Has anyone read Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag?

A

Anonymous

I'd be interested to know more about this.

What's it's basically got in it?

It's sold as a description of a core sector.

Will I get fluff on imperial history and culture, and will I get answers to questions like whether there are roads in a TL 12 city with aircars?

Official Blurb from inside front Cover.

'During its four year, often irregular run, the contributors, among other things, detailed the whole of Dagudashaag Sector for the classic and rebellion period. Much of this vast library of information has been adapted and is now contained within this book.'

Well worth it. Its a huge read 380 pages and no I havnt read it all. I skim through it.

Tay said:
Official Blurb from inside front Cover.

'During its four year, often irregular run, the contributors, among other things, detailed the whole of Dagudashaag Sector for the classic and rebellion period. Much of this vast library of information has been adapted and is now contained within this book.'

Well worth it. Its a huge read 380 pages and no I havnt read it all. I skim through it.

To repeat the question, what sort of information is it? History, politics, what does a TL 15 Imperial high street look like? Things like that last question I find it diffucult to find answers for in the setting and it it's the sort of thing that comes up in games.

Moppy said:
To repeat the question, what sort of information is it? History, politics, what does a TL 15 Imperial high street look like? Things like that last question I find it diffucult to find answers for in the setting and it it's the sort of thing that comes up in games.

It doesn't mention anything TL15 that isn't already mentioned in the Library Data books. Lots of penis art though, so limits its demographic customer.

Its suggested price is $3, you can grab it for Zero.

I've only skimmed through it. Looking up the odd Library Entry.

Your questions presume there are actually answers that would apply to more than one city, or more than one planet. Why would a TL15 high street on one world look anything like a TL 15 high street 30 or 300 parsecs away?

Whether a TL12 city would have paved roads depends much on the city’s history, relative wealth, density, industry, culture, etc. You want generic answers for the minutia of the imperium, you’re going to have to come up with them yourself.

There are many descriptions of cities, archeologies, cultures, residential areas, etc. the term “high street” does not appear in the document. “shopping centre” does appear once, but alas, no detailed description.

So while the details are often more than you will find in other traveller materials, the level of detail you want does not exist.

Old School said:
Your questions presume there are actually answers that would apply to more than one city, or more than one planet. Why would a TL15 high street on one world look anything like a TL 15 high street 30 or 300 parsecs away?

Whether a TL12 city would have paved roads depends much on the city’s history, relative wealth, density, industry, culture, etc. You want generic answers for the minutia of the imperium, you’re going to have to come up with them yourself.

What you're saying make a lot of sense but I can't tell from it, if you've seen other roleplaying games?

They have products called sourcebooks that contain detail about the setting, usually going into such detail so that the GM (referee) doesn't have to spend hours preparing. For example, maps of different cities, each chosen for its differences because, as you correctly state, not all cities are the same. Even if one doesn't use these directly in the game, it still gives the players and referee a much clearer idea of what they're adventuring in.

Traveller does have these but the level of work you need to put in is much higher unless you wish gloss over planetary details almost completely.

Its technically a Free product (pay if you like it). Just grab it from DriveThur and scan through it.

I’m not arguing whether such things should exist. I’m simply saying they generally don’t for Traveller. Traveller is not like other role playing games. Most other games don’t have a setting with tens of thousands of worlds with combined population north of 40 trillion.

Even in officially published adventures and various sourcebooks, maps and detailed city descriptions are rare in traveller. Its just not a focus. If it is a focus for you and your players, you will be disappointed by Traveller.

That said, Encyclopeadia Dagudashaag is free, and IMHO contains more detail than typical traveller publications. So give it a shot.

Old School said:
Most other games don’t have a setting with tens of thousands of worlds with combined population north of 40 trillion.

I'm pretty sure the Pathfinder planes are spacially infinite, and that means the D&D ones probably are too. With some notable exceptions like Axis or Sigil.

But if each world is 8 digits, a name and a map-cordinate, then given half a day you could write some computer program to generate them until the machine melted. Given a bit longer it wouldn't look so random either; high tech clusters etc. Detailing all the worlds beyond this is hard work.

I've decided to use random Star Wars stuff for cities. As long as we remember which Traveller city is which Star Wars city, it should be easy to maintain consistency.

Moppy said:

I have read through the book in detail and was a reviewer on the final version.

It contain short descriptions of almost every world in the Dagudashaag sector. It also contains articles about the races unique to the area, a the politics of the area, and a few unusual features. It's 400 pages of background material and adventure ideas easily ported to your camping

Moppy said:
What you're saying make a lot of sense but I can't tell from it, if you've seen other roleplaying games?

They have products called sourcebooks that contain detail about the setting, usually going into such detail so that the GM (referee) doesn't have to spend hours preparing. For example, maps of different cities, each chosen for its differences because, as you correctly state, not all cities are the same. Even if one doesn't use these directly in the game, it still gives the players and referee a much clearer idea of what they're adventuring in.

Traveller does have these but the level of work you need to put in is much higher unless you wish gloss over planetary details almost completely.

Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag just has subsector maps. No city maps. You might find adventure hooks in the text if you look for them.

Old School said:
What Star Wars Sourcebooks are you using?

Between us we have a pile of star wars RPG, novels, and comics taller than I am (almost). However, the computer games (especially swtor) also provide a very good interactive feel.

You can use architectural magazines for plans for homes and offices.

You could use maps of existing cities, and rename streets.

Lol. I live on a long, skinny island with bridges to the mainland on each end and two bridges in the middle. Don’t think it would take them long to figure it out.

Back