Heroes of the 2nd Age

anjin

Mongoose
Just a thought - who are the heroes, or if you like the superheroes, of the 2nd Age?

In the 3rd Age we have Harrek, Jar Eel, Starbrow, the Red Emperor... Who are the Gloranthans our PCs should be ducking out of the way of in MRQ?

anjin said:
Just a thought - who are the heroes, or if you like the superheroes, of the 2nd Age?

In the 3rd Age we have Harrek, Jar Eel, Starbrow, the Red Emperor... Who are the Gloranthans our PCs should be ducking out of the way of in MRQ?

There's an appendix/mini-chapter in Magic of Glorantha dealing with this very subject, with notes on how your characters could interact with them, either as agents, allies or foes.

The Only Old One, son of Argan Argar is the only one I can remember off hand. He is a sort of a troll demigod, who rules a pocket empire of trolls, humans and sea-people. Some of the most important developments of EWF and the Godlearners happen in his lands.

He's, of course, more of a Dawn Age hero, but he is still present and important through all of the Second Age.

anjin said:

Survilstar Dragonslayer of Carmania might be one, and of course Karvanyar of Dara Happa is pretty darn heroic.

Survilstar, as his name indicates, discovers the secrets of Carmanian Dragonslaying and is a major force in the liberation of Peloria from the EWF. He is the half-brother of Shah Samandar of Carmania.

Karvanyar has many amazing adventures in his youth, and will successfully vie for the hand of the Dragon Sun's daughter. In the marriage ceremony Karvanyar is revealed to be the son of the true Emperor of Dara Happa (Urvanyar), and the father and son duo depose the Dragon Sun together.

The time-frame for these legendary events is right around the "now" of MRQ.

I may have missed this in another thread, but do we know the exact year of the now in MRQ's Second Age campaign material?

Rurik said:
I may have missed this in another thread, but do we know the exact year of the now in MRQ's Second Age campaign material?
Oops! I just did a search to verify the info, and I will have to revise my comment to say "rumored 'now' of MRQ". I can't find anything official, but rumor has it that the date is 908 ST. Time will tell...

Here's all the ones I could come up with.

Cragspider and Isidilian the Wise (the Dwarf of Dwarf Run). Both of them have been around since the Dawn I think.

Ironhoof was created by the EWF, right?

Alakoring Dragonslayer obviously.

The Only Old One, though he's under the thumb of the EWF, more or less.

Ethelrist of the Black Horse Troop would be alive and active, I think, but elsewhere. Maybe in Ralios?

The Orlanthi guy who breaks up Machine City and creates the Clanking Ruin. Name escapes me.

There's a Ralian Orlanthi named Aringor who did the Lightbringer Quest against the God Learners.

Balazar is alive at the end of the Age.

Delecti would still be alive and probably called something else and be prominent in the EWF.

Gorangi Vak, the Skybull tamer is supposed to be Second Age.

Jaldon Toothmaker helps kick EWF ass, eventually.

I think Li Phanquann, the undead fighting Humakti, was EWF era.

The God Learners resurrect Ralzakark, idiots.

Zzabur is around, not that anyone will ever see him.

There's a great list of Gloranthan heroes here:

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/heroes.html

Several other folks are mentioned as being active in the second age.

There's Delecti, who was a magical hero during the second age in a prosperous city state at a confluence of the Dragon Pass rivers, in the third age of course this becomes the Upland Marsh as he becomes the notorious Necromancer.

Zistor is another interesting one, a God-Learner who becomes the Machine God, founder of the Clanking City, source of many cheap mass-produced magic items.

Ilotos is the Emperor of the God Learners who patronises many bizarre magical and religious experiments.

Labrygon is the head of a mysterious group of Mystics and eventually settles down in the City of Pavic and builds the infamous Puzzle Canal.

As somebody mentioned there is also Eztankekko, the Only Old One, son of Argan Argar and ruler of the Shadowlands. This is an area of conservative resistance to the new Empires and pretty much on the front line. Even in the imperial age you have Orlanthi, Trolls & Earth cultists living traditional lives, while both Empires steadily encroach on their territories. This will probably be my setting of choice.

Back