How do you guys handle Corruption?

I agree that corruption should MOSTLY concern exposure to supernatural/otherworldy/Cthulhu-esque evil, monsters, demons, devils, etc.

I do see a point where corruption CAN be applied to a person for their actions. If corruption is only for "supernatural evil" then Adolf Hitler was as free and clear from corruption as a new born babe. I disagree with that premise (supernatural evil "only"). Same with Charles Manson or some of the "monsters" we humans have created. Some humans in our history have accumulated "corruption", "bad karma", whatever you want to call it from their ACTIONS. Every action? Not necessarily but I'm convinced Adolf Hitler was corrupt and he didn't come into contact with demons.

Some in-human/inhumane actions by humans should get corruption points. This in and of itself should be RARE but the GM should justly "reward" PC behavior- be it good OR bad. I'm not talking about a simple rape and pillage or killing. I'm talking about a PC who is consistently, deeply and without remorse engaging in acts of evil (which sounds like your pirate).

Conan wasn't a saint but I don't think he was corrupted. but then he didn't go around torturing everyone and anyone just for the hell of it from the second he left Cimmeria.

Reputation. Fate Points. Corruption. "Role-playing consequences" "in game". All are ways to deal with this. Let the GM decide but do remember, actions have consequences and PCs should man up and accept responsibility for whatever they have done/did.

My 2 cents.

decker423 said:
Conan wasn't a saint but I don't think he was corrupted. but then he didn't go around torturing everyone and anyone just for the hell of it from the second he left Cimmeria.
"Just for the hell of it", no, but Conan tortured Constantius with an old mean 'eye for an eye'-style revenge in A Witch Shall be Born. The other nailed him to a cross, he did him the same.

It's a grim and harsh world and Conan is certainly not Mother Theresa.
Rightful barbarian vengeance has little to do with gratuitous evil acts... at least for a cimmerian !

If corruption is only for "supernatural evil" then Adolf Hitler was as free and clear from corruption as a new born babe.

You have to be a bit careful here. Corruption, as used by Conan, is a technical term with a specific meaning, and that meaning isn't quite the same as the common one. I have no doubt that Hitler was an utterly cottupt individual in the usual sense, but it doesn't follow that he was in the Conan sense.

Corruption seems overtly supernatural. Its a measure of how connected you are to the other world. It is NOT a moral measure: you can gain corruption for quite innocent acts, or under duress, and you can commit acts of shocking evil without gaining a point.

Being the source of the question I find the majority-oppinion (corruption is supernatural in origin and not just "evil acts") convincing.

Thanks guys - the Borderer-Soldier lost her point of corruption and the player got back on track of playing her character in the way before the "let's toture some herder"-stunt.

That was also a result of me cancelling the corruption-point. She said that with the corruption point she would have felt that the character would develop an even more sinister character which she did not intend in the first place.

The Pirate-Thief is now trying to become a necromancer ... signing a carte blanche contract with an evil sorceror (who did not even hide that he is EVIL) with his own blood. :roll:

Yes, I will make him pay. :twisted:

Der Rote Baron said:
The Pirate-Thief is now trying to become a necromancer ... signing a carte blanche contract with an evil sorceror (who did not even hide that he is EVIL) with his own blood. :roll:

Yes, I will make him pay. :twisted:

LOL! That reminds me so much of the Khitian martial diciple in my party - who apparently is in it entirely to gain more power and martial arts techniques. He jumped at the opprotunity to sleep with a millenia-old half-scorpion half-princess abomination when she told him thier (hundreds) of children would willingly follow him as a half-man half-scopion army.

She just didn't mention until afterward that the eggs wouldn't hatch for 200 years... and that she impaled and poisoned her mates after "the deed".

Back