How much setting info is in the Core Book?

Roy

Mongoose
Hi, everyone!

How much setting info is in the Core Book?

I intend to run a campaign based in Conan's world, but I don't use d20. Is the Core Book still a good value for just the setting info?

Does anyone know what kind of info will be in 'The Road of Kings'? If I understand correctly, it's supposed to be a gazeteer. Will it be mainly setting info that can be used with other game systems or will it be a bunch of crunchy bits?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Roy

Well, I know that the Core book has a chapter written by REH, that talks about the Hyborian age. Or you can wait till Road of Kings comes out, which will describe quite a bit on just about everything you need to know. Since it is going to be THEE source book for conan.

That chapter is probably the same essay that appears in Del Rey's "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian". Can anyone confirm this?

Has Mongoose said what will be in "The Road of Kings"? I would love a good setting guide, but I'm worried it might be filled with a bunch of crunchy bits I can't use.

Roy

As the author of "Road of Kings", I can tell you that it is a setting guide first and foremost. It should serve your needs regardless of game system.

If I remember correctly you are correct in that it's the same essayas in "The Coming of Conan of Cimmeria."

Besides what you might have read on the products page, I don't believe any additional info has been released.

SS

I'm also unlikely to use the Conan RPG rules -- 30-page combat chapters seem offputting and needless to me now I know systems like HeroQuest. But I'm pleased with the amount and quality of content on races, religion, and nations the book has, given the expected usual bulk of d20 rules. The Road of Kings gazetteer won't repeat all that, and from the Sons of Cimmeria sample it'll be more useful per-page for pure setting content than the rulebook (which, yes, reprints Howard's "The Hyborian Age" essay as found in The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, etc., with an added bit on Acheron).

Vincent: Thank you for the reassurance. I will definitely purchase "The Road of Kings".

Thanks to everyone. I appreciate the help. I'm really pleased by how open and friendly the Conan RPG community is.

Roy

Back