Homebrew Spell: The Curse of Jhebbal Sag

Scorpion13

Mongoose
I had an idea for a new spell. So, tell me how you like it.

The Curse of Jhebbal Sag
Style: Curses
PP Cost: 10
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Evil Eye
Target: One Creature
Duration: 1 month
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Prerequisites: Magic Attack Bonus +5 or higher, Greater Ill-Fortune, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Rune of Jhebbal Sag
Magic Attack Roll: Sets DC for target's saving throw

It is said only the beast and savages worship Jhebbal Sag now, though once he was worhipped by all of humanity. Those who know how, can mark themselves as worshippers of Jhebbal Sag, and when marked as such, the beasts will not attack him.

But Jhebbal Sag is a vengeful, savage god, and those who anger him feel not only his wrath, but the wrath of all those who worship him.

This curse, reserved only for the most offensive of enemies, causes animals to become enraged at the victim of the curse, and attack on sight, even pursuing him until one or the other is dead.

Every animal within 200ft of the victim must make a will save (DC 18 ) or be driven to track down and attack the recipient of the curse. If the owner of such an animal is at hand, he may make a Handle Animal check (DC 20) to calm the animal.

This spell also causes the victim to suffer a -4 penalty to any Charisma based skill check when dealing with worshippers of Jhebbal Sag. Also, any worshippers of Jhebbal Sag are automatically treated as Unfriendly towards the victim of this spell.

So...whadaya think?

Looks good, but the spell is the certain doom for every character in the wilderness: he is target for a never ending supply of animals.
Nonetheless, if used in the proper way, it will add to atmosphere.

Y'know I just came up with this spell on my own to post today on "Raven's Rules"

New Spell

Scent of Honey [Advanced Spell of the Blights and Curses Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 4
Casting Time: One minute
Range: Close [Twenty five feet plus five feet per level of Scholar the caster possesses]
Target: One creature
Duration: One hour per level of Scholar the caster has
Saving Throw: None
Perquisites: Ill-fortune, lesser, summon animal; four ranks of Handle Animal; six ranks of Knowledge [nature]; Magical Attack Bonus of +2 or higher
Magical Success Roll: Sets the DC for the target’s saving throw

Scent of honey is a cruel spell designed by the Picts to further harry invaders in their lands, though variants of the spell are seen in many barbaric cultures. Targets of the spell who fail an opposed Willpower save against the caster’s Magic Success Roll have their scent subtly changed so that it becomes irresistible to predatory beings. When in the wilderness, encounters with animals become twice as likely. For example if the terrain the target is passing through a random encounter occurs normally one in six times, it occurs two in six times. If the creatures that encounters the target isn’t a predatory animal, roll again on the encounter table. If the second roll is one or more predatory animals, the target encounters it instead of the creature originally rolled. If not, the target meets the creature originally rolled on the encounter table.

All encounters with predatory animals begin as Hostile, but they may retreat if driven off- only to keep Tracking the target so long as the spell lasts, waiting for another opportunity to attack. The predators will always prefer to attack the target of the spell in preference to other creatures, but will defend themselves is attacked by others, hoping to clear a path to the target. If there are more than one person affected by scent of honey, the predators will attack the one closest to them. Depending on what Terrain the target of the spell is in, this spell can be anything from a mere annoyance to a virtual death sentence.

The magic of the spell is subtle. If cast secretly the target may not know something is happened unless they look for an enchantment on themselves and make a DC 20 Knowledge [arcana] check- or possess the Scent ability themselves.

Weird, huh?

Raven

Before I start my rant, I'd like to point out that I'm very cynical when it comes to game-balance issues, and I often see "flaws" in official rules as well, so this is not personal.

The idea itself is cool, but my first though is that the execution makes it a flavour-only spell. Combining a 1 minute casting time with verbal/somatic components and a range of Evil Eye basically says you have to restrain the victim to cast the spell on him. Even then he might close his eyes, or make the save. Since the spell costs 10 PP, the caster might even have to let the victim "sleep over" for a day before the spell finally works. If the victim was "the most offensive of enemies" the sorcerer would probably be better off just killing him. Setting him loose with a curse that could be removed by killing the sorcerer/having Greater Warding cast, or simply waited out in a city doesn't seem like a good option. And if the victim is reasonably powerful, he won't have much to fear from most animals anyway, although small animals could still be annoying.

The fact that this spell has pretty tough prerequisites (12th level, lots of ranks in a skill that isn't needed for many other spells, one very weak spell, one spell from another style) makes me think it should be reasonably useful. You might also think about adding "worshipper of Jhebbal Sag" to the prerequisites, since this spell seems strongly tied to him. After all, the Child of Jhebbal Sag feat suggests he is real, even if he isn't a true god.

The kinds of animals it affects could also be considered, since some situations might be undesirable. Mice are common in many parts of the world. Being accosted by a tiny squeaking mouse on a regular basis would at best be ominous, and at worst comical :).

Both spells are clever ideas. The flavor suggests they should be used on unsuspecting enemies, allowing a sorcerer who lacks sufficient resources to wear his enemies down over time and let animals do the killing. A one-month duration is at the upper limit of what I'd consider; one hour per level is too short for a nasty curse.

I'm not a huge fan of using charts when the GM can simply use a little imagination, but it might be helpful to add a severity table, detailing a number of encounters per day and whether it's a nuisance (squirrels getting into the rations) or life-or-death (a pride of lions is feeling peckish and decides you'd make a nice snack).

Something to consider: while the spells as written appear to be targeted at individuals, it would wreak havoc on a larger group as well. With sufficient duration, an army on the march would fall apart under these curses as their sentries are killed in the night by predators, their beds are invaded by snakes and spiders, and vermin infest the supply wagons. That would justify a high PP costy and numerous prerequisites.

Ok, after reading all the critcisims, I have to say I agree with some of the things said

1. About the most offensive enemies thing: Well, why doesnt every sorcerer just kill his enemies instead of cursing them? That isnt the point. The point of this spell is that the vicitm is tormented, hunted by almost every living creature. Didnt think about that part about the mice though. I really like that. Ill have to remember it if I put it in my game..... :twisted:

2. Yeah, the pre-regs were pretty hefty, but think about it: Basically, instead of summoning a few animals with the spell, you sumonned every animal that comes near him to do battle with him. Like Rene said, if you find your self in the Picish Wilderness or the Black Kingdoms, or really any jungle, good lord...

Anywho, I just wanted to balance out a spell that could (IMHO) be pretty damn powerful. Ill tweak it and repost it. Later.

All that being said, do think it was a good idea, or......

Scorpion13 said:
Every animal within 200ft of the victim must make a will save (DC 18 ) or be driven to track down and attack the recipient of the curse. If the owner of such an animal is at hand, he may make a Handle Animal check (DC 20) to calm the animal.

One word dude: ants.

Every animal follows the target of this spell around trying to eat him for a whole friggin month, all for a measily 10PP. This poor bum will be dead from bird pecks before then, or be driven absolutely insane as he's suffocated by cockroaches.

Significantly imballanced.

If the gimmick was that the target was littlerally marked, like the Sorcerer had to put a symboly on him, then it would be harder to affect the casting and, therefore, a bit more reasonable. I'd also maybe say that the Sorcerer cannot create a curse that attracks more hit dice worth of creatures than he has levels, total. Forexample, a swarm of ants might be 1HD and a swarm of roaches another 1HD, a pack of wild dogs adds maybe 5 creatures at 1HD each, so that totals out to be 7HD worth of critters - only doable by a 7th level or higher Sorcerer.

Raven: Making all predatory creatures within scent range (miles?) track the target for even fewer PP is far too powerful. I'd say to make the ranks of Handle Animal count for something and make your spell one that is cast on a specific predatory beast that the Sorcerer has to secure by some means plus some article of the target: a lock of hair, a bit of clothing, even a dagger. It binds that creature to track the target relentlessly with no means to mask his trail without confronting and killing the beast.

I'll admit, I don't really know that much about the ballance of the Conan magic system, but these spells seem too far over the op to me.

Sutek: Insects and arachnids are vermin in D&D 3.5. I haven't read the creature sections in Conan, but normal insects are probably vermin there as well. Even if they weren't, I don't think The Curse of Jhebbal Sag is over the top in any way. In its current incarnation, I think it is one of the weakest spells I've seen in Conan. The casting time, range, and components combine to make this spell mostly useless except against prisoners.

A mostly rational sorcerer would sacrifice a dangerous prisoner quickly, perhaps by carving out his still-beating heart. A sadistic sorcerer could poke out his eyes, cut off his tongue, saw off his arms and legs, and then heal him to prevent him from dying. Even if the victim had someone to provide for him, he would still suffer terribly for the rest of his life. His chances may be slim if he is thrown naked into a forest teeming with large wildlife, but compared to the first two alternatives, this spell is a blessing rather than a curse.

As for Scent of Honey, I don't think this is "significantly imbalanced" either. It takes 1 minute to cast and works on close range. And a successful save negates the spell. Even if the spell works the victim could detect it with Scent or a Knowledge (arcana) check. The easiest way to cast this spell on someone would probably be in a crowded city, but the relatively short duration makes this a poor choice most of the time. If the sorcerer wants to cast it to good effect, he'll probably have to sneak up on his victim in the wilderness. I would imagine most sorcerers aren't good at hiding and moving silently, and if he is discovered he could be in big trouble.

I guess if the sorcerer planned it really well, he might be able to cast these two spells outside the circumstances I've mentioned, but they still wouldn't be stronger than some of the existing offensive spells.

Both seem the sorts of spells that would be cast on a target whom the sorcerer had gained the confidence of and could get close to. The prisoner idea folds into the "vermin" category, locked in a cell with nothing but bugs and rats. Ick. In Conan, there's no classification such as "vermin". In actuality, do encounter a swarm of these types of animals, a GM would have to wing it becase Conan RPG does include such a thing. Animals range from cattle to badgers to grey apesto saber-tooth cats, and that sort of range of viable attracted creature is excessively powerful, in my opinion. 10PP seems like it might be unreasonable given that Summon greater beast is a maximum of 8PP to summon a single Huge animal to a sorcerer. The Curse suggested involves any and all animals within range and commands them to hunt the target. It's not a terrible idea, and I;m only one guy dissenting here, but I think it needs some serious tweaking.

Scent of Honey is a little better, but still, it involves command of more than one "predatory animal" (normally excessively vicious and difficult to control) to attack the target of the spell on site. Anyone else besides me realize that "predatory animal" could be construed as including Pirates as well as panthers? That's a broadening the spell way beyound what Raven's intent is, but that's why actual animal limitations need to be inthere. I'm not suggesting a chart, but just a limit on what animals can and will be involved. Sabertooth or 7 Badgers? That sort of thing.

I like the ideas, but the execution is flawed and top heavy (meaning it favors result rather than foundation).

I think there is a Vermin subtype- I think I can recall the Giant Spider from the main Conan being listed as Vermin. There are swarms as well- listed in the Across the Thunder River sourcebook along with the spell to summon them. There is even a Centripede Swarm, whose stats could work wel for Fire Ants as well.

As for scent of honey being a weaker spell, one of the threads I have been using in "Raven's Rules" is the idea of simplier spells leading naturally to more advance versions. In the Element and Forces Sphere of Power, the basic spell witchlight is the prerequisitefor the advanced spell elemental touch, which is the requirement for elemental strike, etc. If I were to write up the next progression of scent of honey, it eould have a Power Point cost of 4, a Duration of one day per level of Scholar the caster possessed and the requirements of scent of huney; ill-fortune, basic; summon beast; ten ranks of Knowledge [nature] and a Base Magical Attack bonus of +4 or higher.

As for casting on a group, couldn't you use the Sorcerer's Rule of Success and cast it at half Power Point cost and +1 magical bonus on the next in the group and so on until you PP were expended?

Also, the spell need not be cast by people who have befriended the party. A Pict Shaman could easily get close enough in the wild to cast the spell at his target unseen. Then after the spell took its toll on the target(s), the Pict ambush party would attack the weakened target(s) and eliminate them with ease.

Raven

Raven Blackwell said:
"...one of the threads I have been using in "Raven's Rules" is the idea of simplier spells leading naturally to more advance versions."

Yeah, I noticed that about your stuff and like it, but there's just too many differences to the RAW and I have a tough enough time keeping it all up here (points at noggin) as it is! (lol) Keeping it RAW works and is reflective of the stories and I like it best.

The giant spider is listed as a vermin. Hadn't noticed that before either, RB. It's still under the heading of "animal" in the book.

I see the spells as way too powerful based on what is already in the book, but then again, your system is really pretty much totally different, so it's probably fine in that context. I just see Greater Ill Fortune as costin 8PP and only imparting a mere -4 penalty. Now, I weight that against a 10PP spell that causes all animals to track and hunt the spells target creature or one that lures any and all predatory animals in the area to him as granting a given sorcerer much more bang for his bock.

Anayway, I've said my bit. Have fun with it...that's the bottom line really.

8)

I decided to risk the grumpy wrath of our DM and looked at the giant spider's type. Like you said it is animal (vermin). Weird, as vermin is a type in D&D, but apparently a subtype in Conan.

Raven: RAW = Rules as written.

Sutek: I personally wouldn't base spell comparisons on Greater Ill-Fortune. Even though it is highly versatile, the high PP cost combined with the very weak effect makes this spell one of the worst advanced spells I've seen in the AE. Harassing someone through a magical link may be fun, but it's not that useful compared to many of the other spells. Take a look at spells like Gelid Bones, Dread Serpent, Death Touch, and Yimsha's Carpet to get a feel for what an offensive spell should be like in Conan.

It may be one of the worst advanced spells in the game, but it's an 8PP spell. That's where my comparison is coming from. See what I mean? 8PP get's a -4 to a foe's rolls, but with the Curse, 10 gets you every animal around hunting him down.

I guess it's the pre-reqs that really matter, but still...

The Curse of Jhebbal Sag
Style: Curses
PP Cost: 10
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Full Round
Range: Evil Eye
Target: One Creature
Duration: 1 Week
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Prerequisites: Magic Attack Bonus +5 or higher, Greater Ill-Fortune, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Rune of Jhebbal Sag
Magic Attack Roll: Sets DC for target's saving throw

It is said only the beast and savages worship Jhebbal Sag now, though once he was worhipped by all of humanity. Those who know how, can mark themselves as worshippers of Jhebbal Sag, and when marked as such, the beasts will not attack him.

But Jhebbal Sag is a vengeful, savage god, and those who anger him feel not only his wrath, but the wrath of all those who worship him.

This curse, reserved only for the most offensive of enemies, causes animals to become enraged at the victim of the curse, and attack on sight, even pursuing him until one or the other is dead.

Every animal within 50ft of the victim must make a will save (DC 18 ) or be driven to track down and attack the recipient of the curse. If the owner of such an animal is at hand, he may make a Handle Animal check (DC 20) to calm the animal.

This spell also causes the victim to suffer a -4 penalty to any Charisma based skill check when dealing with worshippers of Jhebbal Sag. Also, any worshippers of Jhebbal Sag are automatically treated as Unfriendly towards the victim of this spell.

There, how does it look now?

How about:

Duration: Caster's Magic Attack Roll x his Sorcerer level in Days.

Every animal the victim encounters or that is withing Scent range must make a will save or be driven to attack the recipient of the curse (DC = 5 + caster's Magic Attack roll). If the owner of such an animal is at hand, or if the target of the spell has the skill, either may make a Handle Animal check (DC 20) to calm the animal. Although not animals, any worshippers of Jhebbal Sag are also affected and will attack the victim if they fail the same will save (DC = caster's Magic Attack roll).

This spell also causes the victim to suffer a -4 penalty to any Charisma based skill check when dealing with worshippers of Jhebbal Sag or animals.

Only animals and cultists that have hit dice equal to or lower than the caster's own Sorcerer level will be compelled. If the caster is merely a Dabbler, all DC values and hit dice maximums are reduced by 4.

The underlined bits are my changes. Basically, the curse only works as well as the caster is able to invoke the spell. Cultists will have an easier time of either detecting or ignoring the curse, and so have less of a chance of attacking the cursed individual outright. The CHA mod due to the curse will now inhibit the victim's attempts to use Handle Animal, but not the handler of the animal if that should be someone different. Also, there's a limit to the hit dice so low level Sorcers aren't capable of casting a spell that elepants after the victim or something. Also, the durationis variable, so not even the Sorcerer knows how long his victim will be cursed, but more powerful casters can make longer lasting curses!

Those changes may warrant a reductiuon in PP, but it's more complete, much more specific and more attuned to the system. On the other hand, many spells that affect multiple targets (which this does, technically because it compells any animal with the ability to notice the victim) usually have a cost of PP X+, where X is a base value that increases dependant on the number or type. 10PP seems to do the trick.

Just my take on it. Love it or leave it.

8)

Back