Heroic Abilities - some new ideas

ThatGuy and Ultor have both posted Minotaur's Blow, but different versions. ThatGuy's version lasts for STR in combat rounds, Ultor's lasts for only one combat round. Does anyone know which of these is the original ability as published?

Ultor said:
SPEAR CATCH, Dex 15+, 1H Melee Combat Style 90%+, HP 8
On a successful IH opposed Athletics test against a thrown missile attack, the hero catches the missile. If they gain a combat maneuver, they can throw the weapon back.
What is "On a successful IH opposed Athletics test" supposed to mean? I'm posting these to the wiki.

*Edit* Also, anyone know what the cost of Fearsome Aura should be?

*Edit* I've finished posting all these to the wiki:
http://mrqwiki.com/wiki/index.php/MRQ2Heroic_Abilities
If anyone knows more specifically where the "from an MRQ1 publication" abilities come from, please update the text. Or post it here or PM me and I'll do it.

PhilHibbs said:
ThatGuy and Ultor have both posted Minotaur's Blow, but different versions. ThatGuy's version lasts for STR in combat rounds, Ultor's lasts for only one combat round. Does anyone know which of these is the original ability as published?
I don't recall but I suspect I changed it to one CR as it seemed overpowered to me otherwise.

PhilHibbs said:
Ultor said:
SPEAR CATCH, Dex 15+, 1H Melee Combat Style 90%+, HP 8
On a successful IH opposed Athletics test against a thrown missile attack, the hero catches the missile. If they gain a combat maneuver, they can throw the weapon back.
What is "On a successful IH opposed Athletics test" supposed to mean? I'm posting these to the wiki.

*Edit* Also, anyone know what the cost of Fearsome Aura should be?

*Edit* I've finished posting all these to the wiki:
If anyone knows more specifically where the "from an MRQ1 publication" abilities come from, please update the text. Or post it here or PM me and I'll do it.
The test means that the Hero opposes his Athletics skill in a roll against the thrown missile attack upon him.

Door of Battle, Salmon Leap, Shield Kick and Monster Slayer all come Slaine. Always Something to Swing From and Dashing/Beautiful come from Pirates. Most of the others come from the MRQ1 Legendary Abilities supplement. I'm doing this from memory, though.

PhilHibbs said:
Any thoughts about this:
Dodgy
Requirements: DEX 15 or more, Evade 90% or more
Hero Points: 12
Duration: One melee round
You are adept at avoiding blows, and so may evade without losing the ability to attack on the next Combat Action.

Evade requirement too high? Hero Point cost ok?

I'd change the name to something more evocative like Slippery as the eel myself(dodgy sounds abit iffy for what the skill does).

broken serenity said:
I'd change the name to something more evocative like Slippery as the eel myself(dodgy sounds abit iffy for what the skill does).

There's already an "official" one listed earlier from an RQ1 supplement, called "Evasion".

Am I right in thinking that part of the balance of Heroic Abilities is that they give non-magicians something to spend their MPs on, and that if magicians want to do something impressive with their MPs, then they should be using magic rather than Heroic Abilities that affect their magic? Or, is there scope for Heroic Abilities that are directly useful to casters?

PhilHibbs said:
Am I right in thinking that part of the balance of Heroic Abilities is that they give non-magicians something to spend their MPs on, and that if magicians want to do something impressive with their MPs, then they should be using magic rather than Heroic Abilities that affect their magic? Or, is there scope for Heroic Abilities that are directly useful to casters?
I'm a big believer in choice. If there are Heroic Abilities that could make sense for casters, I'd say bring them on. That way GMs and Players can choose.

sdavies2720 said:
I'm a big believer in choice. If there are Heroic Abilities that could make sense for casters, I'd say bring them on. That way GMs and Players can choose.

Heh, I came here basically to say this. I have always been mystified that I have never seen a single Heroic Ability that extends or enhances any form of magic in any way.

I expect that tinkering with magic via Heroic Abilities can easily create an imbalance in play, but I think some cautious experimentation here could be educational.

Phil:
I've had a look at the Heroic Abilities on the wiki site and there were a few details omitted. I've had a go at filling the gaps and smoothing off a couple of rough edges. For consideration/comment:
Accuracy of the Gods – Duration: One missile attack
Ageless – Duration: Continuous for one year at a cost of 1 POW perm
Always Something To Swing From – Duration: DEX Rounds
Avoidance – Duration: DEX combat actions
Black Waltz - Good as is
Blooodhound – Duration: One round
Born in a Boat - Good as is
Charmtongue - Duration: One Influence test
Dashing/Beautiful – Duration: CHA rounds
Diehard – Duration: One wound
Door of Battle – Duration: STR combat actions - When wearing no armour, shield is treated as 1 size larger and shield skill is +20 for parries
Doppelganger – Duration: CHA minutes
(Element) Immunity - Good as is
Fearsome Aura –Hero Points: 9
Gadgeteer – Duration: INT minutes
Hail of Woe – Duration: One missile attack
Healing Touch - Good as is
Heart of Oak – Duration: One Resilience test or 10 combat rounds
Hawk Eye - Good as is
Lord of the Mount – Duration: until the terrain or situation has been cleared, or if in combat, a number of rounds equal to CON
Lucky - Good as is
Maelstrom - Duration: One combat action
Martial Prowess - Duration: (STR + POW)/2 combat rounds
Minotaur’s Blow - Reduce duration to STR combat actions
Monster Slayer - Duration: One combat versus one monster. Additional limitation: Not effective on creatures quadruple the hero’s SIZ or greater
Musician - Duration: (DEX + CHA)/4 hours
One With the Wild - Good as is
Pinpoint Throw – Duration: One missile attack
Regeneration – Duration: Continuous – body automatically burns 1 magic point per total CON hit point healed
Salmon Leap – Duration: One round
Shield Kick – Duration: Hero’s (CA) combat actions; Additonal: the Athletics test should be an opposed test
Siren’s Voice - Good as is
Spear Catch – Duration: Hero’s (CA) combat actions; Additional: If they gain a combat manoeuvre, they can throw the weapon back either at the thrower, or another foe -20%/ metre from the thrower (and still within weapon range)
Spider Climb – Duration: DEX rounds
Spirit of the Ocean – Duration: until the terrain or situation has been cleared to a maximum of CON hours, or if in combat, a number of rounds equal to CON
Sudden Strike - This name is now used in Deus Vault for a dissimilar ability – rename this one Lightning Strike; Clarification: SR requirement is before armour mods
Titan’s Heft – Duration: One round
True Sight – Duration: (INT + POW)/2 rounds
Vanish – Duration: (DEX + INT)/2 rounds
(Weapon) Mastery – Overpowered, could be a campaign buster. Propose: Requirements: Close Combat style 150%+, Hero Points: 12, Duration: (DEX + STR)/2 combat actions
Start a new “Weapon Master (specific weapon) skill at DEX+STR; successful roll after hit with weapon roll twice base damage and damage modifier dice and choose which to apply in each case

@Morgan - looks like we both had the same idea. I had some free time so made some suggested changes directly on the wiki. Not had time to compare how they match with yours but it looks like you focused on durations as I did.

The "super heroic" abilities are problematic and generally don't fit RQII. They actually come from an old RQ1 supplement called Legendary Heroes which was, in my opinion, a big, smelly, steaming pile of horribleness.

Hi Del!
(I'm new to forums - does the "@" in "@ Morgan" mean "addressed directly to" ?) - thanks for that..

Ok, well I was quite careful in what I proposed, based it firstly on when I'd like as a pushy player and then as the GM dealing with that player. I balanced that against the fact that I'm fairly new to RQII and didn't want to put established noses out of joint. Also used RQII and Deus Vult as guidance.

Anyway, I'd be really interested if you did a cross compare and updated me - or give me the link to where your mods are and I'll have a look directly.
Cheers

Hi Del!
(I'm new to forums - does the "@" in "@ Morgan" mean "addressed directly to" ?) - thanks for that..

Ok, well I was quite careful in what I proposed, based it firstly on when I'd like as a pushy player and then as the GM dealing with that player. I balanced that against the fact that I'm fairly new to RQII and didn't want to put established noses out of joint. Also used RQII and Deus Vult as guidance.

Anyway, I'd be really interested if you did a cross compare and updated me - or give me the link to where your mods are and I'll have a look directly.
Cheers

Hi Morgan, my suggestions were added directly to Mr Qwiki at

Morgan d'Barganfore said:
Thanks Deleriad, I will go look.
By the way, how do you dd them directly?
Thanks
Create an account, log in, and click the Edit link. Syntax is relatively simple, just copy what's already there, I'll clean up anything that needs it.

RQII Heroic Abilities Ageless (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CON 20+, Resilience 125%+ Hero Points: 20 Duration: Continuous for one year at a cost of 1 POW perm Effect: Immune to natural ageing for 1 year if a Resilience test is successful. [GM option: Apply modifiers to the Resilience test for each use of this ability. These may be cumulative.]

Always Something To Swing From (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: DEX 15+, Acrobatics 50%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: DEX Rounds Effect: Unless impossible to activate (e.g. middle of the desert), the hero may swing from a “luckily situated” rope, line, chandelier or vine to disengage from an opponent. The hero may otherwise use this ability, to or swing into combat gaining +5% to combat style and +1d4 damage. Either use requires a successful Acrobatics test.

Avoidance (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: DEX 16+, Evade 90%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: 1 Combat Round Effect: You gain an additional Combat Action, usable only for Evade. You may also attack the CA after using the Evade ability

Black Waltz (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: DEX 15+, Melee weapon 90%+, Dance 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Up to CON Combat Rounds Effect: Entering Black Waltz requires costs 1 MP, and requires a CA and a successful difficult (-20%) Dance test. Combat Actions per round are doubled, attack skills and Evade are increased by +30%, Parry chance is reduced by -30%, and the character's Damage Modifier is nullified. The Hero can choose to leave Black Waltz before CON combat rounds. On leaving Black Waltz, gain 2 levels of Fatigue.

Blooodhound (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: INT 15+, Tracking 100%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Until the terrain or situation has been cleared Effect: May ask GM 3 simple questions about the tracks, which GM shall answer truthfully. Know exactly what has passed through area and when. Cannot be lost unless infeasible to retrace your steps

Born in a Boat (Source: Vagni) Requirements: CON 15+, Boating 90%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: Until the river terrain or situation has been cleared, or if in combat, a number of melee rounds equal CON Effect: Sitting in a boat is more natural to you than walking. Each time this ability is invoked you may ignore any and all boating and situational modifiers for terrain or the boat’s behavious. In addition while boating you may use your Boat skill instead of your Evade skill when evading missiles

Charmtongue: (Source: Vagni) Requirements: CHA 15+, Influence 90%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: One Influence test Effect: In any opposed Influence test with someone of lower CHA, reduce their skill by your CHA. If fail an Influence test, make a Persistence test to retry (fail means future Influence tests against same individual at -20%). Any successful Influence test (even as a Combat Action) results in opponent doing whatever you ask, even at their own disadvantage

Dashing/Beautiful (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CHA 13+ Hero Points: 4 Duration: CHA combat actions Effect: Gains +20% to Influence tests involving the opposite sex

Diehard (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CON 15+, Resilience 75%+ Hero Points: 15 Duration: 1 Resilience test Effect: On receiving a wound, a successful Resilience test allows the hero to treat the wound as one level less

Door of Battle (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 15+, Shield combat style 90%+ Hero Points: 6 Duration: STR combat actions Effect: When wearing no armour, shield is treated as 1 size larger and shield skill is +20 for parries

Doppelganger (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CHA 15+, Disguise 100%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Duration: CHA minutes Effect: Can automatically mask your voice to match Disguise. If observed target for an hour+, +20% to Disguise as them. CHA subtracted from Perception tests to see through Disguise. If an hour+ to prepare Disguise, test cannot fumble

Elemental Immunity (Source: Vagni) Requirements: POW 15+, Resilience 70%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Continuous - body automatically burns 1 MP when attacked. Fatigue levels are burned if no MP are available Effect: You are naturally resistant to one type of element, e.g. fire, water, darkness, earth or air. A successful Resilience test reduces damage from this element by 50%, A critical success reduces damage taken to 25%. A fumble doubles elemental damage taken

Fearsome Battle Aura (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CHA 15+, Combat style 70%+ Hero Points: 9 Duration: 1 combat Effect: All foes within your CHA in meters are intimidated, suffering your CHA as a penalty to any Persistence of Resilience tests. Use a CA to terrify enemies within the same range in an Influence vs Persistence test. If failed, they suffer your CHA as a penalty to combat styles until the end of the combat. [GM Option: the "terrify" roll should require a separate Magic Point spend for each enemy it is used on]

Gadgeteer (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: INT 15+, Mechanisms 100%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: INT minutes Effect: Can tinker with any mechanism to make it into something related that you need. Can turn “junk” into a related working device. Can tell what any mechanism is designed for at a glance. -50% penalty to anyone tinkering with a mechanism you designed

Hail of Woe (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Bow 90%+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: One missile attack Effect: Ignore all terrain between you and target. Add 1 dice damage and +10 to Hit Location

Healing Touch (Source: Vagni) Requirements: POW 15+, Healing & First Aid at 50%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: One skill roll per location healed Effect: You are a natural healer, you may ignore situational modifiers for any Healing or First Aid skill rolls and, if you make a successful roll, then the healing effects are doubled, e.g. 2D3 points healed for a First Aid injured location, 2 points on a serious wound, successful Healing skill doubles the critical bonus added to resist a disease etc. Critical success increases these by a further 50%. A fumble doubles the normal fumble effects.

Heart of Oak (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 15+, CON 15+, Resilience 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Resilience/10 Combat Rounds Effect: +5% to all Resilience tests (does not cost a MP). Gain a bonus of CON+STR to Resilience tests. If fail Resilience test, may re-roll once during period

Hawk Eye (Source: Vagni) Requirements: POW 15+, CON 15+, Perception 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: POW in minutes Effect: You are renowned for your keen eyesight and the ability to find hidden things. For the abilities duration you may add a bonus to your Perception equal to your POW+CON%

Lucky (Source: Vagni) Requirements: POW 15+, Persistence 90%+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: POW in melee rounds Effect: Once invoked the player may re-roll any one dice roll within the duration. He may not re-roll a dice roll made before the ability was invoked

Maelstrom (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 15+, Melee weapon 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: One combat action Effect: May use all offensive combat actions at once

Martial Prowess (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Two combat styles 125%+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: (STR + POW)/2 combat rounds Effect: At the cost of a permanent reduction of 1 POW, the Hero may start a new close combat Martial Prowess (specific weapon) skill at STR+POW. When used as a combat action at a cost of 1 MP, if successful, any enemy wanting to attack (who does not have Martial Prowess skill) must succeed in an opposed Persistence test against the original success roll or suffer a -20% penalty to combat style. Critical success gains a CA (fumble loses one). POW and Martial Prowess (specific weapon) skill may be improved in the normal way. Martial Prowess (specific weapon) may not exceed the combat style on which it is based.

Minotaur’s Blow (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 15 or higher, Unarmed skill at 90% or higher Hero Points: 8 Duration: Unarmed Skill/10 in Combat Actions Effect: Your punch is brutal, a solid hammer-like fist that shatters opponents skulls and flattens enemies foolish enough to stand in your way. By drawing upon your inner strength and your physical might you may expend a Combat Action and two Magic Points to channel your energy into your fists. Your damage modifier when using unarmed combat increases two steps and your unarmed attacks are considered one size larger for attacking (but not parrying). When this energy wears off, you gain one fatigue level

Monster Slayer (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 16+, Combat Style 90%+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: One combat versus one monster Effect: When fighting a monster twice the hero’s SIZ or greater, double the damage modifier. When the hero slays such a monster, he/she may devour the monster’s heart and gain half the creature’s CON and STR for one day, dropping by one point each day thereafter until back to normal. This ability is not effective on creatures quadruple the hero’s SIZ or greater

Musician (Source: Vagni) Requirements: DEX 15+, two Play (Instrument) skills at 50%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: (DEX + CHA)/4 hours Effect: As per the Linguist ability but applies to learning to Play (Instrument)

One With the Wild (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: POW 15+, Survival 70%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: POW weeks Effect: Can survive for POW weeks in the wild on a single Survival roll. With successful Survival roll, can make any survival item out of scavenged materials. Can feed 2xINT additional people on a successful Survival roll.

Salmon Leap (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: DEX 15+, Athletics 70%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: STR rounds, or if in combat, 1 Combat action Effect: Start Salmon Leap skill at STR+DEX. Leap your own height in the air. Salmon Leap ability allows Athletics test to be used instead of instead of Evade to avoid missile attacks, but may still attack next CA. Use with a melee combat style attack to add +1d6 damage in addition to Damage Modifier.

Shield Kick (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 15+, DEX 15+, Melee Combat Style 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: One combat round Effect: Kick an opponent’s shield up, leap on it and attack. To do this as a Combat Action: make a successful Athletics test versus opponent's Evade or Shield Parry skill and ignore opponent’s shield in combat for the combat round.

Siren’s Voice (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CHA 15+, Sing 125%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: CHA/3 rounds Effect: Can hide an Influence test in the song at -10%. Lower the guard of the audience (number = 2xCHA): reduce their, Perception by 50% and Combat Styles and Evade by 25% for duration of the song or until end of first round of combat (whichever is less). Sing a haunting ballad that reminds audience of their mortality – Persistence test vs the original Sing success or as if under effects of Demoralize spell

Spear Catch (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: DEX 15, 1H Melee Combat Style 90%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: 1 Combat Action Effect: On a successful opposed Athletics test against a thrown missile attack, the hero catches the missile. If they gain a combat manoeuvre, they can throw the weapon back either at the thrower, or another foe -20%/ metre from the thrower (and still within weapon range)

Spirit of the Ocean (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: CON 15+, Swim 90%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: until the terrain or situation has been cleared to a maximum of CON hours, or if in combat, a number of rounds equal to CON Effect: Reduce environmental penalties to Swim by 20%. May use large or huge weapons underwater without penalty. May hold breath for twice as long as a normal character. May use Swim skill instead of Evade when dodging missile attacks. Double swim movement speed.

Sudden Strike (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: SR 15+ (before armour mods), Melee combat style 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Until initiative is re-rolled Effect: When initiative is rolled roll an additional d10 and add it to your SR

Titan’s Heft (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: STR 18+, Brawn 100%+ Hero Points: 14 Duration: 1 feat of Strength Effect: Can multiply STR score by up to 4 for the effect of feats of strength, but immediately gains the multiplier in levels of Fatigue

True Sight` (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: POW 15+, Perception 125%+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: 1 round Effect: Can use Perception skill to see through magical barriers to perception. Automatically see anyone with less than 100% Stealth

Vanish (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: POW 15+, Stealth 90%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Duration: (DEX + INT)/2 rounds Effect: Can hide in plain sight at -10% to Stealth skill for each onlooker. Can only be seen on a Critical perception roll. (Vanish and True Sight cancel each other out)

Weapon Mastery (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Combat style 150%+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: (DEX + STR)/2 combat actions Effect: Start a new Weapon Master (specific weapon) skill at DEX+STR; successful roll after hit with weapon roll twice base damage and damage modifier dice and choose which to apply in each case. Weapon Master (specific weapon) skill can be improved in the normal way and may not exceed the specific Combat Style

RQII Superheroic Abilities Accuracy of the Gods (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Dead Eye, DEX 18+ Hero Points: 12 Duration: One missile attack Effect: Increase missile weapon’s damage by 2 & range by a further 50%

Lord of the Mount (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Born to the Saddle, Ride 125%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: Until the terrain or situation has been cleared, or if in combat, a number of rounds equal to CON Effect: Any penalty to Ride skill reduced by 50%. No penalty to weapon skill. Impart Born to the Saddle abilities to up to CHA riders of your choosing. They must remain within 5 x CHA metres of you.

Pinpoint Throw (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Dead Eye, DEX 15+, Athletics 90%+ Hero Points: 8 Duration: One thrown missile attack Effect: Double range for throwing items. Ignore 1 AP with every throwing attack.

Regeneration (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Disease Immunity, Poison Immunity, CON 19+ Hero Points: 18 Duration: Continuous – body automatically burns 1 MP per total CON hit point healed Effect: Heal 1 point in all locations (at the end of) every ten minutes

Spider Climb (Source: MRQ1) Requirements: Wall Leaping, Athletics 125%+ Hero Points: 10 Duration: Duration: DEX rounds Effect: Ignore up to 60% of any environmental penalties to climb. May use a one-handed weapon at no penalty while climbing. Can use Athletics skill rather than Evade to dodge missile attacks while climbing.

Back