Getting started...

lupus

Mongoose
Okay i role play a lot..If i'm going to start up what do i need apart from the main Rule book to get going...

lupus said:
Okay i role play a lot..If i'm going to start up what do i need apart from the main Rule book to get going...

Running or Playing it?

Either way some fundamentals to have on hand dice, pencils, paper, graph paper and a bunch of character sheets.

Source material wise.. unless you plan to start your game during the second, thrid, fourth or fifth season then the main rulebook has everything you need to start playing straight away. It contains enough material on the main races and universe to quite ably produce and run adventures.

If however you are running a game where the players are mostly all of a single species then i'd suggest getting the appropriate race book.

Rangers book is good if your group are wanting to play as Anlashok, and likewise if anyone wants to play a Psi Corp or Technomage character then those books are helpful (though you can quite ably play a psi corp character with just the main rulebook, the sourcebook just gives lots of source and additional options).

If you have no adventure planned I'd recommend the first part of the Babylon 5 story arc called "Fiery Trial" as it is a great place to start.

I'd be running it, but i'd still have to have the info for the players most wouldn't aim to buy something unless they had too...What about the Players Guide for D20 do i need it or can i get away without it...

You'd need the PHB and probably the DMG (although I don't think it's as essential). Apart from those and the main B5 book, you don't *need* anything else.

However the various race books are handy to have for reference (and expanded rules and equipment) depending on the type of game you want to run.

lupus said:
I'd be running it, but i'd still have to have the info for the players most wouldn't aim to buy something unless they had too...What about the Players Guide for D20 do i need it or can i get away without it...

In all honesty you could probably use the downloadable SRD (system Reference Document) info from the Wizards of the Coast site for anything your likely to need from the PHB or DMG.. so you could buy it if you wanted it (and it would technically allow you to play D&D too if you wanted an alternative game for occasional changes), otherwise i'd just download the SRD beforehand r buy the indexed, searchable PDF version from RPGNow or wherever if you want a spruced up "pretty" version version.

Alternatively, buy the B5 RPG and the Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook for the d20 rules (including the bits they don't put in the SRD, such as Character Creation and the experience tables)

Perturbatio said:
You'd need the PHB and probably the DMG (although I don't think it's as essential). Apart from those and the main B5 book, you don't *need* anything else.

You don't need the DMG.

LBH

Minimal differences between 3 and 3.5 as far as B5 is concerned i think, but then the only 3.5 stuff I have is the Mongoose Pocket Player's and GM guides, and the Monster Manual III and Advanced Psionics Hanbook from WOTC. not much to form a comparison on.

LBH

The main thing to consider is what are you going to be doing with your game. If it is going to be a canon game then you would need each season guide as well as the fact book for each race being played.

For a game set where the players can go off however everyone wants you would still need the fact books for your players (and NPCs) as well as the Galactic Guide. I do agree that if you need the Techno-Mage book or Psi Corps or whatever then go ahead and get those as well.

It really boils down to what you want to include in your game.

A canon game can be played without the season sourcebooks, just don't contradict the show. You have to define the scope of your canon.

As for going wherever you like, if that's what you're doing, then you can make it all up to suit you.

LBH

Yeah saw the pocket Players guide i think i'll go that route...I think the race books can wait for a little while depends on how popular it gets...Though i have a lot of Vampire stuff i could sell to fund a new RP game...

I've been Dm'ing for 20+ years now so i don't think the ideas will run out, they haven't yet...

If i enjoy it i may look to run it online like i did when i played vampire a lot...Used to have a very big site until having kids took me away from it all...We'll just have to see i guess....

The Mongoose Pocket Player's book is well worth the money. Not quite as nice to look at as Core Rulebook 1 but then it is cheaper, lighter and easier to lug around!

LBH

Back