How far roughly?

JMISBEST

Mongoose
I have a idea for A Traveller based version of a charity walk to raise funds for Marduk orphans from a recent Aslan Attack that, when I do it, will be A PR Stunt to improve relations between Drinax and Marduk

What I need to know is that if the walk takes roughly just over 23 minutes at a speed of roughly just under 2.9 miles per hour, due to the walkers being both great walkers and very fit, roughly how far is it they are walking?

JMISBEST said:
I have a idea for A Traveller based version of a charity walk to raise funds for Marduk orphans from a recent Aslan Attack that, when I do it, will be A PR Stunt to improve relations between Drinax and Marduk

What I need to know is that if the walk takes roughly just over 23 minutes at a speed of roughly just under 2.9 miles per hour, due to the walkers being both great walkers and very fit, roughly how far is it they are walking?

And you can't do the math because?

(2.9 miles per hour / 60 minutes) x 23 minutes = ?

it isn't very hard. It also isn't much of a walk.

I can't really because this kind of mathematics is a thing I've always had trouble with. Sorry, can you please help me?

JMISBEST said:
I can't really because this kind of mathematics is a thing I've always had trouble with. Sorry, can you please help me?

That is why calculators exist. And if you can post online, you have access to a calculator in some form.

First, you convert miles per hour into miles per minute. You do so by taking the MPH, and dividing by 60 (for the number of minutes in an hour). So:

2.9 / 60 = 0.048

Roughly 0.048 miles per minute. Then, you multiply by the number of minutes. In this case, 23.

0.048 x 23 = 1.104

So in 23 minutes, walking at 2.9 miles per hour, you cover 1.104 miles. That is really short for a charity walk.

* 2.9 mph is actually a fairly respectable pace. This works out at 4.6 km per hour. Google maps assumes you walk at 4 km per hour when working out how long it will take you to walk from point A to point B.
* 23 minutes is *way* too short for a charity walk. Most charity walks in my experience, i.e. those for Joe and Jane average to join in, are 5km.
* You can ask Wolfram Alpha maths questions phrased in natural english and it will usually give the right answer.
https://www.wolframalpha.com
For instance I asked it: how long to walk 5 miles at 2 miles an hour?
And it gave (correctly): 2.5 hours.

JMISBEST said:
due to the walkers being both great walkers and very fit

Oh! Sorry I had thought you had said the opposite of that.
For "great walkers, very fit", I'd expect 3.5 to 4 mph, especially if the walk is as short as 1 hour. I.e. my regular lunch time walk is 3.3 miles, which I do in 55 minutes, i.e. 3.5 mph.
For a charity walk for "great walkers, very fit", rather than Joe or Jane average, I would expect a challenging day long (8 hour) hike, possibly through mountainous terrain.
E.g. 15 miles at 2 mph, counting breaks etc.
This taken from recent charity walks in my area.

Back