Free Companies Questions

MadDog

Mongoose
I have read through Free Companies and I had a few questions:

1) Page 44, Zingaran man at arms: what is the typical weapon

2) Pg 43, Zamoran Harriers: left column, top of the page there is an incomplete sentence in the first complete paragraph: "They........"

3) Pg 49, for the Knowledge (Warfare) skill, do you need 5 ranks of this skill AND 5 ranks of Knowledge (Tactics) to get the synergy bonus ?

4) Pg 83, Loft to the Sky spell - can this be used on an animate object - in other words instead of lobbing something at someone, lobbing the someone 400 feet up into the air ?

5) Pg 85: The Deafening seige ammunition seems to imply the existance of Thunderstones as per the core DnD rules ("Deafening catapault loads deliver massive thunderstones..."). True ?

6) Pg 74: Under Ballista, the description was cut off after "When they do so, they gain the following role action:....."
Regarding siege weapons, what feat covers thier use ? Exotic weapon ? Martial ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

ad 3.: I think there was a thread some time ago, where was said that the two skills are the same (different name because of proofreading / editing problems).

My take on question 3 is this:

It requires both 5 ranks in Knowledge (Warfare) and 5 ranks in Knowledge (Tactics) to gain the synergy bonus of +2 to Initiative.

Why?

Due to the fact that ConanAE Book states:
Skill Synergy
It is possible for a character to have two skills that work well
together. In general, having 5 or more ranks in one skill gives the
character a +2 bonus on skill checks with each of its synergistic
skills, as noted in the skill description. In some cases, this bonus
applies only to specifi c uses of the skill in question and not to
all checks. Some skills provide benefi ts on other checks made
by a character, such as those checks required to use certain class
features.

Notice the first line about 2 skills working well together?

Meaning Knowledge(Warfare) and Knowledge(Tactics) are required to gain the synergy bonus. To back this up in The Free Companies the bonus is listed at the end of the skill description under SYNERGY and is not listed anywhere on the BENEFIT line or within the skill description proper.

As this synergy bonus is VERY good, an investment of 10 skill points in two different knowledge skills seems a fair trade off. Add to the fact that these skills can be purchased with bonus INT skill points at 1:1 cost is icing on the cake. Remember that even though skills bought from bonus INT points are purchased 1:1 they cap out at cross-class skill rank max for level(unless they are class skills)

Hope this helps

Look at the thread "knowledge tactics", I'd go with the solution presented there.

P.S.: Sorry, that I don't give the direct link, but I don't know how to do this.

René said:
Look at the thread "knowledge tactics", I'd go with the solution presented there.

P.S.: Sorry, that I don't give the direct link, but I don't know how to do this.
Hey, here's the link to the thread Knowledge Tactics.

René: how I make a link is done this way: (I open the thread I want to link to in another window, makes it so much easier IMHO).
*Copy name of thread and past in your post (it's just text at this point).
*There's a bunch of boxes above where you type your reply, a "B" which is boldfaced, an italisized "i", etc. The last option is a box with URL. Click the [URL] link just above the box you're writing your post in. (When I click something it often appears at the end of my text, in which case I just cut it and paste the before the name of the thread. Go...ck the button, it will now show up like this:.

Hope that's not too confusing! :oops:

Actually, unless you've turned off one of the default options (I'm not sure which one), a simple cut and paste (or direct entry) of an address will automatically format as a link. The tag is not necessary. In response...Mongoose, and does not frequent these boards.

I sent the questions to Rulesmasters several weeks ago, but havnt heard anything. Am I too optimistic ?

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
I sent the questions to Rulesmasters several weeks ago, but havnt heard anything. Am I too optimistic ?

Mad Dog

I asked them a question, too - several months ago. I think they are very selective - by which criteria I don't know.

I think there should be errata on these questions. Maybe if all of us post replies to this then we will get it. I just bought the book(at gen con) and was disappointed due to the errors and missing content, not very Mongoose like.

Back