Help me kill Conan!

I want to make sure that the PC's don't just sit around waiting for him to come back, or go off on a fruitless search for him, though.
They should be the new heroes, not just small guys standing in the big mans shadow.

So have the PCs kill him. You might have to rig it so they have a chance to drop a big rock on him or stand back and pincushion him with arrows as per Boromir's death if there's too much of a level difference between him and them, but if they're fairly close in level just do something like the Phoenix On The Sword setup - PCs will usually be more effective as a group than the conspirators were.

Having thought about it a bit more I really, really like the idea of Conan falling to the picts (and Gorm in particular). It feels kind of symbolic in view of Howards barbarism vs. civilization theme to have Conan in the end loose out against a younger, stronger and faster barbarian (I realize now this is what Strom was getting at earlier):
* A barbarian walks into the civilised lands, strangles a king who is civilised and weak, and takes his throne.
* Now king, the barbarian rules well for many years, but in the end starts to get accustomed to the civilized ways.
* A younger barbarian enters the scene and toasts his ass.

I think I might set up a scene early in the campaign where the PC's meet a crazy missionary - Arus - who is just setting out into the pictish wilderness to bring the teachings of Mitra to the picts. Later on they could then discover that it was he who awakened Gorms lust for the civilised lands.

JohnLokiBeard said:
So have the PCs kill him. You might have to rig it so they have a chance to drop a big rock on him or stand back and pincushion him with arrows as per Boromir's death if there's too much of a level difference between him and them, but if they're fairly close in level just do something like the Phoenix On The Sword setup - PCs will usually be more effective as a group than the conspirators were.
That might be fun, but it seems much harder to set up (without leading the players along heavily). You could set it up so that they really hate Conan easily enough, for sure, but the decision to kill him they would have to make themselves. Easier to have him killed by someone else, and then leave it to the players to decide what to do next.

Personally, I'd recommend reading Terry Pratchett's "Interesting Times" and "The Last Hero" for good ideas about how to deal with king Conan. Both are about one of his reoccuring characters Cohen the Barbarian, an 86 year old barbarian who's gotten so practiced at being a hero that he literally can't be beaten. Interesting times gives a good idea of how to remove him from the throne of a kingdom (boredom, eventually wanderlust will win out) and Last Hero gives a very good example of a final quest: Cohen goes to the seat of the gods to challenge them. As is appropriate he ends up going against Fate (the entity) and wins by, how else, cheating.

Mind you having Conan die in his sleep as an old man is perfectly acceptable, it adds an ironic closure to a violent life, just like Stalin.

Two years ago, I wrote a tale showing the last 23 years of Conan's life, in Mayapan. If you understand Brazilian Portuguese, what do you think of reading "A Última Trilogia" ("The Last Trilogy")? The tale's adress is http://cronicasdacimeria.blogspot.com/2006/05/ltima-trilogia.html

Fernando, dude! You are killing me with all that Conan info I can't undeerstand because it's in another language.

It's like having a case of Heinekens and no bottle opener!
I think you need to translate the stuff for us, please.
Heck, you have to now and you know we wont give you a hard time if the translation doesn't come out just perfect.

Please!

Thank you, Thulsa! :D

I always need a dictionary to post messages here - even when they has few words. :oops: It would be a very hard work to translate a tale with that size. I believe that maybe Axerules knows, Spectator. He always calls me of "brasileiro" ("Brazilian") and he uses other few words that seem to show he knows Brazilian Portuguese enough to translate that tale. I'm not sure, but I hope he - and, of course, the site Thulsa mentioned - can help you.

Besides, I'm very occupied (I've just used a dictionary to know how is written "ocupado" in English...) translating Howard's tales for Brazilians fans and posting them in the site where I posted "The Last Trilogy". I finished "The Cairn on the Headland", and now I'm hard-working (dictionary again for find this last word) on "The Black Stranger". Do you believe that here in Brasil, it just came the comic version of the distortion done by DeCamp ("The Treasure of Tranicos")? :x

Anyhow, thank you for you attention. :D

Hey Fernando,
your english is only going to get better with time.
Dictionaries can be painfully slow, but your last post was picture perfect in spelling, syntax, and grammar.

You can do it man!

Well, keep having fun in Brasil, you lucky dog!

If you want to kill Conan. . . there is a book you MUST read.

"Legend" by David Gemmell (Formerly published as Against the Horde).

It is about the final battle of a character that is like Conan in many ways. The whole book leads up to his death scene and it is VERY satisfying (and not to mention the first in a series of outstanding novels. . . just don't get attached to the main characters in each! LOL!!)

That book is probably the best example written of how to kill an invincible hero the "right way."

Hello !
Fernando said:
I believe that maybe Axerules knows, Spectator. He always calls me of "brasileiro" ("Brazilian") and he uses other few words that seem to show he knows Brazilian Portuguese enough to translate that tale. I'm not sure, but I hope he - and, of course, the site Thulsa mentioned - can help you.
Sorry guys, I can't help. :( I read, speak and write French, English and German. I have only smatterings of other tongues: I understand (and speak a little bit of) Portuguese, but not enough to translate this story. I have a hard time to read it myself without a dictionary, I haven't finished it yet and I'm not sure to understand everything.

Besides, I'm very occupied (I've just used a dictionary to know how is written "ocupado" in English...) translating Howard's tales for Brazilians fans and posting them in the site where I posted "The Last Trilogy". I finished "The Cairn on the Headland", and now I'm hard-working (dictionary again for find this last word) on "The Black Stranger". Do you believe that here in Brasil, it just came the comic version of the distortion done by DeCamp ("The Treasure of Tranicos")? :x
Your dedication to expand REH-fandom is great. :D

Spectator said:
Hey Fernando,
your english is only going to get better with time.
Dictionaries can be painfully slow, but your last post was picture perfect in spelling, syntax, and grammar.

You can do it man!

Well, keep having fun in Brasil, you lucky dog!

Thank you for your praise on my english :D , but I did what Thulsa had suggested you, and that site's translation is better than others "on-line" ones I've seen. Of course it has some mistakes, like "Senhor da Noite" appears as "Mr. Night" - the correct would be "Lord of Night" or "Lord of the Night"; the word "seios" (woman's breasts) isn't translated, among other errors.

I'd like to know what do you think of the following: you put my tale in the site http://babelfish.altavista.com - as Thulsa suggested - and, whatever doubt you have, you contact me. :wink:

Atenciously:

Fernando.

P.S.: Thank you too, Axerules ("Your dedication to expand REH-fandom is great")! :D

don't think Nemedia would invade because it would probably unite all the Aquilonian nobles against its armies

Except that is exactly what they did when Conan was thought to be killed in Hour of The Dragon. I recommend you read the REH novel, as it seems to encompass many of the plot dynamics you want to pursue.

And I must ask, does Conan absolutely HAVE to be killed to accomplish your themes? Could he not be presumed dead and merely absent for months or years? I worry that killing off the title character may lead to some anti-climactic situations at the end of your campaign, or perhaps in future endevours. Think how dramatic it would be if Conan rose again at the last moment either to join with the PCs in vengance against his enemies, or to thwart the PCs if they are the ones responsibile for his supposed demise.

Ha, my old "Kill Conan thread" is alive! :D

This game I was planning never took off. In fact, I haven't played much Conan in the last six months except for a couple of one-shots (sorry guys, but I've been having this affair on the side with WFRP... I'm a cheating bastard, I know, but WFRP is just so damn... sexy!).

With 2nd edition coming out, I'm going to have to start up a Conan game in the near future, though, and setting it in Aquilonia/Pictland is probably my number one choice. And I still want to kill Conan!

Sarov the Swift said:
And I must ask, does Conan absolutely HAVE to be killed to accomplish your themes? Could he not be presumed dead and merely absent for months or years? I worry that killing off the title character may lead to some anti-climactic situations at the end of your campaign, or perhaps in future endevours. Think how dramatic it would be if Conan rose again at the last moment either to join with the PCs in vengance against his enemies, or to thwart the PCs if they are the ones responsibile for his supposed demise.
No, I guess he wouldn't necessarily have to die... But I (and my players) wouldn't really miss him if he did either. I think Conan is a cool character and all, but he is not an integral part of the Hyborian Age for me. I could easily set a game in the Hyborian Age either before Conan's time or after his demise, and I wouldn't miss him in the least.

And I really want my games to be about the PCs, so I'd be wary of bringing a character like Conan back at the end to "help them out" (that could be truly anti-climactic - although a fight to the death between Conan and the PCs could be a fun way to end things off I guess...).

Sarov the Swift said:
And I must ask, does Conan absolutely HAVE to be killed to accomplish your themes? Could he not be presumed dead and merely absent for months or years? I worry that killing off the title character may lead to some anti-climactic situations at the end of your campaign
Anti-climactic for whom? The PC's or the GM?

I usually define anti-climactic as having a GMPC step in at the last minute, solve all the problems and take all the glory. It may be the Conan RPG but, within the contex of any given campaign it is the players who are the "title characters".

I most often avoid this issue by setting my games a few hundred years before or after the life of Conan :wink: But starting a game by killing King Conan is a great idea too, nobody ever claimed that the man lived forever!

Later.

As for climatic ends with the possibility of future appearances, I always like the concept of an old Conan getting abducted by air elementals (like his wife) or the DeCamp version of sailing into the west never to be seen again.
What's wrong with that?

Spectator said:
(...) or the DeCamp version of sailing into the west never to be seen again.
What's wrong with that?

Conan is an elf ? :lol:
Hum, interesting twist to Middle Earth !

You can also imagine Conan getting corrupted somehow and your PCs needing to stop him without killing him (since of course you will hint he can be saved - but may be it's not true... :p ).

W.

From a letter sent by Two-Gun Bob to P. Schuyler Miller, March 10, 1936:
REH said:
As for Conan's eventual fate - frankly I can't predict it. In writing these yarns I've always felt less as creating them than as if I were simply chronicling his adventures as he told them to me. That's why they skip about so much, without following a regular order. The average adventurer, telling tales of a wild life at random, seldom follows any ordered plan, but narrates episodes widely separated by space and years, as they occur to him. (...)
Conan was about forty when he seized the crown of Aquilonia, and was about forty-four or forty-five at the time of "The Hour of the Dragon." He had no male heir at that time, because he had never bothered to formally make some woman his queen, and the sons of concubines, of which he had a goodly number, were not recognized as heirs to the throne.

He was, I think, king of Aquilonia for many years, in a turbulent and unquiet reign, when the Hyborian civilization had reached its most magnificent high-tide, and every king had imperial ambitions. At first he fought on the defensive, but I am of the opinion that at last he was forced into wars of aggression as a matter of self-preservation. Whether he succeeded in conquering a world-wide empire, or perished in the attempt, I do not know.

He travelled widely, not only before his kingship, but after he was king. He travelled to Khitai and Hyrkania, and to the even less known regions north of the latter and south of the former. He even visited a nameless continent in the western hemisphere, and roamed among the islands adjacent to it. How much of this roaming will get into print, I cannot foretell with any accuracy.
You can find the whole letter here : The Barbarian Keep.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link Axerules.
I think my favorite fate for Conan is the one suggested on the first page of this thread - that he's killed by a younger, stronger barbarian. It just feels very appropriate and "Howardian".

The King said:
Yes and I am still waiting for my seven-layer cake. :p
And I'm still working on it. It's a BIG cake. :)

argo said:
Sarov the Swift said:
And I must ask, does Conan absolutely HAVE to be killed to accomplish your themes? Could he not be presumed dead and merely absent for months or years? I worry that killing off the title character may lead to some anti-climactic situations at the end of your campaign
Anti-climactic for whom? The PC's or the GM?

I usually define anti-climactic as having a GMPC step in at the last minute, solve all the problems and take all the glory. It may be the Conan RPG but, within the contex of any given campaign it is the players who are the "title characters".

I most often avoid this issue by setting my games a few hundred years before or after the life of Conan :wink: But starting a game by killing King Conan is a great idea too, nobody ever claimed that the man lived forever!

Later.

Let me clarify; I'm not saying that Conan should step in as a problem-solver, or that the PCs should play second fiddle to his story arc; Only that Conan could be a good foil to set up future campaigns, either as an ally or enemy. This gives the potential for the PCs to react to him in a number of ways during his rise to power. Or he could be ignored altogether. It leaves the doorway open.

As far as my "anti-climactic" arguement goes, I that I feel that Conan's role in the Hyborian age is pretty integral to the political development of the various nations he visits during his life. Remove that, and you remove the impetus for much of the source material- such as the boiling tensions between Aquilonia and Nemedia, the balance of which is tipped by his disappearance. Or the strengthening of Khoroja against Koth, which would have been overrun if not for Conan's service to the queen.

As a huge fan of Conan, and a devotee of the REH legacy, it's hard for me to imagine a game world without some contact with Conan- even if it is incidental. I tend to try to be somewhat faithful to the source material, but even so, I stray from the REH doctrine as well. For instance, I interpret the Picts differently, and I borrow some thematic elements from the movies. In the end, I don't dispute a GM's right to shape his campaign as he see fits.

As an aside to this discussion, in my introductory campaign my PCs get a glimpse of Conan as a young boy being led off in a slave caravan. He has nothing to do with the immediate plot, but it gives me an opportunity to foreshadow a bit and introduce him as a possible NPC in later years.

Back