Healing

Trodax

Mongoose
I have a couple of questions concerning natural healing in Conan.

1) It says that a character recovers 3+lvl+Con HP per day of rest and double this per day of full rest in bed. So what does this mean? Do you recover nothing if you're for example travelling during the day and just stop to rest for the night? The "per day of rest in bed"-thing I understand, but what is then the definition of "normal" rest?

2) Are both these natural rates of recovery doubled by a successful Heal check?

The Conan core book doesn't seem to explain this in detail, so this is simply my interpretation of this.

1) I checked the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook, and here the definition of rest is 8 hours of sleep without significant interruptions (combat or the like). So you would probably qualify for this type of healing most of the time, unless you're ambushed while sleeping. With the Carouser feat you could party 8 hours instead of sleeping and still heal. And the Sleep Mastery feat allows you to heal with only 6 hours of sleep. Complete bed rest seems to be 24 hours in a real bed.

2) Rest healing is doubled by a successful heal check in D&D 3.5, so I assume it is doubled in Conan as well. Complete bed rest is also doubled, although I'm not sure if that means 12 + 4/level + quadruple Con modifier, or 12 + 4/level + triple Con modifier. Not sure how the rule of multiplying works in this case.

Turim said:
2) Rest healing is doubled by a successful heal check in D&D 3.5, so I assume it is doubled in Conan as well. Complete bed rest is also doubled, although I'm not sure if that means 12 + 4/level + quadruple Con modifier, or 12 + 4/level + triple Con modifier. Not sure how the rule of multiplying works in this case.

Don't forget that doubling a double in D20 usually adds to only tripling not quadrupling so for your guy getting complete bed rest and heal check I would probably go with 9+3/level+triple Con bonus.

Aaron

Yes, but complete bed rest (without a successful heal check) doesn't really heal double the amount that rest does. It specifically says that complete bed rest heals 6 + double Con + 2/level, and therefore the 6 and 2/level should be doubled normally, in my opinion.

Turim said:
Yes, but complete bed rest (without a successful heal check) doesn't really heal double the amount that rest does. It specifically says that complete bed rest heals 6 + double Con + 2/level, and therefore the 6 and 2/level should be doubled normally, in my opinion.

You caught me...I didn't have the book on me when I posted and just went from your post which mentioned alot of doublesing which confused me! yes I think you are right 12 + 4/level plus triple(a double double :D ) CON.. But then from a purely mathematical view it could be 4 times CON.. AHHHHH...Probably does't matter though :D ...Right :?

Aaron

AZZA said:
Turim said:

You caught me...I didn't have the book on me when I posted and just went from your post which mentioned alot of doublesing which confused me! yes I think you are right 12 + 4/level plus triple(a double double :D ) CON.. But then from a purely mathematical view it could be 4 times CON.. AHHHHH...Probably does't matter though :D ...Right :?

Aaron

Crom! This number-crunching is making my barbarian skull ache! :wink:

You are right from a strict reading of the d20 doubling rules, although I think its a bit odd that the CON part of the equation should become proportionally less important when you combine bed rest with a good doctor. I think I would prefer to just double all of it, or apply the double-double rule on the whole thing (I think I might be leaning towards the latter).

From someone who hasn't as of yet had the chance to actually play this game ( :cry: although next week I will :D ): am I right in assuming that you (at least at low levels) heal really, really fast in Conan? A day in bed will basically fully restore a lvl 1 character, even without the Heal check. I guess its needed though, what with the lack of that nice Mr Cleric to back you up.

Are there any spells that can be used for healing or is it just bed rest and the few potions that are out there?

Kilian Firestone said:
Are there any spells that can be used for healing or is it just bed rest and the few potions that are out there?

Potions? Spells? Where do you think you are, in Greyhawk?

Use short term healing after a fight (Con bonus plus level), then long term healing. I think a "Walk it Off" feat would be neat too, but nothing like that's appeared yet.

Like most magic items in Conan, the Golden Wine is best reserved for a plot device and not a collectable combat aid.

I checked AE and I'm wondering if the following can be correct:

According to pages 90 and 164 a 5th level character with Con 18 and receiving healing from a medic would regenerate per day

(6 + 2x4 + 2x5) x2 = 48 hit points

An average soldier with Con 18 has at level 5 only 52 (10 + 4x5,5 + 5x4)hit points, so this means even an almost mortally wounded soldier is 100% ready for action if he's got medical treatment for 24 hours!

I fear that I misunderstood something in the rules, but if I got everything correct, this healing rate is ... well, really astonishing.

How do you handle healing in your games? Do you have house rules with lower rates?

I agree that the healing is pretty outrageous. I just figure that since the PCs are epic heroes like Conan they are either supremely tough, crazy lucky, or both.

René said:
I checked AE and I'm wondering if the following can be correct:

According to pages 90 and 164 a 5th level character with Con 18 and receiving healing from a medic would regenerate per day

(6 + 2x4 + 2x5) x2 = 48 hit points

An average soldier with Con 18 has at level 5 only 52 (10 + 4x5,5 + 5x4)hit points, so this means even an almost mortally wounded soldier is 100% ready for action if he's got medical treatment for 24 hours!

I fear that I misunderstood something in the rules, but if I got everything correct, this healing rate is ... well, really astonishing.

How do you handle healing in your games? Do you have house rules with lower rates?

Hit Points are not wounds. Don't think of them as such. They are bruises and scrapes and fatigue (mostly the latter) and really represent the character's ability to either just barely get out of the way or to "roll with the punches" without getting seriously damaged. Now that last HP or anytime a character suffers 20+ damage beyond his armor, he get's Left For Dead and this has it's own healing procedure apart from "X amn per day".

Also, that's full bed rest so the character has to be holed up somewhere and immobile to get the benefit of the double rate. Any other ammount of reasonable rest per day (which I would include riding a horse, as long as it's just a walk) falls under the 3+CONb+Lvl version .

Hit Points are not wounds. Don't think of them as such. They are bruises and scrapes and fatigue (mostly the latter) and really represent the character's ability to either just barely get out of the way or to "roll with the punches" without getting seriously damaged. Now that last HP or anytime a character suffers 20+ damage beyond his armor, he get's Left For Dead and this has it's own healing procedure apart from "X amn per day".[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation, but I thought such things as fatigue and bruises mean non-lethal damage.
This was my theory: A fist punch is healable (correct english word?) overnight, a hit with an axe will require a lot of more time to heal.

O.K., a RPG is fantasy, the characters are heroes and not standard humans and Conan RPG has no instant healing spells like D&D, so it's maybe justifiable to heal at such an astonishing rate.

Hit points 'represent inherent resistance to injury and, in the case of living beings, the ability to avoid critical damage through exertion and skill. Hit points are an abstract concept and do not always reflect the true physical condition of a creature. Instead, a being's hit point total is a sum measurement of health, fatigue, and combat awareness.' (Conan the Roleplaying Game p. 160) That's what hit points have always been in AD&D, D&D, and d20 games. As a rule of thumb, a character's last number of hit points equal to their Constitution score represent actual physical injury.

There actually is at least one instance of magical healing in Howard, in "Old Garfield's Heart". But it must be rare, dramatic, and mysterious.

Yes. Non-lethal damage just means that it can't kill you. It still could mean broken fingers, gouged eyes and bloodied lips and noses. But the differentiation is between "damage" and "hit points".

Faraer said:
As a rule of thumb, a character's last number of hit points equal to their Constitution score represent actual physical injury.

In Conan this isn't even really accurate since 20+ points of damage above armor protection will drop any man-sized opponent way before the character is down to his "CON equivalent" number of HPs. Really, even down to jsut 1 HP left characters and monsters still function perfectly. It's zero HP that matters.

Another thing to keep in mind is that each hit rolled isn't just "a swing and a whack". When you roll to hit and succeed, it represents all the best swings and blows that round of combat for your character on his Initiative. Now that might be a single swing of a two-handed sword or a dozen jabs with a dagger, but that one roll of the d20 represents both equally and the damage inflicted represents the "whittling away" of fatigue and capability more than flesh and blood.

d20 is a very conceptual system in a lot of ways which helps it work in so many genres. By and large though, the healing rate is so high in Conan, I think, purely to get characters back into another fight without dying every other day "in game". (lol)

Anyone who's worn decent armour will tell you it's remarkably effective, also the archaeological evidence shows that a lot of skeletal damage is to the head or lower leg. So, you can either say "This is fantasy and these heroes heal phenomenally well" (quite legit. as this IS a fantasy game) or perhaps it's only when someone goes down and gets finished off that they take really serious damage (ie reach zero HP) - this appears to be what's seen in many battlefield corpses.

René said:

My house rules are:

(3 + Con + Level) for a full night's sleep
(6 + 2xCon + 2xLevel) for a full day's bedrest (24 hours)
(3 + Con + Level) for care from a medic during an active day
(9 + 3xCon + 3xLevel) for full bedrest with care from a medic during the day (the medic and patient sleep at night)
(12 + 4xCon + 4xLevel) for full bedrest with 24 hour care from a medic (or medics)

Con = Constitution Bonus

In other words, I divide the day into 8 hours of sleep and 16 hours awake. You get (3 + Con + Level) back for each period your rest in, and you also get (3 + Con + Level) for each period during which you receive medical attention.

A medic can treat one additional person for every 5 he beats the DC15 check by.

Noone gets hurt for long in your games, do they? (hehe) It's either "up" or "down for the count".

:lol:

Pharoah Kromium said:
Anyone who's worn decent armour will tell you it's remarkably effective, also the archaeological evidence shows that a lot of skeletal damage is to the head or lower leg. So, you can either say "This is fantasy and these heroes heal phenomenally well" (quite legit. as this IS a fantasy game) or perhaps it's only when someone goes down and gets finished off that they take really serious damage (ie reach zero HP) - this appears to be what's seen in many battlefield corpses.

Precisely. :D

Sutek said:
Noone gets hurt for long in your games, do they? (hehe) It's either "up" or "down for the count".

My system is pretty much the same as the book's, it's just broken down differently. I think the breakdown often leads to less healing than by the rulebook, and never more.

Which is still a lot of healing, yes.

I look at it this way: In the Conan RPG you are either not hurt or you're dying or dead. That's it. If you get dropped to zero HP, you're in the dying/dead category, otherwise you're pretty much unharmed and maybe just a little worn out.

Back