Free Companies: Renowned asshuri are mediocre?

SableWyvern

Mongoose
I am at something of a loss when trying to rationalise the asshuri as they are described in the text with the statistics they are given.

They are professional mercenaries from a martial culture constantly at war, rigourously trained, and apparently with an excellent command and control structure, as well as a brilliant grasp of strategy and tatics.

Yet, their MC puts them on par with the Free Companies or -- even wose -- the much maligned Zamorian regular army. This, I suppose, can be explained by inferior equipment, perhaps.

But their OMCS stats place them at level 2. Now, what exactly level 2 represents is an argument in and of itself, but not overly relevant to this discussion. What confuses me here is the comparison to Free Companies and Nemedian units, which are listed as being level 3.

I considered that perhaps the term of service for asshuri was short, and thus -- although well trained -- they are lacking in actual combat experience. But, they serve a minimum 5 year period, so that argument doesn't hold weight either.

So, can I ask what the reasoning for rating the asshuri so lowly is?

You might send Shannon Kalvar a PM and ask him.

Alternatively, perhaps those statistics are for a new unit of asshuri fresh from training and not for a seasoned troop unit.

Anyway, I didn't write the statistics for the units, so I don't know. I do know that I prefer getting asked questions about Road of Kings and Across the Thunder River privately instead of having to publicly "defend" my choices. Mr. Kalvar may have the same preference.

What does "OMCS" mean? Where do you find these stats that tell you what level the Free Companies and Nemedian units are? Where do you find the stats that tell you the Asshuri are level 2?

- Hollywood

VincentDarlage said:
You might send Shannon Kalvar a PM and ask him.

Alternatively, perhaps those statistics are for a new unit of asshuri fresh from training and not for a seasoned troop unit.

Anyway, I didn't write the statistics for the units, so I don't know. I do know that I prefer getting asked questions about Road of Kings and Across the Thunder River privately instead of having to publicly "defend" my choices. Mr. Kalvar may have the same preference.

Um ... ok, I guess my initial post conveyed the wrong tone. Apologies.

To be clear, I was merely asking a genuine question. I saw what appears to be an indiscrepancy between stats and text. I explained why I considered this an indiscepancy, and am looking for the author's view. He may well have excellent reasons that have simply eluded me.

I was not intending to come across as attacking Shannon, and if I did, again apologies.

As far as posting publicly goes, it would seem to me that there could be others who would also benefit from Shannon's answer, or possibly someone other than him on the boards with an opinion. I'm sure there are a host of "why was it done this way" questions around here.

Not an answer to the original question, but one of the highest MC I saw on the Free Companies, was that of Zamorian troops (MC: 13), when I thought Zamorians are not particularly good as soldiers.

Well, Zarmorian regulars are treated with disrespect in the text, and given an MC of 10 -- which is perhaps a bit generous, but they are reasonably well equipped, and potentially also fairly large units, so I don't see that as a major problem.

The Royal Guard seem well trained, and the Harriers have a lot of combat experience, and both units are also well equipped, so their MCs of 13 seem reasonable to me.

The Zamorian army can afford such a high moral: they never fought against regular opponents of others nations and just did some pacification operations against the hillmen of the Kezankian Mountain range and then probably in constant overwhelming numbers.
This army just avoids any direct confrontation when Turan or Hyrkanian riders come too near. So their generals can proudly claim their army was never defeated. :wink:

As to the Asshuris, I thought it was a warrior cast turning out as mercenaries. I would consider them elite light cavalry but quite few in numbers (in comparison with the Hyborian armies or even the other kingdoms) as I never heard or read of a united Shemite army. If it were the case Shem would be a major opponant to Stygia and Argos.

I've been wondering the same thing -- it just seems to not fit the write-up. If you get an answer in private, please ask if it would be alright to post it hear.

VincentDarlage said:
I do know that I prefer getting asked questions about Road of Kings and Across the Thunder River privately instead of having to publicly "defend" my choices. Mr. Kalvar may have the same preference.
Take this as a blunt comment and not as snark, Vincent, but you're a published author who has membership on your publisher's message boards -- message boards that are largely intended for just such discussions. Questions concerning the choices you made as a writer are par for the course once you join the industry as a writer, artist, publisher, etc. and you no longer really have the luxury of saying "private only please" if you want to interact with your customers.

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that filtering through a public discussion about the choices one makes as a writer often brings to light things one may have overlooked, even if the discussion as a whole isn't entirely valuable and is more a matter of the customer's personal preference than anything else.

Back