Glorantha: Second Age Kethaela map

Arlaten

Mongoose
I noticed on one thread that someone had a hard time identifying Hendrikiland and Esrolia on the Kethaela map on page 103 of Glorantha: the Second Age. The map is very beautiful, but the names used on the maps and the text do not agree. I believe that many newcomers to the game may be frustrated with not being able to match text with map.

To solve this problem go to the link below.

http://www.glorantha.com/new/fan/hocmap.jpg

Note that Hendrikiland mentioned in the text is called Heortland on this beautiful (though black and white) map and there is much detail here not found in the map in GSA. Note that the Hendriki are one of the four most populous tribes of Orlanthi, and so the name Hendrikiland is a bit misleading. It is probably best to refer to it as Heortland. Probably most of the area of the Savage Forest (on the GSA map in the book) is what is being referred to as Hendrikiland in the text on the same page.

Hope this helps,
Jay

Oh great! You spoiled it - I geuss we all know what becomes of the Clanking City now... :D

Seriously though, nice map.

Arlaten said:
I noticed on one thread that someone had a hard time identifying Hendrikiland and Esrolia on the Kethaela map on page 103 of Glorantha: the Second Age. The map is very beautiful, but the names used on the maps and the text do not agree. I believe that many newcomers to the game may be frustrated with not being able to match text with map.

As Greg's coauthor in the "History of the Heortling Peoples" (which Robin used along with our "Middle Sea Empire" book as the basis for G:tSA), I think it is safe to say that the names on page 103 are correct.

The map is based on Greg's map from pg. 59 of the History of the Heortling Peoples. However, that map is dated to the year 750 and is not completely up to date. In 900 Whitewall is no longer a ruin - King Androrfin has reoccupied Whitewall and it serves as the sacred fortress for the revived Hendriking tribe.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the map, but I really really encourage ANYONE playing in the Second Age to purchase History of the Heortling Peoples if they want Greg's pure concentrated Gloranthan background for the Second Age.

Arlaten said:
To solve this problem go to the link below.

http://www.glorantha.com/new/fan/hocmap.jpg

Note that Hendrikiland mentioned in the text is called Heortland on this beautiful (though black and white) map and there is much detail here not found in the map in GSA. Note that the Hendriki are one of the four most populous tribes of Orlanthi, and so the name Hendrikiland is a bit misleading. It is probably best to refer to it as Heortland. Probably most of the area of the Savage Forest (on the GSA map in the book) is what is being referred to as Hendrikiland in the text on the same page.

Sorry to correct you but the map you refer to is from 700 years AFTER the setting of G;tSA and is very misleading. The area around the Savage Forest was not called Heortland until after the Dragonkill. And the Hendriking are not one of the four most populous tribes of Orlanthi. Instead, the Hendriking are the most powerful traditionalist Orlanthi tribe in the area between Orgovalteland and Esvulariland - and in the 11th century they conquer large parts of Esrolia as well. After the Dragonkill, the Hendrikings are the Heortlings until they are destroyed by the Belintar the God-King in 1330. They cease to exist as a tribe until their sacred regalia is retrieved by King Broyan of Whitewall in 1617. They then play an important part in the Hero Wars of the Third Age.

Regards.

Jeff

Hi,

Sadly the map is not as accurate as Jeff would like to think, the Left Arm Islands and God Forgot are one place, the region known as the Left Arm Islands are in fact the Right Arm Islands, trust me, I wrote enough about them!

Simon

Blackyinkin said:
Hi,

Sadly the map is not as accurate as Jeff would like to think, the Left Arm Islands and God Forgot are one place, the region known as the Left Arm Islands are in fact the Right Arm Islands, trust me, I wrote enough about them!

Simon

Simon, that's because on Greg's original (on my wall), he wrote Right Arm Islands twice. But they were really outside the focus of the map.

Jeff

Back