like I am going to strip my GW tanks LOL!
Sam

If you want to try something different before your acetone dip...

I have found that Retarder or Antiquing Medium can work really well to blend in layered colours once they have been painted. I am not an expert on the technique, but I lightly coat a brush and gently rub it back and forth along the layer lines. The medium will cause the paint to meld between the two colours.

If you don't like the look afterwards, then put it in the acetone.

Though I think that the paint job in the photo looks great, so i don't know what you are worried about. :wink:

Wish my Minbari looked that good. I did mine very pale blue with a blue ink wash and gave up on the stripes. Never could get them quite right, either too strongly coloured or just plain wrong

The one thing worse than painting them is watching them trash my poor old EA fleet :cry:

Abraxas said:
My only single complaint... and technically I didn't have to say it...

Maybe glossing will help? Maybe? Just a suggestion :?...

I have found that a dull coat varnish helps to bring contrasting colors together. I think that gloss coats only work for some models. like the ones you want to seem wet or slimy.

hmm this one came back from the dead somewhat ;)

Seriously though, looks fine to me. The only thing I might say is that if anything the stripes look a bit too 'neat' if your a bit more haphasard with them I find it looks more 'Minbarish' but thats just me and I certainly dont think this looks bad :p

Back