Final Decision made

Well, we (players and I) Decided NOT to switch to 2nd edition Conan. I for one have too much money invested into 1st edition, and it works just fine for us...

Majestic7 said:
Isn't that a bit premature, without even seeing the second edition?

Nrmally I would agree with you, but you got to remember, the amount of time and energy ALL OF US have spent on this game and refining and houseruling and devoting to understanding the mysteries of the 5 foot step, and other intricacies on this forum.

I think that I will most likely buy the new product out of curiosity's sake but remain true to the first edition and my houserules which took many moons to develop.

Personally, I thiink the only way they could improve on CONAN would be to uber-simplify things.

Like I said; buy it yes, adopt it; probably not.

I'm a bug believer in "if it aint broke, don't fix it" and in this case, what was broke and you have fixed it, there is no need to embark on a new system.

THe only thing I see myself buying would be sourcebooks, not rules.

Not really premature. We have been discussing alot lately. We have a good system, with MANY house rules. Adapting more changes will definately take more time, and even more time describing something else.

When something works, LEAVE IT ALONE. I am finally taking heed what my better half has always told me...

Koski said:
Not really premature. We have been discussing alot lately. We have a good system, with MANY house rules. Adapting more changes will definately take more time, and even more time describing something else.

When something works, LEAVE IT ALONE. I am finally taking heed what my better half has always told me...

That makes a lot of sense. Your first post implied it was more a financial decision. If you like a game I always say support it as best you can so that it will stick around as long as possible. But under your situation I can see not wanting to mess around with more changes. But, I would still support it and utilize the new regional supplements.

I will continue to buy the regional sourcebooks, the (possible) thematic sourcebooks and, y'know, that big campaign we're waiting for. But I don't need another corebook. I've used the current game system so far, adding the (few) houserules I needed and dropping the (many) rules I didn't. So, the system I use may not be perfect but it does the job.

What I hope is that the second ed will bring new players into Conan. My wish for 2007...

My guess is that there won't be so many differences in the 2nd Ed to really talk about a change of system; a few typos corrected, some minor changes for scholars, a better organisation and that's all...

Personally, I will buy the book, as I've been buying every book of the line so far. I'm a Conan fan, a gamer and I work in the gaming industry. I know that RPGs are not selling well. If nobody buy the books, MGP will stop editing the game and we'll all be screwed...

It's a matter of player responsability. Everybody wants new material, but nobody is ready to pay for it. Buy the books, don't download them illegally and the game will live long...

I'm not going to switch rules in the middle of my current campaign. But I do plan to get the second edition and, if I like what I see, then I will probably run future campaigns with it.

Just my two copper.

It's a matter of player responsability. Everybody wants new material, but nobody is ready to pay for it. Buy the books, don't download them illegally and the game will live long...

*applause*

Well said, friend. Well said.

That's right. I will adquire the book, most because im a huge Conan fan and a collector, and something will be useful, i dont know, maybe a new and convenient rule, feats, skills or spells.

Not for buy the new editions i'll change my own house rules, so...

Greetings!!!

I'm just gonna be patient. I guess I owe the 'Goose that much. :)
If it rocks, I will certainly promote it, tell friends, post it on my Conan RPG website, shout it from the rooftops, tell my fiancee that the wedding MUST be Conan-themed, name my wee bairns Conan, Conan II, Conan III... :lol:

Okay, maybe not that much. :wink:

However, if it sucks, I will broadcast that too. *HINT, HINT!*

I've pre-ordered the book and intend to continue to support the line. I have only made minor tweaks to the Atlantean rules and have most of the supplements, so I'm far from disenchanted with the current edition.

I'm buying the book because:
1. It's supposed to be highly compatible with the 1stE/Atlantean version of the rules. I don't recall the post, but it's not supposed to invalidate the supplements.

2. Mongoose has already brought me the best swords-n-sorcery RPG I've ever played or GM'd. They've earned some customer loyalty from me. Even if I don't switch my campaign over to the 2E, I'm going to support them and the Conan RPG. I can always mine it for ideas or import the bits I like.

3. Their proven track record in supporting the line and source material.

And (for me personally) the most important reason:

4. They didn't jump ship on Conan OGL and take the line into the RuneQuest route. As someone who fervently argued against seeing Conan convert to RuneQuest, it'd be pretty hypocritical of me not to buy the 2E. (At least for the forseeable future) My future Conan RPG purchases will be supported by the Conan OGL rules, sparing me from either having to convert everything from RuneQuest mechanics or dropping the line altogether.

Azgulor said:
2. Mongoose has already brought me the best swords-n-sorcery RPG I've ever played or GM'd. They've earned some customer loyalty from me. Even if I don't switch my campaign over to the 2E, I'm going to support them and the Conan RPG. I can always mine it for ideas or import the bits I like.

I am very loyal to Mongoose, I have spent quite a fortune with ALL (Every book) Runequest, Conan, and other things I have got from them.

I am also a great Fan...

When I see the book in the store, I will concider getting it, but I will not buy it blindly - not knowing what is in it...

Koski said:
Azgulor said:

I am very loyal to Mongoose, I have spent quite a fortune with ALL (Every book) Runequest, Conan, and other things I have got from them.

I am also a great Fan...

When I see the book in the store, I will concider getting it, but I will not buy it blindly - not knowing what is in it...

You need to edit the title to your thread then:

Final Decision based on Content Visually Observed

:D :wink:

Spectator said:
Let's hope they fired the last proofreader they had and really checked the final product.

Amen to that!

I have really high expectations for this Second Edition (I mean, it's basically the third time they print this stuff, they should be able to get it right by now :) )

- thulsa

Back