Filed teeth hurt!

René

Banded Mongoose
AtTR p. 128 has the feat Teeth Gleaming, AE p.35 has the Darfari bite attack.

In reality both are the same: the savages file their teeth.

Why different game mechanics (1d6 damage vs. bonus when grappling)?

Because when I wrote Across the Thunder River, I wasn't thinking about Darfari, so I didn't think to go and look and see how that was handled there. If you prefer the Darfari mechanic, use it as a racial bonus for the Alligator Picts or for the effect of the feat. If you prefer the feat mechanic, you can use it for both as well.

The Darfari ability is both more interesting and more realistic, IMHO. It even complements the Alligator Picts' fighting style better (Improved Grapple).

I just changed Teeth Gleaming in my Word document containing all the published feats to match the Darfari ability.

TEETH GLEAMING (GENERAL, PICT)
Some Picts have the custom of sharpening their teeth.
Prerequisites: Must be Pictish.
Benefits: When you are grappling an opponent and you perform the Damage Your Opponent action (see ConanRPG page 179), you gain a +1 damage bonus and deal lethal piercing damage. This bypasses armor as usual.
Normal: The Damage Your Opponent action deals nonlethal bludgeoning damage which is not reduced by armour.

VincentDarlage said:
Because when I wrote Across the Thunder River, I wasn't thinking about Darfari, so I didn't think to go and look and see how that was handled there. If you prefer the Darfari mechanic, use it as a racial bonus for the Alligator Picts or for the effect of the feat. If you prefer the feat mechanic, you can use it for both as well.

It's always a nice thing to have the author on the forum! Thanks for the answer!

René said:
AtTR p. 128 has the feat Teeth Gleaming, AE p.35 has the Darfari bite attack.

In reality both are the same: the savages file their teeth.

Why different game mechanics (1d6 damage vs. bonus when grappling)?

You could always rationalize it by saying the different races use their teeth differently. Biting to hold versus biting out chunks of flesh.

In other words, when the Pict warrior leaps onto your back, grapples you to the ground and sinks his teeth into your shoulder, he's trying to lock you down so his buddies can help kill you.

If a Darfari bites a chunk out of you, he's just starting dinner early... :shock:

Darth Mikey said:
You could always rationalize it by saying the different races use their teeth differently. Biting to hold versus biting out chunks of flesh.

In other words, when the Pict warrior leaps onto your back, grapples you to the ground and sinks his teeth into your shoulder, he's trying to lock you down so his buddies can help kill you.

If a Darfari bites a chunk out of you, he's just starting dinner early... :shock:

Seems you're fond of British humour (hope this phrase means the same outside of Germany)! :D

Back