Hello MRQ forum! So...

hey everyone: after lurking for a bit, I drifted over from RPG.net.

Just wanted to say I am really enjoying the new RQ (RQ 2 was before my time, but I got into RQ 3 pretty heavily with the RQ renaissance of the early nineties...River of Cradles, Sun County, Dorastor, et.al...).

Now that the clarification pdf has been made available, is the sole remaining big issue the 'halving' rule for skills over 100%? I ask because it occurs to that a situation wherein this is going to be a problem in actual play is going to be a loooooong time in coming. :D

For comparisons' sake (please forgive me for what I'm about to do) we have rarely ever gotten to the point in a D&D campaign where the characters were above tenth level.

I think the max skill levels we were hitting in our River of Cradles campaign were somewhere around 60-70%.

Unfortunately I have run one or two campaigns where the characters are very tough. Its hard to say to a player, "sorry, your character is too powerful for these rules, start again"I am coming to the end of a very long (several years of regular play) where the 3 characters are all way over 100% in many skills. Also one or two spells can affect skills so the 100% issue will ned to be fixed.

Skilll having and the whole opposed check system are still the biggest problems. THere are others, but those those are the "killer" problems so they are sort of getting most of the attention.

BTW,expect to see those 100% numbers a lot sooner than you think. With the new character creation rules, it is possible for PCs to star with skills in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s!. That will get them well on the way to 100% before play begins.

Jimmy Invictus said:
Now that the clarification pdf has been made available, is the sole remaining big issue the 'halving' rule for skills over 100%? I ask because it occurs to that a situation wherein this is going to be a problem in actual play is going to be a loooooong time in coming. :D

You'll hit it pretty quickly. Skill boostign magic such as Bladesharp are likely to be common, and there's one Rune Magic spell that boosts any one skill test by 10% per point of the spell! Also check things like the rules for taking loner on a task to get a bonus, you can quite easily get +40% or more to picking that lock or sniping that enemy with a missile weapon by taking some time over it.

Simon Hibbs

atgxtg -

Would you mind posting a quick summary of some of the other problems here ?

Jimmy Invictus is probably going to be the guy running me and a couple of other players through a Glorantha guide soon, and I'd like us to be able to figure out how we are going to handle the tricky aspects of the system after the PDF clarifications have been implemented.

I was figuring up last night that a starting character with 'better than average' skills who took a background and profession which provided decent skill bonuses to certain skills, and who then placed the maximum allotted 30% of his free skill points into a skill - could start in the 80% or so range.

That said, how long to you see it taking for that character to go from 80% to over 100% ?

Melkor said:
atgxtg -

Would you mind posting a quick summary of some of the other problems here ?

Here are the things that might affect a starting party. I'm focusing on the things that will cause mechanics problems, as opposed to the things that several of us don't like.

1)The big problems are skill halving and opposed resultion. So far the numbers aren't working out quite right.

2) The combat matrix doesn't quite fix with the pdf resoultion. You will never see certain results (unless the defensder is suicidal)

3) Remeber it is one roll instead of two.

4) Dragonewt rune without dragonnewt stats. I'd suggest removing that Rune from your starting campaign.

Melkor said:
I was figuring up last night that a starting character with 'better than average' skills who took a background and profession which provided decent skill bonuses to certain skills, and who then placed the maximum allotted 30% of his free skill points into a skill - could start in the 80% or so range.

That said, how long to you see it taking for that character to go from 80% to over 100% ?

Well, is you assign 1 of your improvement rolls towards a skill at 80% and make it you go up 1d4+1, else 1%. So you are looking at a minimum of say 4 game sessions, and a maximum of 20, probably around 15 sessions for an average figure. SO roughly 4 months on average. If someone has a hot hand though, look out.

Somewith who starts of at 90% (possible for some skills and characters) it will be a bit faster, about haldf the time.

The good news is that I suspect that within a month or so we will probably have some sort of alternative for the die resultion.

Then we can focus on the things that work, but probably need tweaking (like doubleing the movement rate, and making Speedart useful again).

Back