How many EA players use the Hyperion?

Yeah, that is my only beef with Triggy's logic. It seems to overlook the initiative systems impact and the limitations of boresights in his estimation.

I would also look closely at how long a ship is expected to live in that. Ie if its a four turns game and that first ship lasts three turns firing did you really lose half of the effective firepower? 150% of fire over 75% of a game vs 100% over 100%...the +50% looks pretty good (112.5% or some such).

Just saying its never that cut and dried, with manuevability, number of manuever units and ease of use being big factors (as noted above the 18 inch vs the 30 inch beams).

Ripple

In a 5 point Raid fleet I would take 2 of the Hyperion (basic) Cruisers. Its a good cheap heavy laser. Taking more than 2 could screw you in intitative vs. boresight unless the rest of your ships are all PL:S or PL:p. The only variant I've used is the Command Hyperion from the Earth Mimbari War supplement.

It's different for different ships, depending on the specialities. Regardless of what people think, that's the general principle the PL system is built upon. Undoubtedly boresighted ships tend to fare better at lower PLs but that too is generally taken into account :)

I use them in the 3rd Age fleets I take but only when I have the opportunity to burn a few points here and there.

I personally prefer the Olympus gunship over a Hyperion for Early Era simply because of the overlooked versitility of the ship;

1 it acts as and works perfectly with, Init sinks.

2 its got 6AD of SAP DD Beams, making it an awesome mid-range sniper

3 If ignored it can be deadly, if people go chasing after it its a Hull 4 sacrificial lamb.

The Olympus Gunship is an awesome buy for a Raid point!

It is of course vulnerable will a Hull of 4 (I think it would be one sick puppy with Hull 5) and does have a boresight and isn't very maneoverable so I suppose is somewhat balanced.

Still...I'm surprised no-one's tried to field 5 of them in a 5pt Raid tourney (or maybe 4 + 2 Saggs)

As for the Hyperion - I like the look of the model, I've seen some very nicely painted ones and TBH, that's what got me into ACTA in the first place. I think the Hyperion is a well balanced ship in it's PL level with a nice number of variants...not everything can be a Prefect you know ;)

Ive taken alot of the Hyperion assaults, i kinda like them for crusade, I dont use the Hyperion cruiser much becasue my opponents will usually take them pretty early on

CaptBavo said:
Ive taken alot of the Hyperion assaults, i kinda like them for crusade, I dont use the Hyperion cruiser much becasue my opponents will usually take them pretty early on

I had the same idea. I plan to use Chronos & Delphi at Raid level anyway for Crusade Era battles. I think a Marathon would be a better option at instead of 2 Hyperions anyway

They're great in Skirmish or below games, but outclassed at Raid or higher. The Earth/Minbari war versions are mostly Skirmish level and the "modern" laser or pulse armed varieties are really just Skirmish ships with upgraded weapons. doesn't stop me using them mind, I love the way they look and they work well as support for heavier ships.

Back