How to handle PC's vs million mooks

Majestic7

Mongoose
We played my Conan campaign yesterday and after the game we discussed limitations of different game systems, inspired by the upcoming 4th Ed. D&D announcement. One cool REH-like story element hard to do with d20 Conan that came up was a situation where player characters are face to face with gazillion mooks. Think of a situation where they are bravely fighting of a wave after wave of ghouls or Kushian savages.

There are several problems with this kind of scene. If you handle the combat by the rules, it becomes very long-winded and boring fight. Even if the enemies outnumber the player characters enough to always get to use maximum effect of multiple attacker rule, most of their attacks are just futile dicerolling without any good effect. Likewise, without Whirlwind Attack or similar options the players will take a long time to bring down many mooks. Furious combat against large odds with blood soaking the ground red is watered down in to rollplaying.

If you don't handle the combat by the rules, the situation can be handled with narrative means. "In a furious battle lasting from dawn to dusk, you kill a thousand angry D&D nerds armed with sharpened d20's, everyone takes total of 8d6 damage from combat of the day." The bad side is that the result is by necessity arbitary, narrative mass battles like this don't really work as climax or a session and players don't really feel like their characters were in mortal danger, unlike in rollplaying combat.

A combination of rules and narrative combat is one possibility. Mainly, having a few rounds of combat abstract larger part of it or handle hordes of mooks in a narrative way while fighting "big bosses" or the like according to the rules. Yet still, this way fails to bring in the excitement of being facing a horde of enemies.

Last option coming to mind is the mob template from some D&D book, don't remember where. It allows combining large amount of medium and larger creatures in to a mob where they act like a mass instead of individuals. Think of a swarm of commoners for example, when they come to get the evil wizard as an angry lynching mob. A mob template allows large number of ordinary people, for example, grapple and trample a single opponent quite easily. However, this is again in its fluff and feeling entirely different thing than facing a large amount of individual enemies.

How would you handle such situations? I've just elected to keep such scenes out of my campaign. They simply don't work out, instead turning in to anticlimaxes. Massed combat with many fighters on both sides is a whole another matter of course.

I handle them thus--only so many people can attack at once even if you are surrounded. Then too if they are in a mob they will possible impede themselves, granting the pc initiative a good deal of the time.

Also you can give a storyteller impression of it. During an attack on a defended wall I gave the impression of swarms of barbarians coming up the scaling ladders and clambering over battlements but in reality I just gave my pcs one or two opponents at a time, constantly implying that if they didn't defeat them quickly they would be overwhelmed. It created an air of desperation but secretly I figured the other defenders were taking part or slowing them down.

Well, i haven't handled Conan specifically as of yet, but i have done some pretty massive battles in the past. With Legend of the Five Rings in particular - i basically combined storytelling and standard combat die rolling. Description for me was the key, trying to paint as vivid a picture of the overgrown field of grass, it's green color amplified by the wet grey sky and the knee high clouds of vapour. It kept the players involved, less focused on attack rolls and what not. I also had the characters take a breather amidst the chaos around them from time to time - moving amongst friendly NPC's in the melee, and witnessing a few gruesome deaths before throwing more foes at them, usually on a two against one basis. The battle was ultimately won, but there wasn't a single moment where the players didn't think, "Maybe we should turn and run, leave this to the other guys" nor any moment where they didn't feel threatened.

It all went pretty well, until nightfall when the gargantuan shadows of a half dozen Oni appeared at the outer edge of the battlefield, began chanting, and all of the dead soldiers from the day's intense fighting rose and attacked the cavorting PC's and the remainder of the survivng army. The reaction was awesome. Hasty Retreat was the ultimate outcome. Which was as intended.

Well... the point was a situation where the player characters change many enemies on their own. If they have NPC's on their side or the situation is a massed combat, it is entirely different...

Majestic7 said:
Well... the point was a situation where the player characters change many enemies on their own. If they have NPC's on their side or the situation is a massed combat, it is entirely different...

Well, if the mooks are just a bunch of talentless thugs, have the players roll a few attack rolls - and each successful hit scores them a kill, a miss scores them a parry or a dodge, and a critical fail causes them pain - say, 1D6 damage.

Shouldn't take them too long to cut through a mob of "ham n eggers" at that rate, and it keeps things flowing pretty smoothly.

Rules are made to be broken ;)

I would use one of many mass combat rulesets, or simply use the Law of Averages.

x # of party members
Average ABILITY scores
Average BAB
Average weapon damage
Average SAVES
etc.

x # of enemy immediately surrounding party
Average ABILITY scores
Average BAB
Average weapon damage
Average SAVES
etc.

# enemy surrounding party (if party is in a line):

#party..................#enemy
etc.

Other configurations are easy to calculate.

(Doesn't D&D 3.5 have some concept of "hordes" that may prove useful?)

Uncle Bear had a good 'Horde Combat' system for Conan. It was quick and very efficent.

Check out his website, it may still be up. If not, PM me and I will get it to you.

Many games have the concept of minions. You should be able to borrow one of them with ease.

If you need examples, just ask.

W.

If my memory serves me correctly, a bunch ( I mean a horde) of mooks/ minions will take down most characters who don't have "great Cleave"?

Back