Herbs and Potions

Winter Wolf

Mongoose
Here after a bit of quick reasearch is a list of many of the herbal and alchemical materials that showed up in the gamebooks. I think that there was some more stuff in War of the Wizards that I may have missed.... but I'm sure you guys will be able to help out.

Heal

Laumspur - You have been walking for over half an hour when your eye is caught by some bright red flowers growing near to a mossy bank. You recognize the plants to be Laumspur, a rare and beautiful herb much prized for its healing properties.

Meal 3 EP
Potion 3-4 EP
Distilled 5 EP
Concentrated 8EP

Druse tree - the clear, sticky resin beneath its bark--the only known cure for the terrible Red Death plague.

Oede herb - beautiful golden leaves. It is a powerful substance that can be used against many deadly diseases or alternatively can be used to restore 10 EP points if swallowed after combat.

Larnuma Oil - The oil is made from the fruit of the larnuma tree. It has a soothing and relaxing effect when rubbed into the skin. Restores 2 EP points per dose.

Taunor water - the healing spa water will restore 6 EP points.

Harm

Graveweed Essence - A strong poison.

Potion of Gallowbrush - induces sleep for 1-2 hours per dose. Has been used to tranqualise horses.

Gnadurn sap - a deadly poison used by assassins because of its lack of flavour or scent. It can also be applied to weapons.

Other

Adgana leaves - One dose is enough to increase your CS by 6 points for the duration of a fight. However, Adgana is shunned by most professional warriors and its use is outlawed in the Lastlands because it is highly addictive. If you decide to take this potion prior to combat, there is a small chance that you could become addicted. As soon as the combat is resolved, you must pick a number from the Random Number Table. If the number you pick is 0 or 1, you have become addicted and your EP score must be reduced by 4 points. This reduction is a permanent loss to your basic EP points score. Should the opportunity to use a further dose of Adgana ever arise, its effect on that occasion will be only half that of the original dose (i.e. it will increase your CS by 3 points instead of 6).

Alether - 'The fruit of our alether plant will give you strength in battle,' says another and offers you a handful of the small orange berries.

Berries 2 CS
Potion 2 CS
Distilled 4 CS

Karmo - This potion, when taken before combat, will double your EP and WP point totals for the duration of the combat. However, the side effects of the Karmo potion can be fatal. After taking the potion you must pick a number from the Random Number Table. The number that you pick equals the number of EP points that you lose due to the side effects (0 = zero).

Sabito - The Blue Pills are made from the dried and crushed roots of the Sabito plant, commonly found in the Boari jungle, but rare in any other part of Magnamund. They enable the human body to extract oxygen from water by absorbing it through the skin, thereby allowing anyone who swallows Sabito root to 'breathe' underwater.

Yabari - When pounded into an ointment and smeared into the skin, its roots are a potent protection against insect bites. It also disguises the human scent.

Tarama Seeds - swallowing 1 seed permits a wizard to use his Wizard's Staff, or Magical Power, without losing any WP points.

Naptha - a volatile, inflammable liquid.

Azawood Leaves - Azawood Leaves a base constituent that will charm magical potions. The bsmoke of the burming leaves also provides protection against evil spirits.

Mustow pods - These strange, fungal growths are renowned for their pungent odour when broken open.

Ezeran acid – and acid that can eat through metal.

Temeris potion – rare potion of teleportation.

Calacena Mushrooms - the spores of these mushrooms may enhance the illusions of those using the power of Enchantment. They grow wild in caves and mines and cause halucinations in anyone coming into contact with the spores.

Baknar oil - Insulates against the cold. Very bad smell which can alert others to your presence

Fireseed - burst into flame on impact.

Tangling vines - the vines that would rapidly grow take shape. Used by Loi Kymar in The Caverns Of Kalte.

Holy water - Causes catastrophic explosions when it comes into contact with unholy objects.

Now the interesting question is how to bring all of these into play in the RPG.

Would Calacena allow the free use of Dessi Mage Enchantment ability. You could introduce some uncertainty into the use of the herb by giving any use 1d6 rounds duration without the user knowing when it will cut out, and due to the effects of the drug the mage would not be able to support the power himself after mushrooms are finished.

I can't wait to see how many of these are covered by the core book, and please add any more that I have missed off of the list.

pretty complete list there Winter Wolf. Considering the Alchemy Elder Art for Magicians of Dessi, I imagine we might have some rules and such in the book. Bringing them into play would be easy, as almost any character type could need one or more during the course of their adventuring career. The fun part would be having a character (Magician of Dessi?) who MAKES these things for his/her party and for resale, possibly combining elements and reagents to form of really potent stuff....
Maybe I should play a Dessi Mage.... :twisted:

All right, now I have found some herbs and potions to add as well. Most of them are from Grey Star 4, "War of the Wizards". (Some of the paragraphs given are only starting points of a description.) Here you go:

• Phinomel Pod: The Phinomel plant, also called "Dragonkiss", grows pods whose acid can be used as ingredient of a mixture that transforms base metals into gold, silver et al. Compare Leafwater for another use. {Reference: paragraph 241}

Leafwater: Some ponds contain a greenish water called Leafwater. This is caused by an extraordinary plant (no further specified). Phinomel Pods thrown into it change the properties of the Leafwater; any weapon dunkeded into it enhances the Combat Skill. (CS +1 per pod; nothing noted about the duration of that bonus, but I'd suppose it's temporary and not permanent.) {Reference: paragraph 355}

Zakutsk Leaf: The leaves of the Zakutsk flower are used as an ingredient of the Potion of Invulnerability (see below). {Reference: paragraph 15}

Demeril Root: The roots of the Demeril bush are another ingredient of the Potion of Invulnerability. {Reference: paragraph 15}

Potion of Invulnerability: This potion can probably only be created through use of Theurgy, a Greater Magick of the Shianti. Whoever drinks it becomes invulnerable for several hours. {Reference: paragraph 15}
As a small addendum to Winter Wolf's comprehensive notes: Calacena and Mustow also come as potions. (Look at paragraph 331.)

And from The Jungle of Horrors (and probably a few other books as well):

• Rendalim's Elixir: Restores 6 Endurance points. {Reference: paragraph 42}

Tincture of Oxydine: Restores 2 Endurance points. Also cures Korovax infection. {Reference: paragraph 156, 42}

There could be more in these two books, this is just what I managed to scare up by browsing. (As I'm planning to play the books in the near future, I didn't want to search them too thoroughly ... :wink:) Should I scare up more, I'll post it as well.

Paido

Acknowledgments 8) : Thanks to Relenoir for his assistance with the English names, as I have only the German edition of War of the Wizards ...

:idea: Found another thing that (at least more or less) belongs here! :D

• Gnallia: A beneficial bacillus that is acclaimed by the healers and herbalists of Durenor. They seem to thrive in clumps on damp tunnels walls, emitting a faint, eerie ochre light. Potions of Gnallia are used to prevent and cure blood infections, and the raw bacteria are edible (though awful-tasting) and rich in protein. A Meal of Gnallia restores 2 Endurance points.
    {References: "The Masters of Darkness", paragraphs 143 and 93}
Paido

Nice work Paido. Once I get a couple of Hours I will start to convert some of the herbs not in the book an post them here.

Then I'd better post my newest (unexpected) discoveries as well, hm?

Here goes:

• Lacaress: Colourful wild flowers that are used throughout Magnamund as an active ingredient of sleeping potions. Their heady scent is extremely potent and can slowly numb the senses of nearby creatures, send a creeping fatigue thourgh their bodies and tempt them to lie down to sleep among the beautiful, blue and pink blooms. The after-effect of such a slumber would be a throbbing headache - but you probably would have to be taken away from the flowers first. (An important side note: The described effect came into effect when Lone Wolf rode into a gorge filled with a sea of flowers, Lacaress and others.)
    {References: "The Dungeons of Torgar", paragraph 18 pp.}

Golta leaves: A pad of Golta leaves used to cover a person's nose and mouth can protect from the intoxicating Lacaress scent. (Though maybe only as long as they are fresh; no specifics are given.)
    {References: "The Dungeons of Torgar", paragraph 214}
Again, I'll keep my eyes open for more! :D

BTW: Already curious to see which herbs are described in the rulebook ... A few days more to wait ... :(

Paido, apparently a Herbwarden wannabe ... :wink:

edit: Another quick note about Calacena - the pink potion Grey Star was given by the Redeemer pilgrim in the Inn of the Laughing Moon was a Calacena potion. And it seems to not only induce hallucinations:

You take out the pink potion that the 'Redeemer' gave you and pull out the stopper of the vial. Sniffing the contents, you recognize the scent of Calacena: a mushroom whose spores induce visions much prized by magicians and illusionists.

--Grey Star the Wizard, paragraph 264
Just for the sake of completeness. :)

Laumwort, a herb very similar to the healing plant, Laumspur. You can regain lost ENDURANCE points by eating the leaves. Each Meal of Laumwort restores 2 ENDURANCE points.

http://www.projectaon.org/xhtml/lw/10tdot/sect276.htm

At once you recognize the black berries contained within the stoppered glass jar. They are Volko berries, found only in the remote uplands of Kakush, and much prized by magicians for their use as catalysts in their magical experiments. The juice of the berries aids or speeds up magical reactions between substances, while remaining unchanged itself.

http://www.projectaon.org/xhtml/lw/13tplor/sect58.htm

Laumspur (Enough for 5 doses) Restores 4 ENDURANCE points when swallowed after combat.
Alether (Enough for 4 doses) Increases COMBAT SKILL by 2 points for duration of one fight only.
Gallowbrush (Enough for 2 doses) Induces 10 hours' sleep and loss of 2 ENDURANCE points per dose.
Sabito (Enough for 2 doses) Enables user to breathe underwater.
Laumwort (Enough for 3 doses) Restores 2 ENDURANCE points if swallowed before or after combat.
Oede (Enough for 1 dose) Very rare and valuable. Many healing properties. Cures serious diseases.

Since you 'take down half a dozen jars' and there are exactly six types of herbs in the list, it may safely be assumed that one jar contains all of a given herb or potion. (e.g. one jar contains all five doses of Laumspur) If each jar is one Backpack Item, then the Cener have created some extremely concentrated potions which take up very little space.

http://www.projectaon.org/xhtml/lw/13tplor/sect234.htm

Ok, I have tried figuring some stats for the herbs not already mentioned in the rules.
One note about the price: I find some of the prices for potions listed in the rules to be outrageous. So, I cut them down in my campaign. You may wish to raise some of the prices I listed below. (well, I take for granted that prices vary according to the distance from the source where a certain substance is common...).

Item Cost Weight Type of Item

Oede herb 500 gc - -
Beautiful golden leaves. It is a powerful substance that can be used against many deadly diseases or alternatively can be used to restore up to 50 Endurance if swallowed after combat.

Larnuma Oil 30 gc - Backpack
The oil is made from the fruit of the larnuma tree. It has a soothing and relaxing effect when rubbed into the skin, restoring 1d6 Endurance per dose.

Adgana leaves 50 gc each (may vary up to 300 gc each where illegal) - -
One dose is enough to increase your attack and damage rolls by +4 for the duration of a fight. However, Adgana is shunned by most professional warriors and its use is outlawed in the Lastlands because it is highly addictive. If you decide to take this potion prior to combat, there is a 20% chance that you could become addicted. Every time you take another dose, this chance increases by 10%.
Addiction to Adgana is very muck like an illness: you will feel an irresistible desire to have another dose of Adgana at least once a week. From now on, the benefits of Adgana doses you take are halved, and if you can't have it when you "need" it, you must make a Fortitude save (DC 18 ) or suffer 1d6 damage (these points cannot be healed until the Addiction has been fought off, or another dose of Adgana has been consumed) and become Shaken. Each save roll after the first suffers a cumulative -2 penalty, and four successful save rolls are required to effectively fight off the Addiction. Even if you recover from Addiction, you still feel a strong desire for Adgana and if you happen to get a chance to have a dose, you must make a Will save (DC 20, -1 per year after you have recovered, but never less than DC 15) or do anything you can to have it. Should you take another dose, its effects will still be halved, and you will fall back into Addiction (no roll required).

Potion of Karmo 150 gc - -
This potion, when taken before combat, will give you 1d10 temporary Endurance and Willpower points for the duration of the combat. However, the side effects of the Karmo potion can be fatal. After its effect has faded, you take 1d10 damage.

Sabito 100 gc - -
The Blue Pills are made from the dried and crushed roots of the Sabito plant, commonly found in the Boari jungle, but rare in any other part of Magnamund. They enable the human body to extract oxygen from water by absorbing it through the skin, thereby allowing anyone who swallows Sabito root to 'breathe' underwater for 1d4 hours.

Yabari 50 gc - -
When pounded into an ointment and smeared into the skin, its roots are a potent protection against insect bites. It also disguises the human scent. The Yabari ointment's effects last 1d4+5 hours (or until washed off).

Tarama Seeds 50 gc each - -
Swallowing 1 seed permits a wizard to use his Wizard's Staff, Psychic Action, or Magical Power, spending up to 5 less Willpower. This effect lasts for one use only - if, for instance, it is used before an attack with the Wizard's Staff in which 3 Willpower is spent, the attack costs no Willpower and the remaining 2 points that the Seed could have saved are "wasted". Tarama Seeds however do not allow the use of powers after the Willpower score has been reduced to 0 or less.

Azawood Leaves 30 gc each - -
Azawood Leaves a base constituent that will charm magical potions. The smoke of the burming leaves also provides protection against evil spirits: no such evil being can get near to the smoke for 1d6+4 hours.

Ezeran Acid (flask) 75 gc 1 lb. Backpack
The acid obtained from Ezeran crystals is very effective, especially at melting metal. A flask deals 2d6 damage to creatures directly hit, or it can quickly melt any non-magical metal object (magical objects take 1d10 damage and get a save roll to halve it).

Calacena Mushrooms 25 gc - -
These mushrooms grow wild in caves and mines and cause halucinations in anyone coming into contact with the spores, unless they make a Fortitude save (DC 15). The spores may be used to enhance illusions: they add 5 to the DC of all saves against illusions made by those who have inhaled them. The spores spread by a character remain in the air for 1 minute (while in their natural environment, with lots of mushrooms, the air is filled much more thoroughly), and their effects last 2d10 minutes.

Baknar oil 50 gc - Backpack
Insulates against the cold, granting a character who smears it over his body immunity from nonlethal damage caused by cold, and 5 points of resistance to lethal damage. A dose of Baknar oil lasts for 24 hours. Baknar oil has a very bad smell, which can alert others to your presence, and takes a very good and long bath, or a few weeks, to wear off.

Fireseed - I used the stats for the Bang stick, but with the Fireseed you won't risk it exploding if your equipment is hit.

Volko berries 100 gc each - -
Found only in the remote uplands of Kakush, these black berries and much prized by magicians for their use as catalysts in their magical experiments. The juice of the berries aids or speeds up magical reactions between substances, while remaining unchanged itself. Any potion brewed using Volko berries doubles its normal effects and takes half time to complete.

As for the Tangling vines, I'd say Loi Kymar used some sort of magical Alchemy to produce them - or, maybe, a new Brotherhood Spell?

Nice work. :)

The only thing that I would be inclined to change is the cost for Oede I think this would be really expensive. In Shadow On The Sand Lone Wolf had to break into the Zakhans palace to find some and there were only two doses. I think that this is his only opportunity to pick up this herb in the whole series. I would put the cost much higher, say 5000 gc.

Just my two pennies.

As I was uploading this on my webpage, I noticed I'd forgotten this:

Senara Flowers 50 gc a sack - -
Senara bushes have delicate white flowers with interesting magical properties. If you drink some tea made with these flowers, it doubles the Willpower you recover this night. In addition, it has a pleasantly soothing effect, and it is said that Senara tea can keep nightmares away.

Back