How do you paint your armies?

What painting style do you use when painting same style on many figs?

• Assembly-line style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Complete one at a time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aniyn

Mongoose
Just wondering how everyone paints their units, and the reason you do it in that way. Is one way favorable to the other?
To clairify:
Assembly-line style: Base coating all models at once, dry brushing them all at the same time, the whole squad is done at prety much the same time

Aniyn said:
Just wondering how everyone paints their units, and the reason you do it in that way. Is one way favorable to the other?
To clairify:
Assembly-line style: Base coating all models at once, dry brushing them all at the same time, the whole squad is done at prety much the same time

Hard ta vote here Aniyn, as I kinda do both. I tak m' time on special figs lak Lt's, NCO's etc. where as w/ standard line grunts I assembly line em.
I use whatever fig is goin ta b' th leader, paint em up nice & sloe & base th rest o' th squad on that theme.

Definately assembly line style for me.

The only time I ever do a one of figure is when I am painting fantasy characters like some of the LOTR, WHQ etc.

It's much more time efficient to do everything at once. Also, you can more easily paint models in a uniform fashion if you do certain parts all at once on a number of models.

For man sized models I paint in groups of 10, usually.

I will always do one Modell complete first - that's the colour sheme tester and orientation point for the modells to come later.

Then I'll grab about 10 Modells and paint them in assembly line style.
Then the next ten ones and the next ten.

Galatea said:
I will always do one Modell complete first - that's the colour sheme tester and orientation point for the modells to come later.

Then I'll grab about 10 Modells and paint them in assembly line style.
Then the next ten ones and the next ten.

Well yeah, I do that too. But thats only on models, I am uncertain of the colour scheme. Most of the time, I just go straight to the assembly line. So if I had painted MI's before, I'd no bother doing a colour tester first.

Though really large moldels, I tend to do on their own. Its a kind of Psycological thing there, doing large models in an Assembly line seems to take ages.

The same for me. Big models are painted on their own, warriors and MI go straight to the assembly line. I am quite a lazy painter and I enjoy using washes so assembly style is the way to go to reduce waiting times.

As a plus you get your stuff finished really fast - like these guys (though yet unbased) :)
sst+001.jpg

I haven't voted as it depends, my Bugs are (for the most part) chain painted. My Mongrels were painted 1 at a time (but then again there is on 13 of them).

So it depends really.

Voted Assembly line as that's how the bulk of my armies gets painted. characters and important figures get some more loveing than that.

With most games, squads on assembly line, individual characters individually. With SST though the majority of characters are wearing the same armour as the squads so they sit on the production line with the squad and then get extra details put on afterwards. Large models like marauders usually get done two at a time because you still need something to paint at each stage while the first one is drying, and I find it more efficient to paint exactly the same thing I just did.

I do reach a boredom limit when I'm doing more than eight of the same stage on the same figure at a time, which usually resulted in the last couple of members in each of my squads looking a bit shoddy unless I mix up the order at each stage. More recently I've fixed that by painting half-squads and trying very hard not to care that it'll be a couple of weeks painting other things before I go back and finish the other half.

Am a LAMI/IG player - an assembly line for both troops and characters is the only sensible choice ^_-

My painting skills are so very badly lacking that it doesn't take me long to finish them! :lol:

So yeah, all at once, mostly. The paint I use drys quickly so I can get right to it!

like for the rest of this week, I want to get the rest of my skinnie army painted for the bring and battle on saturday at MGT. :)
Venerables are being rushed about now :(.

Yeah Lt I am super selective as well!!
Naah. I use the largest brush I can get away with at each stage of painting, with the paint constantly thinned to just the right consistency for good coverage, must admit though the 2" wide house paint brush is a little broad for doing the cornea and pupil in the eyes. Hee, Hee :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it simply takes as long as it takes, sometimes assembly line sometimes individual figs.

I like to change it up and am constantly experimenting with different color mixes, washes (ink and watercolor. etc.) My next experiment is going to involve using Future floor wax (clear acrylic liquid) with varying pigment mixes to attempt to achieve color shift on figures without using the special paint kits to get the same effect.

Future floor wax run approximately $6.00-$6.50 USD for 27 fluid ounces.
Functions as an extremely durable shiny gloss finish that really protects the paint job. Need to experiment with Dullcoat over it to give a flat finish. Need to be certain of compatibility issues. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not one at a time, but I wouldn't call it an assembly line either. I paint in small groups of between 2 and 5, usually about 3 at a time for MI -size models. One at a time for larger models.

Oh, I did paint my bug soldiers in an assembly line come to think of it.

Assembly line...both for prepping and painting.

For prepping, I'll do a whole unit at a time, clean them up, wash them, base them, then prime them, then put them in the Army Case. Then I'll move on to the next unit and repeat.

I add all the details (sand, rocks, other stuff) to the base before priming, rather than after. Foliage, grass, etc. is added just before I use sealer.

For painting, I just open the case and pick about five of the next figs in queue. I paint the same area on every fig, then go back and start on a new area. Rinse, wash, repeat.

For me, the worst part is prepping: filing, sanding, scraping, filling, etc. is pure tedium to me.

Back