Gods of MMWG

Utgardloki

Mongoose
In one of the threads I mentioned that I have to figure out what to do with God. In a setting where people have cell phones with God on speed dial, it is necessary to think of His role in the campaign in more detail than I normally have to.

My view is that the Multiverse is big. So big, that not does every god exist, but every variation of every god exists. In fact, every combination of every variation of every god exists infinite times apiece. (This means there are infinity to the fourth power gods in the Multiverse. As I said, the Multiverse is Big.)

So the question becomes, which variation of the god sometimes known as Yahweh are we dealing with in the (M)MWWG campaign setting?

1. Obviously, this god must like dinosaurs, because as pointed out in another thread, He is going through an aweful lot of effort to bring dinosaurs to western Texas. Why? I'll tell ya, I don't know.

2. I am committed to treating Christianity, Judaism, and Islam equally. I've adapted some ideas from Mage: The Ascension to do this; essentially Islam was created to protect Christianity's eastern flank as the Roman Empire crumbled.

3. Given how women are treated in the Bible, the Koran, and by the devout of many organized religions, I have to come to the conclusion that God is more interested in males than in females. Perhaps he thinks of females the same way some guys think of kittens; sure they are cute and cuddly, and affectionately stare at you with those dewey eyes, but it is not long before they want to do their own thing, and they take off their clothes and open there legs, and then God just has to smite somebody.

4. This means that God is probably not very happy about how this Dang thing worked out. I mean, he takes a nap for a thousand years, and the next thing he knows, women outnumber men 9 to 1, and the "pagan" gods are making inroads taking over broad swaths of territory that He had Thought to be Secured. Now he has to work with the Renegade Nuns and Lutheran Biker Chicks etc etc as best as He can, despite the fact that these different denominations spend more time working against each other than they do working on His plans.

5. On the other hand, the betrayal of the Technocracy scheduled for 1860 went off as planned. I'm referring of course to the Creationism controversy, which has resulted in a solid stronghold in Texas and the rest of the Second Confederacy.

I hope nobody minds my pointing my satirical eyes at God, but really, with trying to combine Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, and Islamic doctrine into a cohesive body that takes into account the existence of the MWWG world, what is a guy to do?

I've read a few books by Terry Pratchett, including the book Good Omens that he cowrote with Neil Gamon.

Using my analytical aspect, I have to conclude that God likes guys, but He does not like gay guys. I'm guessing that during his time as Jesus Christ he came to appreciate what women can do. (Note: I've got to develope some sort of Magdalena Hair Trick feats.)

But even though women can be faithful Lutheran Bike Chicks or Renegade Nuns, it's hard to find a good gal who can be a guy. In the MMWG world, He's trying. Thanks to His direction, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders have become a tightly-knit team of world-respected ninjas.

I've finally come up with an idea that I sort of like. About 200,000 years before the dawn of our civilization, there was a flourishing civilization on the island of Atlantis. Eventually, Atlantis sunk, but survivors made their way to the other continents and became gods.

One of the gods was stripped of his name about 7,600 years ago. How this works, I haven't fully worked out, but 7,600 years later he has come to dominate most of the world.

And then the Dang happened. I suppose the only good thing to come out of it for Yahweh's point of view is that the "Whore of Babylon" was finally released from the arch where she'd been suspended for thousands of years, allowing him to prepare for battle against her so that she can be torn apart as foretold in the Book of Revelation. Unless she is actually able to do something about it.

But still, there is no doubt that by the time the dust starts settling after the Dang, that something has very much been screwed up. While I am committed to maintaining the validity of all the major judeo-christian beliefs, I suppose some people will be needing a good smiting.

The Charlton Heston vision of god, a slowly awakening wrathful old guy, is pretty much the vision I had of god for the setting.

The Christians see God as a Trinity, of course, so it makes sense that God would have three avatars. People in this thread have mentioned Brad Pitt and Charles Heston; I can use both of these as avatars. Then I can add the traditional image of Jesus from all those portraits, and I have him. Which avatar a character sees depends on which mood God is in.

That throws the George Burns and Whoopi Goldberg images out the window. They'll have to be other gods.

Okay, why Patrick Swazy?

We've got Charles Heston and the anonymous Anglo-Saxon model for the classic painting of Jesus. Why should Patrick Swazy beat out Brad Pitt for the third position?

I mean, George Clooney I could believe, but how many times have I heard Patrick Swazy's name used as the epitomy of what women want in a guy?

I think the Patrick Swayze reference is from Ghost, you know the 90's film with him, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg.
Another point is MWWG is about the superiority of the female over the male, so it stands to reason, given the "laws" that gods, or at least small gods :D , have to live by (according to Pratchett) is that seeing as more of the worshippers are female then God would be female.
Ask Mr Garibaldi and he would agree that God is female anyway :lol:
Also I'm fairly certain there are a few Islamic People who may disagree on the whole Islam was invented to cover Christianity as Islam is OLDER than the Christian religion, as far as I'm aware and I'm fairly certain that Judaism is older than both but I could be wrong on this, theology is not my strongest subject.

But enough of the "lets get the facts right" bit. The book you may want to reference about polytheistic religion and intergrating it or even about the nature of Gods in general is "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchet. Well worth a read about the nature of divinity.

I'm going on the theory that the god known as Aten, Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, and Krishna is definitely male, not female at all. I challenge anybody to read the Bible, and look at the world, and tell me with a straight face that God is not a guy.

There are goddesses out there. I'm working on the theory that Asherah was Yahweh's mother, and he decided to take over worship of her from the tribe that they were responsible for. I'm working on the theory that the gods were actually the ancestors of various racial groups, which is why Yahweh paid practically no attention to the gentiles until the Greeks more or less begged to worship him. Why else would a deity who theoretically wants everybody in the world to worship him mess around for two thousand years with a barely significant tribe in the Middle East?

I've also worked out the puzzle of why God wants a time warp in Texas to reach the Mezazoic. I just finished watching a DVD which contemplated the extinction of the mammals in a little over 100 million years, and I must say that I found it to be a bit of a sad thought. Perhaps Jesus is sad about the fate of the dinosaurs, and merely recreating them ala Jurrasic Park is not good enough for him; he wants to provide a way to bring the real dinosaurs back to the world. It makes sense, if you are in a suitably insane frame of mind.

As for Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, I don't know of anybody who claims that Islam is older than Christianity, nor of anybody who claims that Judaism is not older than both of them. The Muslims do claim that the Christians and the Jews went astray, and thus they were given the Real Book of God to guide them. Of course they would not be any more receptive to the idea that Islam was only created to protect Christianity's eastern flank, than the Jews were to accept my idea that they address the issue of the afterlife by stubbornly refusing the address the issue of the afterlife.

Now I just have to make sense out of the American Indian myths. The Mormons claim that the American Indians are descended from Jews who crossed the Atlantic Ocean and landed somewhere in America. Perhaps that is an exageration, but maybe I can find some elements of that theory that I can use.

small-god-jove said:
I think the Patrick Swayze reference is from Ghost, you know the 90's film with him, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg.
Another point is MWWG is about the superiority of the female over the male, so it stands to reason, given the "laws" that gods, or at least small gods :D , have to live by (according to Pratchett) is that seeing as more of the worshippers are female then God would be female.
Ask Mr Garibaldi and he would agree that God is female anyway :lol:
Also I'm fairly certain there are a few Islamic People who may disagree on the whole Islam was invented to cover Christianity as Islam is OLDER than the Christian religion, as far as I'm aware and I'm fairly certain that Judaism is older than both but I could be wrong on this, theology is not my strongest subject.

But enough of the "lets get the facts right" bit. The book you may want to reference about polytheistic religion and intergrating it or even about the nature of Gods in general is "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchet. Well worth a read about the nature of divinity.

Judaism is older Islam is 300 years younger. But all major religions currently around (except Sihkism) established prominence at the same time Islam was founded even though they were founded before.

Back