Fleet Size and composition Darryan and Sword World Federation

Thisdan

Banded Mongoose
In my campaign the Darryans and Swordworlders are clashing and I was wondering what fleet size they can field and how the fleets would be composed.
I would be glad to get some ideas. Thanks!

Classic Traveller: Trillion Credit Squadron has a big part of the book devoted to how much money each world can generate for a naval fleet. Exactly how the fleets/squadrons are organized is really up to you.
They should be very different though. Perhaps base the Sword Worlds on old Terran/Eather forces - so pick a current military and follow their ideas.
For the Darrians, I would just do what you think "feels" right. Make their squadrons based on 5 ships and multiples of that, instead of 4 which is mor common in Imperial (and Terran) groupings.

I don't specialize in either, so trying to summarize them would likely result in my summary missing nuances, if not misinterpretation.

However, Swords Worlds by Mongoose has a rather comprehensive section on their Combined Fleets. It looks interesting enough so that this evening I'll have another read through.

Darrian I vaguely recall that their fleet and ships are on the modest size, with legacy technological level sixteen starwarships hidden somewhere, and technological level fifteen ones ordered from Imperium shipyards.

Half the Darriaian fleet probably are repurposed merchantmen.

And perhaps consider their basic philosophies. At the risk of over-generalization and upsetting those who know canon better than I…

Sword Worlders seem quite aggressive, valuing strength and stature and bravery. Perhaps their fleets are made up of fast strike cruisers, hitting hard and quick and making use of shock and awe.

Darrians on the other hand seem contemplative and perhaps more strategy-minded. So perhaps their fleets are more defensive in nature but able to hit effectively when needed. They might invest heavily in sensor tech/ops and longer range weaponry to strike early and more often, relying on defense at more tactical ranges.

I don’t know, just spitballing. Fun question to ponder…

At some point you may have to decide whether or not the Darrians have another Star Trigger knocking around somewhere. Even if they can't manage TL 16, they're still likely to have a significant tech advantage over most Sword Worlds fleets; the traditional answer is to throw more ships at it.

Thanks for the input! I went with the 3rd Imperium book concerning fleets and gave the Sword Worlds 7 fleets to invade. Darrian has 5 ready for defense so let's see how this plays out. Especially as the Zhodani are backing the Sword Worlds up with some High Tech ships and more importantly mind control for sabotage of Darrian installations...

Thanks for the input! I went with the 3rd Imperium book concerning fleets and gave the Sword Worlds 7 fleets to invade. Darrian has 5 ready for defense so let's see how this plays out. Especially as the Zhodani are backing the Sword Worlds up with some High Tech ships and more importantly mind control for sabotage of Darrian installations...
Wouldn't the Darrians have higher tech ships and weapons etc from the Imperium tech level 14 to 15 compared to the Zhondani tech level of 13 to14? The Darrians would have counters to the Zhodani psionics as well with their own practitioners. Don't forget the "Nova Bomb threat" star trigger, the Darriens do have some anti mater weapons as well that would devastate a sword world if they wanted mass annihilation, or just jump drop asteroids on the planets kinda of what happened in POD with nukes. Or biological weapons that affect humans? (stelize the women and men and make it inposable to give birth the males, no more male Sword Worlders) would drive them into extinction rather quickly. (they could code it to those Viking genes as well... they are mainly scientists!) also don't froget there are Aslins mixed in with the Darrians as well so the SW would have some rude awakingings with boarding parties / invasions.

1. Since they order starwarships from Imperium yards, it means that they don't have the industrial capacity to do it themselves.

2. Quality over quantity.

3. That they paramilitarize merchantmen could be either cultural or practical, maybe both, in that they can't get enough from the Imperium, or don't have enough money.

4. A subsidiary issue would be able to maintain technological level equipment, which if they can't manufacture it themselves, or not on a wide scale, they still can operate and repair.

5. Any uncovered plot to commit genocide is likely to trigger a counter genocide.

Back