First Adventure

Morpheus

Mongoose
I ran my first game of Conan yesterday and it was an unqualified success. The adventure was, basically, "Danger in the Westermarck" from the SoC download. I did four pre-generated PCs (a Tauran Borderer, a Zamorian Thief, a Bossonian Sodier and an Aesir Barbarian) and had the players choose randomly. There were only three players, so I ended up playing the Aesir.
The players encountered 6 Wolves (no problem), a Pict War party of 5 (no problem) and attacked a Pict village with 9 Picts, a Chief (3rd level Barbarian), a Shaman 1st level Barbarian/ 3rd level Scholar) and 2 summoned boars. The party fought tooth-and-nail, but triumphed in the end. I especially liked the part where the Thief was sneaking around a hut and ran into the Chief. The Chief hit him 3 times with a warspear and I rolled a 1, 1 and 2 for damage. Very lucky on the part of the Thief.
Some observations we made (nothing new or earth-shattering):

1) Armor with it's DR is fantastic against unarmored, primitive foes like Picts;
2)A short-term Heal (DC 15) check for 1st level PCs is a challenge;
3) We used Critical Hits & Fumbles and we had one player roll 7 1s during the course of the adventure. He broke his bow on the first shot; :)
4) I decided to cut the DR of animals in half and it seemed to work pretty well;
5) Some rules snafus came up where the book had made a mistake and these boards had come up with a house rule. I stuck with what was in the book and told the players that it will probably be changed; and
6) We rolled up new PCs after the adventure and the players liked the pregens so much, the PCs they made were almost exactly the same as the PC they played for the adventure. :D

We are going to do a Conan game now and I really like the ease with which I can make adventures (or use ones that are already made from the people here). It saves me a lot of time, which was one of the concerns I was having with D&D recently. I'm really looking forward to the Across Thunder River book and the GM's Screen when they come out (along with the 2nd printing). 8)

Go ahead and post some replies on some things that you found that are working in the games you run. Any, and all, input is appreciated.

SoC is "Sons of Cimmeria".

This is the original announcement:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1606&highlight=sons+cimmeria

hope that helps

Anonymous said:
What SoC download adventure is this?

Thanks!

"Danger in the Westermarck" whicjh was the last Sons of Cimmeria download.

Is there any way for those of us who joined SoC only recently to still get this scenario?

Thanks!

Matt has said that they'll make all the previous SoC stuff available again before they wrap the program.

Hey guys,

Glad you liked the adventure. It was my first Conan submission and I did it before I even had the rules! Now that Conan is getting recognized for the awesome game it is, we should see more adventures coming out that aren't so basic as mine and with a lot more detail and adventure.

Im glad you modified it to fit your campaign style and setting. That's the way it should be. I have submitted several other adventures to Mongoose and I have another one to be released to "Sons of Cimmeria" soon. You will enjoy, "The Black Altar of Katar", at least I hope you will. :)

I look forward to your feedback in the future.

Eric in Vegas

EricKRod said:
Hey guys,

Glad you liked the adventure. It was my first Conan submission and I did it before I even had the rules! Now that Conan is getting recognized for the awesome game it is, we should see more adventures coming out that aren't so basic as mine and with a lot more detail and adventure.

Im glad you modified it to fit your campaign style and setting. That's the way it should be. I have submitted several other adventures to Mongoose and I have another one to be released to "Sons of Cimmeria" soon. You will enjoy, "The Black Altar of Katar", at least I hope you will. :)

I look forward to your feedback in the future.

Eric in Vegas

Eric,

It was a great first adventure! When I was going through and modifying some things, I kept asking myself why there were no stats for the NPCs in the module. Now I know (you didn't have the game yet). I look forward to seeing your next adventure.

Morpheus

How can I donwload this first adventure, can aniboby help me please!!!!!

Back