Thanks a heap for this idea! I used this method and love it.
However, one thing I learned is (the hard way of course), when you're placing the female clasp end in the mini and your gluing it in, be careful that the glue doesn't squish into the center of the clasp through the wire loop hole. It could either ruin the internal threads (thus making the male end not fit flush or not fit at all) or, if you screw the male end in when its still wet, permanently bond it.
To keep this from happening in my application, prior to installing it, I took a tiny shaving from a model and wedged it in the opening where the wire loop went and applied some heat to it enough to melt the shaving. Basically, it soldered the hole closed.
Another thing I did was replace the sleeve "joint" with a continuous long sleeve that runs from the clasp to the base. That seems to streamline the look of the base/stem.