Grenade Damage on a Failed Attack Roll

sshinn

Banded Mongoose
So let's say you want to lob a grenade into a concrete room filled with enemies. Do you need to make an Attack roll (perhaps to allow for a fumble like dropping the grenade)? How would you adjudicate a missed grenade throw -- doing no damage doesn't seem to make sense to me in this case.

If you implement grenade bounce, your party will eventually blow itself up. Not a problem for me, but should discuss this with your group. It will all sort of implications with grenades, rockets and even auto fire sprays.

If you really can’t miss, just don’t roll.

I’d make them roll a check. Difficulty based on size of target with modifiers for range. If you’re just trying to get close, it would probably be Routine. Over a wall or into a pit or ditch, Average. Through a window, Difficult. And so forth.

As for failures - you could simply rule 1 m off per negative Effect. Direction could be a 1D roll if you’re using a hex grid.

For a bit more lethality, I’ll give a grenade an AP rating equal to its damage dice if it ends up in direct contact with the target.

Linwood said:
I’d make them roll a check. Difficulty based on size of target with modifiers for range. If you’re just trying to get close, it would probably be Routine. Over a wall or into a pit or ditch, Average. Through a window, Difficult. And so forth.

As for failures - you could simply rule 1 m off per negative Effect. Direction could be a 1D roll if you’re using a hex grid.

For a bit more lethality, I’ll give a grenade an AP rating equal to its damage dice if it ends up in direct contact with the target.

This is a good idea, yet 1m per negative Eff might be too small - Frag Grenades have blast 9 if I am not mistaken.

An idea is - 2m per negative effect, yet it will still fail with result of -1 or -2 may not be a fail at all.
2nd idea is - a fail stats with -5m and then goes -1m per negative effect. More fiddly, but perhaps more fair.

Or option 3 - Gauge the situation as a Ref and rule result depending on the negative effect. I.e. if the situation is very favourable - the grenade has nowhere to go, even if it misses - still some impact. If the situation is not favourable - for example the grenade can slide or fall through a hole - then failure = no dmg.

Back