First Session Planning

Okay, so I'm going to be running Kovag-Re for my group this Saturday. I've decided to make some modifications to the module to ease my players into the game. My players will be one 50+ year old player, one 38 year old, one 11 year old girl (my daughter), and one 10 year old boy (my nephew). The adults are familiar with Conan, having read REH in the past. The 11 year old girl is currently devouring the Conan comic and is reading Harry Turtledove's Conan at Venarium (which I hated, but I thought it was good for her reading level). She is loving the character and the world. The 10 year old boy is familiar with fantasy gaming, having played D&D in the past.
Anyway, the game will start as the group rides into Arenjun, weary and parched from the road. One of the major landmarks of Arenjun that I will point out is the Tower of the Elephant. One of the party members, a Zamoran thief, will take the players to his favorite Inn (the beginning Inn in the module). That night, the Tower will crumble to the ground! Arenjun is in a panic and the word on the streets is that a Cimmerian was responsible for the Tower's collapse. Since there are two Cimmerians in the group, they will be arrested the next morning by the governor's troops. Oleska will not be the governor, but a wealthy noble who frees the party from prison to assist him with his problems. So begins the module.
If the campaign is successful, I hope to have the party continue to see Conan's handiwork in the world around them. Eventually I would love for them to assist in his overthrow of Numedides in Tarantia. Ah, a GM can dream, right?

Wicked Tinker said:
Okay, so I'm going to be running Kovag-Re for my group this Saturday. I've decided to make some modifications to the module to ease my players into the game. My players will be one 50+ year old player, one 38 year old, one 11 year old girl (my daughter), and one 10 year old boy (my nephew). The adults are familiar with Conan, having read REH in the past. The 11 year old girl is currently devouring the Conan comic and is reading Harry Turtledove's Conan at Venarium (which I hated, but I thought it was good for her reading level). She is loving the character and the world. The 10 year old boy is familiar with fantasy gaming, having played D&D in the past.
Anyway, the game will start as the group rides into Arenjun, weary and parched from the road. One of the major landmarks of Arenjun that I will point out is the Tower of the Elephant. One of the party members, a Zamoran thief, will take the players to his favorite Inn (the beginning Inn in the module). That night, the Tower will crumble to the ground! Arenjun is in a panic and the word on the streets is that a Cimmerian was responsible for the Tower's collapse. Since there are two Cimmerians in the group, they will be arrested the next morning by the governor's troops. Oleska will not be the governor, but a wealthy noble who frees the party from prison to assist him with his problems. So begins the module.
If the campaign is successful, I hope to have the party continue to see Conan's handiwork in the world around them. Eventually I would love for them to assist in his overthrow of Numedides in Tarantia. Ah, a GM can dream, right?
3 Generations within a group, that's nice and most pleasant and I like your introduction to the adventure with the reference to Conan.
And it is better for your players that the guard catch them then if it's Yara! :wink:

Back