Help a noob DM

DasClay

Mongoose
I need help with this, im using the regular conan edition.
Questions

How many feats does a first lvl pc start off with?

twf is -4 /-4 if you have the feat. if i read that correct?

how come in road of kings zingarians get a fincing feat, but no other races get a feat. and this stacks with all the other weapon feats they get?

Do I just need to go get a new PHB for Conan, the new edition?

what the hell in in MU ? can anyone tell me? other than a cow joke? (seriously)
Thank you most kind players and DMs, may your dice always roll high

DasClay said:
How many feats does a first lvl pc start off with?

One. But they may also get feats or abilities from their class, and if their chosen class is also their preferred racial class, they get a bonus feat.

twf is -4 /-4 if you have the feat. if i read that correct?

-4/-4 if you're using two full sized weapons (two battleaxes, for instance). No penalty at all if one or both weapons are light weapons (a broadsword and poinarde).

Note that many classes give you TWF for free.

how come in road of kings zingarians get a fincing feat, but no other races get a feat. and this stacks with all the other weapon feats they get?

Uhhh... I don't know.

Do I just need to go get a new PHB for Conan, the new edition?

No.

what the hell in in MU ? can anyone tell me? other than a cow joke? (seriously)

I think it's a Lovecraftian term for Antarctica, but I'm not sure. It's a mysterious land, fill it with what you want. I suggest puffins.

AFAIR, Mu is some kind of mythic land, like Lemuria and Atlantis. It doesn't seem to be Lovecraftian, as I recall reading about it in a regular newspaper.

whoa, total missed the "and if their chosen class is also their preferred racial class, they get a bonus feat." - sbarrie

so if a PC pics a class that is there perfred racal class, they get a bouns feat. well ill be....

Im gonna read the book again, and see what else i missed... any other good DM/ RP tips anyone can give me. cause its so dirverse I dont really know where to start my group out at ( right now there in kordava)

Thanks evil schemer, but I posted that, when I purchased the books.

I only have RoK and the Conan book... what can I say im broke right now?

You should also check out the book "Lost Continents" by L. Sprague DeCamp. It's a very nice scholarly and mostly cynical look at the history lost continents, the beliefs associated with them, and their proponents.

OK, couldn't get the quotes to work but Evil said:
"One of the things we missed is the bonus skill points in the skill section. Characters get bonuses to their class skills."

Are you saying these are BONUS skill points? As I read it they are part of the normal allotment of skill points that may be spent on any skill as a class skill (i.e. 1:1).

We are talking about the skill points from INT right?

No what he meant was that Class Skill points (those gained via Class Level) must be spent on CLass Skills to get the 1:1 exchange, otherwise you're spending 2:1 on Cross Class Skills.

The skill points you get for your Intelligence are referred to as "Bonus" and arent' restricted in that way.

That much I get too. What I don't get is the math on page 80 regarding "1st level Conan's" skill points. It says he gains 16 from Class and 12 due to high INT (3x4=12), presumably because they say he has a 16INT. I'm with them there, but I don't get the 16 from Class Barbarian.

Wierd.

Well, the equation is written: (4+INT)x4

Normally one would work the parenthetical portion first, then multiply.

(4 + INT +3) x 4
(7) x 4 = 28

I'd never considered working it separately, but it seem glaringly obvious now. :oops:

Sutek said:
No what he meant was that Class Skill points (those gained via Class Level) must be spent on CLass Skills to get the 1:1 exchange, otherwise you're spending 2:1 on Cross Class Skills.

No, I'm referring to page 85:

"C - Class skill, and you gain 2 ranks in this skill at 1st level, then 1/2 a rank in this skill each level thereafter, always before spending any of your own skill points."

So, a 5th level Cimmerian Barbarian with a 16 Intelligence gets:

1st level

Free Background Skills: Climb +2, Move Silently +2, Survival +2, all for free.

Free Class Skills: Bluff +2, Climb +2, Craft (herbalism) +2, Craft (any mundane) +2, Handle Animal +2, Hide +2, Intimidate +2, Jump +2, Listen +2, Move Silently +2, Perform +2, Profession +2, Ride +2, Spot +2, Survival +2, Swim +2.

(4 + 3) x 4 = 28 skill points to spend where he wants, so long as his class skills ranks don't exceed 4 each and cross-class don't exceed 2 each.

2nd level
4 + 3 = 7 additional skill points to spend where he wants, so long as his class skills ranks don't exceed 5 each and cross-class don't exceed 2.5 (2) each.

3rd level
Free Class Skills: Bluff +1, Climb +1, Craft (herbalism) +1, Craft (any mundane) +1, Handle Animal +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Listen +1, Move Silently +1, Perform +1, Profession +1, Ride +1, Spot +1, Survival +1, Swim +1.

4 + 3 = 7 additional skill pointsto spend where he wants, so long as his class skills ranks don't exceed 6 each and cross-class don't exceed 3 each.

4th level
4 + 3 = 7 additional skill points to spend where he wants, so long as his class skills ranks don't exceed 7 each and cross-class don't exceed 3.5 (3) each.

5th level
Free Class Skills: Bluff +1, Climb +1, Craft (herbalism) +1, Craft (any mundane) +1, Handle Animal +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Listen +1, Move Silently +1, Perform +1, Profession +1, Ride +1, Spot +1, Survival +1, Swim +1.

4 + 3 = 7 additional skill pointsto spend where he wants, so long as his class skills ranks don't exceed 8 each and cross-class don't exceed 4 each.

Total
Bluff +4, Climb +6, Craft (herbalism) +4, Craft (any mundane) +4, Handle Animal +4, Hide +4, Intimidate +4, Jump +4, Listen +4, Move Silently +6, Perform +4, Profession +4, Ride +4, Spot +4, Survival +6, Swim +4.

Plus an additional 56 skill points to spend where he wants, so long as his class skills don't exceed 8 each (that's an additional 2 to 4 skill points per class skill to max) and cross-class skills don't exceed 4 each.

"C - Class skill, and you gain 2 ranks in this skill at 1st level, then 1/2 a rank in this skill each level thereafter, always before spending any of your own skill points."

At first I was irritated by this statement too. But I read somewhere that it is only valid for solo adventures or some other circumstance. Whatever, in the AE this statement was erased from the "Skills by Class" table.

Feuerbart

Oh, we liked it. It freed up the skill points for less used skills like Use Rope or Knowledge: Arcana and the like. The players were very happy and it made for more versatile characters.

Back