German Marine Question.

ottarrus

Emperor Mongoose
For those of you who would know, what does the German Marine [navy] call the officer's brimmed service cap with the commander's white cover on it?
Historically, the cap was called a Schirmutze, but does a CO's hat have a slang term for it?

The Marine has expanded on the old U-Bootwaffe tradition of vessel commander's wearing their white 'summer' cover on their service cap. Now all ship commanders (surface or sub) and shore installation commanders are entitled to the white cover. I'm using the idea IM2300 Deutsches Stern-Kriegsmarine.

Historically, the cap was called a Schirmutze,...
Correct spelling would be "Schirmmütze". This word consists of two parts: "Schirm", which can be translated as visor/screen/shield, and "Mütze", which is a cap or hat. So basically it means visor cap.

Last edited:
Ah, two 'Ms' and my crippling inability to look up ascii text 😁
Do you happen to know if the white cover that signifies a commanding officer has a term for it?
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not. If there is a term for it then you would need a very in depth knowledge of German military uniforms.
Well, I'm sure there's one out there. It's just too unique a uniform item not to have some kind of off the cuff term for it.
Hopefully someone will see this and get back to me on it. You never know.

Back