Help with a new fleet (Centari)

Rhyno

Mongoose
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here :wink:
With the recent news from Mongoose about the ACTA minatures, I decided to splash out on a new fleet (Like most people it seems :p)
With a large EA (all era's) fleet i fancied trying out Centari with 5pt Battle & 5pt War sized games in mind.

These are the ships i've purchased so far:
Octurion
2x Primus
Liati
Corvan
Balvarin
12 Vorchan/Demos (FA scale)
And enough fighters for all the ships (so thats 16 sentri flights and 2 Rutarians)

I'm hoping that some experienced Centari players could give me some advice on what further ships i could add - mainly raid choices
(i can see now i'll need to get myself some Maximus's too :p)

Well, Elutarians and Sulusts are good for some long range firepower (them and the Adira is about all the long range stuff we get). Centurions are good against fleets lacking interceptors, but then you could say that about the whole Centauri fleet.

Darkners or Morgraths are great against fleets with a lot of interceptors, thanks to BEAMS :twisted: of course the range on the Morgrath beam kinda sucks, but it is DD to make up for it 8)

To update my list of Centari models i've brought:

Octurion
2x Primus
Secondus
Liati
Dargan
Balvarian
2x Sulust
2x Centurion (FA scale)
2x Alutarian/Elutarians
2x Corvan
12x Vorchan/Demos (FA scale)
2x Maximus
4x Kuati (FA scale)

16 flights of Sentri's
4 flights of Rutarians
4 Breaching Pods

I can see myself purchasing 4-8 Haven patrol boats to round out the fleet.

Is there anything i seem to be missing? (I'm not a fan of the Morgath & Darkner miniatures)

Only things you need are an Adira (I'd use Urobach's Valerius as a proxy), some Morgraths and Darkners for skirmish options (some beams there for low-level games) and some Rutarian fighters. These are, simply, your premier multi-role fighter, it does everything the Sentri does better and some things the Sentri can't do. Grab some Raziks as well for taking on fighter-heavy fleets, it's one of the best dogfighters in the game.

Apart from duplicates like another Balvarin and Dargan, you're pretty much set. Take my people back to the stars!

Smegish said:
Centurions are good against fleets lacking interceptors, but then you could say that about the whole Centauri fleet.

I think the centurion is underrated. It has a good amount of damage for a raid ship, and good manouverablity and speed. And 16 attack dice in the forward arc, all of which is double damage, half of it is at least armour piercing, and half is twin linked.(if you pull off a concentrate all fire sa it all becomes twinlinked.) I use them a lot. Have one or two backing up an attack group of vorchan for a good one/two punch.

I find it a handy ship to have around when facing a fleet with interceptors. Because of their manuoverablity they can easily bring their weapons to bare on a ship that you are concentrating on. And the amount of dice in the front arc strips away interceptor pretty fast.

Greetings fellow Centauri,

So you want advice from experienced centauri players eh? Seems to me that you already have a well rounded fleet. My advice, owning a 35 points @ battle fleet of centauri, is as follows:

I wouldn't bother with an adira unless you specifically want the model, the number of occasions you'll actually use it, unless you start playing more than 5 points war I'd say are slim. I base this purely on two years worth of gaming experience with my centauri, countless games, and countless victories.

For what its worth, I'd advise on at least 1 more Liati, and if you can stretch it take 3. 2 Liati squadroned are enough to rip the lungs out of almost any enemy ship, and against lesser priority vessels, they are devastating. You may also find another dargan useful; I have 3. I know you said you wanted help with more raid choices.

Havens. Up until recently I had 8 but didn't use them, then I played a game against minbari and took a swarm of 8, while I lost the game the havens were excellent. I promptly bought 12 FA scale havens; my acta scale are still up for a buyer. My point is, after that plug, is that use them to swarm all over an opponent. A good choice me thinks.

Its a shame you don't like morgrath models, because as a ship I think they are very underrated, 2 or 3 in a squadron is very nasty.

In terms of raid choices, I think you have all that you need in terms of ship types, I'd just consider more of them. I have 3 elutarian, I'm still considering getting a fourth, just for the torps. I have 5 sullust, I'd recommend having at least 3. You ask "why so many" I think it just gives you the scope to field a consistent fleet; in good sized squadrons. Having said that, from what I can see matey, there doesn't seem anything to me that your fleet particularly NEEDS as such. I suppose really its more a matter of personal taste. Have a couple of games of with your fleet, quickly, and see what works for you and what doesn't. What you really like, you may be tempted to have more of.

Oh and Dave? They are MY people!

:D

I bought the following ships(and totally love em :lol: ):

2 Dargan
2 Elutarians
1 Balvarian
3 Darkners
2 Maximus
2 Kutai

That makes a total of 5 battle points, so not so much variation there, but u do what u can with the money u have :D

But as stated I really like that fleet, it got speed(as I grown custom to it with my Dilgars), forward firepower to give away, and some of the most beautiful ships when fielded in the same fleet (talking about Darkners and Dargans).

As the mighty(?) men of the Centauri houses would say, I am daft not to play demos/vorchans...to them I say, I created my own little Centauri/Dilgar Imperium at the Rim :wink:

Ahh you can be Emperor, I'll settle for Lord of one of the top Noble Houses and Prime Minister, therefore being in control of the Centaurum and having a foot in the royal court. I'll have the power where it really lies; we can just wheel you out at events for support.

:D

The only thing I would suggest is at least 1 more balavin carrier and 2 more Maximus, only to round out the fleet.

THe maximus is brutal beast in low priority games and is vital agaisnt fighter heavy fleets.

Yeah, well I want to be one of the heads in the secret room that talk to your emperor and give him bad advice that he will always take...

emperorpenguin said:
Taran said:
Yeah, well I want to be one of the heads in the secret room that talk to your emperor and give him bad advice that he will always take...

you wish to be decapitated!? :shock:
Or perhaps he already is a talking head (Futurama style).

U can bicker all you want, couse while u are at it I will build a new and glorious Centauri(painted as Cylons ;) Imperium, together with a lost tribe of Dilgars :twisted:

...heh, even in "real life" the Centauri argue and fight with each other :D

Back