FTL communications in the OTU (campaign idea)

kristof65

Mongoose
I had an idea for a Traveller campaign over the holidays that's been intriguing me enough to start fleshing out the idea.

The idea is to take a known fact about the OTU - that communication is only as fast as travel - and change it during the course of the campaign by adding near instantaneous communication over interstellar distances, and let the players ride the wave of chaos that ensues.

The basic idea is that PCs in the Spinward Marches end up with the discovery of near instantaneous interstellar communications. The entire campaign then revolves around what do they do with it, and how do they survive having it.

I haven't completely fleshed everything out - still very much in concept stage, but was wondering if I'm missing anything in the questions I have to answer as well as looking for ideas on answering those questions.

The things I have to consider:

1. Who invented the technology?
2. How does it work?
3. Why hasn't it been discovered before now?

My basic idea here is that an oddball genius scientist takes a long discredited form of jump drive theory, and twists it into this new form of communications. He has a hard time convincing anyone, and is basically laughed out of academia, a disgrace. Later on, one of his relatives who happens to have money and a soft spot for the old guy finances a limited test. The technology relies on ansible beacons that can't be further than 1 parsec away from each other, meaning a network has to be built. Thanks to an unrelated accident - probably a misjump - the original experiment never gets completed, and is beleived a failure - thus further driving a nail into the coffin of the idea.

4. How do the PCs come into possession of the technology?
5. What resources will they need?

Of course, the PCs, being the adventurous sort, manage to discover the "lost ship" with it's FTL ansibles on board in a remote location, abandoned and available to take title on under salvage law. They'll need a ship to find the lost ship and it's ansibles, then they'll need some expertise to truly realize what they've found, which means steering them towards certain careers/skills.

6. What will the PCs do once the technology is in their hands?
7. Will they hide it or share it?

Of course, this is a question I can't truly answer, but it's good to have some ideas about possible courses. The most sensible course is probably just sell the stuff to the highest bidder and be done with it, but PCs usually like having the "magic" items that give them an edge. Some PCs would probably like to build their own communications business, others would use it for advantages in battle/crime.

8. How the heck does everyone else react?
9. What resources do the PCs no find arrayed against them?

This is a huge one - it's game changing, and everyone, and I mean everyone in the OTU is going to want what the PCs have. Even if they don't have it any more. Each of the megacorps is probably going to have both lawyers and more clandestine agents after them. Universities and the more "enlightened" will probably want them to share their discoveries openly. The governments of the Spinward Marches - basically, every planet with a space force on up to the Zhodani and Imperium are going to try and grab it somehow.

Seriously, at this point, the PCs are going to have a hard time staying alive. It wouldn't surprise me to see a campaign filled with kidnapping and assassination attempts.

10. After it's begun deployment, what happens next?

Part of this depends upon where the FTL comm net begins, and what areas it covers. If the Zhodani grab it first, the Spinward Marches will likely be Zhodani territory very quickly. But say the PCs sell it to the Archduke in good faith, who begins deploying it to Imperial ships and systems among the Spinward Marches while sending off ships to Emperor Strephon to tell him of their good news. Surely someone in the Marches, or in between is going to see the advantage FTL comms gives them, and attempt to seize it to seize control of the Imperium.

Or what about megacorps who've long been used to haivng divisions work fairly independant of each other - how would the ability to contact megacorp headquarters on the other side of the Imperium affect their day to day functioning?

Let me finish by saying I realize that this is a very non-canon idea, but it appeals to me because it puts the PCs at the very center of what would surely be chaos and turbulence in the OTU, were it to happen.

First: I like the idea. :D

One way to introduce it could be a minor alien species that has discovered
it long ago, mainly because its science is not based on the Imperial para-
digms, and uses it as a standard comunications technology between the
few systems where it has settled planets.

In my view such an approach would be more interesting than the all too
common scientific genius, the abandoned ship and all that, and it would
add the plot element of negotiations with the aliens, who will demand mo-
re and more for the technology as they begin to understand how unique
and therefore valuable it is, plus the complication to "market" the techno-
logy before others also discover its source.

How it works ... there is a German science fiction roleplaying game whe-
re (almost) instantaneous communication is based upon the teleportation
of data crystals.
So, why not a very special kind of jump drive that is able to "jump" very
small items much faster than the usual one week delay ?
A possible "side effect" could be that this system can not only "jump" da-
ta crystals from one transceiver to the other, it can also transport small
amounts of other materials - explosives come to my mind ...

Needless to say, lots of people from all nations would be most interested
in any such system, from commercial interests through the military all the
way to organized crime (instantaneous drug transports, anyone ...).
Therefore the news about the discovery would attract more people than
a gold (or iridium ...) rush, and some of those people would turn out to
be very dangerous, for the characters as well as the minor race that in-
vented the technology.

Just some thoughts ... :wink:

kristof65 said:
The idea is to take a known fact about the OTU - that communication is only as fast as travel - and change it during the course of the campaign by adding near instantaneous communication over interstellar distances, and let the players ride the wave of chaos that ensues.

2. How does it work?
It's a fantastic idea, and I'm thinking of stealing it (grin).

The idea of using Aliens is one idea, I was thinking that a possible answer would be a misjumped Darrien ship. Have the tech being something which was secretly being worked on at the same time as their Star-Buster was originally deployed, but the people involved in the research died on board the mis-jumped ship.

Now to tweak it, you might make it a bit like the old Twilight's Peak.
Multiple clues on multiple worlds, the players getting a clue here and a clue there, until they realize they are onto something and start actively looking for new clues.

Perhaps the ship crashed on an alien planet?
Or into an Asteroid?

It's a fantastic idea!

Sounds good.

Yes ancients and aliens are possibilities. I like the good old fashioned research was being done on something else and something totally unexpected is discovered.

2. how does it work?
It's not perfected as communication yet. The characters will discover that a certain burst can instantly be observed in jump space.

1) Only reason it is discovered now is by accident.
2) Researching a new type of sensors for studying jump space discovered the phenomena

4. How do the PCs come into possession of the technology?
An accident has occurred.
1)The PC's observe the results of the accident
2) The PC's are sent to investigate the disappearance of a science vessel. When the discover the ship and analyze the sensor logs they discover the phenomena.
Ultimately, to have viable communication, a means needs to be discovered of producing a controlled sequence of bursts.

Imperfections with this means of communication.
- Everyone in Jump space can see the phenomena if they possess the right type of sensors. No security other than code/encryption
- Only ships in jump space will receive the communication.

Use this or don't. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

AS Quantum Physics becomes explored more and more I am getting a gut feeling that it will be the answer to FTL (nearly instantaneous) communications across space.

It already "breaks" a lot of preconceptions.

Treebore said:
AS Quantum Physics becomes explored more and more I am getting a gut feeling that it will be the answer to FTL (nearly instantaneous) communications across space.

:) And popular media propogates misconceptions even faster!

Hope you aren't refering to 'Quantum Teleportation' and the like (Einstein/Podolsky/Rosen entanglement) - this is a popular topic due to its naming (and application to quantum processing) - last year saw a number of articles (again - experiments go back near 20 years - theories back to the late 1920's).

As a technique for instantaneous processing (quantum computing ala qubits..) this is under active 'practical investigation' - IBM got in on the act early '90s IIRC.

However - while information 'appears instantaneously' - it only does so in conjunction with sublight speed communication - so it does not represent FTL communications... the words 'teleportation' and 'instantaneous' are correctly used in a technical sense - but are totally misleading in the popular perception of the meaning of these words.

(Quantum tunneling is another area that has led many to the misperception that quantum physics research has broken the light barrier or promises the means to do so...).

BP said:
Treebore said:

:) And popular media propogates misconceptions even faster!

Hope you aren't refering to 'Quantum Teleportation' and the like (Einstein/Podolsky/Rosen entanglement) - this is a popular topic due to its naming (and application to quantum processing) - last year saw a number of articles (again - experiments go back near 20 years - theories back to the late 1920's).

As a technique for instantaneous processing (quantum computing ala qubits..) this is under active 'practical investigation' - IBM got in on the act early '90s IIRC.

However - while information 'appears instantaneously' - it only does so in conjunction with sublight speed communication - so it does not represent FTL communications... the words 'teleportation' and 'instantaneous' are correctly used in a technical sense - but are totally misleading in the popular perception of the meaning of these words.

(Quantum tunneling is another area that has led many to the misperception that quantum physics research has broken the light barrier or promises the means to do so...).

No, I actually read journal articles. I got in the habit when my wife was a Medical Research Librarian.

So what exactly are you refering to then... nothing exceptionally new has occurred with respect to FTL in quantum physics in a long time - modern 'breakthoughs' in confirmational and mostly applied science do continue as industry especially looks to taking advantage of science known for a good fraction of a century.

Not to say nothing interesting is happening in the quantum physics realm - especially as high energy and notably space probes come online! The recent upheavel caused by the IBEX surveys are an excellent example - likely to yield a relooks at theories based on quantum mechanics.

Numerous theories, old and new, especially beyond planc distances are often popping up with promises of FTL futures...

But nothing to date in quantum physics points to a practical FTL communications method - that does not rely on sub light speed.

I don't really want to get into a discussion of how FTL communication might work in the real world. When I asked "how does it work", I'm mostly thinking in terms of Traveller rules.

For that purpose, I'm thinking that I'll use the J-drive rules for a 100 ton ship, but increase the TL for it.

What I'm really interested in is all of your ideas on how the various entities in the OTU - Sternmetal, SuSAG, Tukera, Zhodani, IISS, etc will all react to the sudden appearance of FTL comms technology.

kristof65 said:
What I'm really interested in is all of your ideas on how the various entities in the OTU - Sternmetal, SuSAG, Tukera, Zhodani, IISS, etc will all react to the sudden appearance of FTL comms technology.
Everyone who can afford to do so will send out his "ronin" to buy, beg,
steal or borrow the technology as soon as possible, preferably ahead
of all competitors or enemies, and to implement it as soon as possible
where it creates the most profit or does the most harm to the enemies.
For the megas this means instantaneous communication of market in-
formations, for the states it is about fast military intelligence and stra-
tegic command.

As for the Zhodani, I think they would also begin to develop a commu-
nications relay network to cover the huge distances from their home sec-
tors to the regions explored by their core expeditions.

BP said:
So what exactly are you refering to then... nothing exceptionally new has occurred with respect to FTL in quantum physics in a long time - modern 'breakthoughs' in confirmational and mostly applied science do continue as industry especially looks to taking advantage of science known for a good fraction of a century.

Not to say nothing interesting is happening in the quantum physics realm - especially as high energy and notably space probes come online! The recent upheavel caused by the IBEX surveys are an excellent example - likely to yield a relooks at theories based on quantum mechanics.

Numerous theories, old and new, especially beyond planc distances are often popping up with promises of FTL futures...

But nothing to date in quantum physics points to a practical FTL communications method - that does not rely on sub light speed.

The article that made me think of FTL communications had to do with a computer, and its method of information storage and retrieval using Quantum Physics. Its been about 5 years since I read it so I do not recall enough of the details.

kristof65 said:

The same thing that always happens, murder, theft, espionage, wars, etc...

You might consider doing some light reading, in particular

One Step from Earth by Harry Harrison.

It is about the development and changes that Matter Transmitters cause over time.

Dave Chase

kristof65 said:
...What I'm really interested in is all of your ideas on how the various entities in the OTU - Sternmetal, SuSAG, Tukera, Zhodani, IISS, etc will all react to the sudden appearance of FTL comms technology.
The will react at the speed of jump ;)

It would certainly be a desireable technology - but given an interstellar society of such longevity - its real world impact might not be all that significant - mostly effecting certain niches (law enforcement, skip tracing, military and corporate intelligence) in the short term.

On the negative side - remote locations could loose their independence. And if the technology becomes ubiquitous - a problem of information overload... not to mention, new forms of crime (false information, propoganda).

Trade markets would probably be slow to change and fear scandals involving 'insider trading', etc.

Consider - the world operated via runners and ship-going mail over long distances - when the telegraph (and later telephone) became available, they were rather quickly adopted, but there was no stampede of mayhem and murder to obtain the technology. And many things took years to accommodate real time communications. (Look at electronic checking for an example where technology provides key benefits, but takes decades to be embraced).

It sounds like a nice plot/settings twist - but as long as FTL travel is not being introduced - it would probably be more like when telegraph was introduced to the American wild west...

Treebore said:
The article that made me think of FTL communications had to do with a computer, and its method of information storage and retrieval using Quantum Physics. Its been about 5 years since I read it so I do not recall enough of the details.
Quantum storage and computation - revolving around the concept of 'quantum teleportation' - has often been portrayed as a method of FTL communication. Again - the term 'teleportation' is misleading and easily distorted to implying FTL...

From Stanford: After Alice communicates the outcome of her operation to Bob, Bob knows either that u* = u, or how to transform u* to u by a local operation. This phenomenon is known as ‘quantum teleportation.’

From Caltech: To perform the teleportation, Alice and Bob must have a classical communication channel and must also share quantum entanglement...

From wikipedia: Quantum teleportation, ... does not transport the system itself, nor does it allow communication of information at superluminal (faster than light) speed.

Popular media and newstand 'journals' are quick to pick up on this sensationalistic distortion and capitalise on it (I've read them :( ). I hate seeing this type of generally marketing/sales driven mis-information propogated (hence the reason for my response).

(FTL quantum tunneling and casimir effects fall in this same category.)

Another thing to consider - and this speaks to the op - is that FTL communications means causality would probably be violated (i.e. Time Travel effects)!

(Personnally, I quite hope for FTL technology - and keep an open mind - just don't like when our hopes are taken advantage of.)

Consider - the world operated via runners and ship-going mail over long distances - when the telegraph (and later telephone) became available, they were rather quickly adopted, but there was no stampede of mayhem and murder to obtain the technology. And many things took years to accommodate real time communications. (Look at electronic checking for an example where technology provides key benefits, but takes decades to be embraced).

That depends. Remember that radio communications was developed openly, in the public eye, by several individuals. We're talking about a single secret source, which (provided no-one gets a look at it) cannot be duplicated, and which is mature enough to be deployed straight out of the box.

That is an enormously big deal, especially if the first people to hear about it are a military-type organisation.

Look at the Honor Harrington series for some of the dirty tricks that a fleet with pretty similar tech limitations to the imperial navy plays when given access to FTL communications (the quality and cost of which improve during the books) capable of reaching cross-system (not even interstellar!).

Stage 1) Outer system stealthy recon platforms as a 'tripwire'. Data transmission rates are so low that the message largely consists of "THEY'RE OVER HERE!" and not much else.

Stage 2) Transmitters built into latest-generation fleet flagships for real-time fleet control across engagements of several light-minutes using a sort of 'morse code'

Stage 3) Recon platforms improved to stealthy drones with real-time data feeds (if not real-time control)

Stage 4) Recon drones given two-way links and armed, producing an 'assassination' unit capable of hitting critical targets (albeit those without point defences or much armour) such as sensor platforms or other orbital installations in the opening stages of a battle

Stage 5) Expendable long-ranged missiles equipped with FTL relays for direct command and control all the way into their terminal attack run, essentially making ship-bourne ECM and decoys useless and allowing hideously effective missile barrages that can devastate whole fleets light-minutes away.

If talking about an interstellar FTL system small enough for a civilian ship to be carrying several, I'm sure even more disgusting options can be thought up. System-to-system strategic missiles, anyone?

This is of course JUST the military side. The economic and intelligence advantages are just as profound. Have a look at Comstar in the battletech universe for the level of dominance/influence that an organisation could hold galaxy-wide if it has a complete lock on interstellar communications.

Another thing to consider - and this speaks to the op - is that FTL communications means causality would probably be violated (i.e. Time Travel effects)!
Not necessarily; any FTL activity potentially can, but then Traveller FTL is a 'point-to-point' hop. You arrive faster than light, but you never actually do much (in real space, anyway) that involves moving; there's no accelerating to/past light speed to worry about.

If we can ignore the constraints of physics there, then it seems doable to do so for FTL comms as well, provided it involves the same branch of 'fake physics'. As a result, some accidentally discovered/long forgotten branch of jump physics seems reasonable. Remember it doesn't have to be instantaneous - just several times faster than a normal jump drive (or else a courier remains the most efficient option).

Source for the technology:
Observation - do you want to fundamentally change the universe the players are involved in? If not, then the standard trick* of having it involve extremely high, non-duplicatable technology means that there are a limited (if fairly high) number of these devices - and right at this moment the PCs have all of those known to exist. This means that even once the campaign is finished, the devices can still be out there, but whilst important they don't drastically change the universe - not openly, at least.

If Imperial Intelligence has a half dozen, then they can seriously prod buttock - on the two or three ops a decade worth the risk of losing a device to the Zhodani to issue it (for example).

If you think something like the Lord of the Rings Palantir you'll get my mental picture. Which raises another mission for your campaign of 'what if someone ELSE finds a cache."

That also explains the ship in detail - some sort of archaeological expedition - and means that on finding the wreck, the records on the ship will point them at either the original dig site, where they can find out why the crew were so desperate to get home with these small chunks of equipment.

If human technology, then you need to think through the nature of the failure a bit more; if the ship is salvageable and its crew dead (starvation/thirst/suffocation) after a mis-jump and systems failure, then it's all easy pickings, and you can have the computer records to pull to explain what's going on. If the ship is abandoned, you have to wonder where the crew went.

Another question is what stage the experiment got to; had some of the ansibles already been deployed? If this ship was setting up a relay chain from system to system, then there would probably be someone at the other end; they would be aware that their ship had gone missing, and that that is not the same thing as the system being put in place and not working. Such a survivor might be a way of getting the PCs looking for the ship in the first place (even if they don't know what's on it). How they react on finding it is up to them**. It also gives a way by which third parties can find out about the technology before the PCs are entirely ready to deal with it.

* If In Doubt, Blame The Ancients

** "You know...we could just steal them..."

Nice post locarno24.

locarno24 said:
...That depends. Remember that radio communications was developed openly, in the public eye, by several individuals. We're talking about a single secret source, which (provided no-one gets a look at it) cannot be duplicated, and which is mature enough to be deployed straight out of the box.

That is an enormously big deal, especially if the first people to hear about it are a military-type organisation.
Like radar - which is a significant technology - that was kept secret (to the extent that today people believe that carrots are especially good for vision :lol: ). But what was its real overall impact (no pun intended)?

Just pointing out - that given an OTU which is not primarily involved in a great military campaign - and economicaly stable with lengthy communicaitons delays - the impact of FTL would not neccessarily result in sudden drastic changes...

The OP asked what the impact to the OTU would be - the answer could easily be 'not much' during adventure/short campaign time scales...

At the player party level - well - that is an entirely different story!

BP said:
Treebore said:
Quantum storage and computation - revolving around the concept of 'quantum teleportation' - has often been portrayed as a method of FTL communication. Again - the term 'teleportation' is misleading and easily distorted to implying FTL...

From Stanford: After Alice communicates the outcome of her operation to Bob, Bob knows either that u* = u, or how to transform u* to u by a local operation. This phenomenon is known as ‘quantum teleportation.’

From Caltech: To perform the teleportation, Alice and Bob must have a classical communication channel and must also share quantum entanglement...

From wikipedia: Quantum teleportation, ... does not transport the system itself, nor does it allow communication of information at superluminal (faster than light) speed.

Popular media and newstand 'journals' are quick to pick up on this sensationalistic distortion and capitalise on it (I've read them :( ). I hate seeing this type of generally marketing/sales driven mis-information propogated (hence the reason for my response).

(FTL quantum tunneling and casimir effects fall in this same category.)

(Personnally, I quite hope for FTL technology - and keep an open mind - just don't like when our hopes are taken advantage of.)

Don't worry, I know the caliber of what I read, and it was far higher a caliber than your links above. Rest assured they were peer reviewed articles by some of the best minds in the field.

BP said:
Like radar - which is a significant technology - that was kept secret (to the extent that today people believe that carrots are especially good for vision :lol: ). But what was its real overall impact (no pun intended)?
It made mass transports by air and sea possible. Just ask the people at
an international airport's tower or at a coast guard station that controls
a narrow strait what traffic would be like without radar, and then think of
the consequences for the amount of goods and passengers transported
and the prices of goods and tickets.

Treebore said:
Don't worry, I know the caliber of what I read, and it was far higher a caliber than your links above. Rest assured they were peer reviewed articles by some of the best minds in the field.
I'm sure they were - the links were to put things in simpler terms than my poor prose supports (really decent stuff would be in PDF format). :)

I am also quite sure that they did not in any way support true FTL communications!

Relativity does not forbid FTL - rather presents more problems - such as the infinite energy barrier. Quantum mechanics+Relativity provides a lot of insite into the real world. Add QCD and there is a lot to hang our hat on. But, to date, all these resist unification and provide no framework that supports practical FTL - even in theory. Quite the contrary - so heres hoping something new comes along!

Back